Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: tube biasing  (Read 9628 times)

BobW

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: tube biasing
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2005, 08:51:30 PM »
Or better yet, run them through a tester, if you can find one.......

I have a hickok 600A, the tubes test very strong still, so I'm pretty sure it is normal.  The entire quad does it not just an individual tube...

Nice !     :)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2005, 07:38:48 AM »
Back to biasing...  I just installed a fresh Quad (same tube family, 6550, but different brand) last night and watched the bias during the 20-min warmup:

0 min: 43mv
2 min: 44mv
10 min: 47mv
15 min: 47mv
20 min (ARC's recommended warmup time): 47mv

So in my case it looked like bias changed the most during the first 10 mins, but still only drifted by 10%.  Therefore, I think the idea of biasing them at 0 min and then again after recommended warmup time is a fairly good one...  Bias for my amp is supposed to be 65mv, FWIW.

On the blue glow...  I have never had a power tube that *didn't* glow blue to a varying degree. 

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2005, 09:13:50 AM »
maybe relevant, maybe not, but the only way I can contribute to the convo - but in a guitar tube amp,tubes glowing blue are not a good thing.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com