Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 rca input/output separate?  (Read 2029 times)

Offline cyfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
UA-5 rca input/output separate?
« on: June 18, 2005, 09:59:04 PM »
Gotta quick question for UA-5 genious types.
I have a digimod from Oade Bros.
Here's what I want to know...

If I run a soundboard feed in the rca inputs (on the back) and microphones into the XLR inputs I get a matrix recording in the optical out to a recording device.

If I plugged another recorder at the same time into the rca outputs (next to the back inputs) will the signal be a mix of the mic and soundboard feeds, or will it just be the soundboard feed? I hope it's the latter cuz that would save me buying some cables and splitters. Also, if I'm running a second recorder from the RCA outs at the same time as the optical out, does it sap any of the gain from the optical out?

Thanks.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: UA-5 rca input/output separate?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2005, 11:23:37 PM »
If I plugged another recorder at the same time into the rca outputs (next to the back inputs) will the signal be a mix of the mic and soundboard feeds, or will it just be the soundboard feed?

The UA-5 doesn't have analog passthrough - all analog signals are converted to digital (ADC) then converted back to analog for output (DAC).  The RCA output will be the mix of inputs 1 & 2 (front XLRs) with 3 & 4 (rear RCAs), same as the digital output.

if I'm running a second recorder from the RCA outs at the same time as the optical out, does it sap any of the gain from the optical out?

Nope.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 11:36:35 PM »
Damn. I was wanting to run a separate straight board feed into one JB3 and another matrix optical into a second JB3. Now I gotta buy more cables and splitters to separate the board feed first  :(

Thanks for the info though.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 02:44:15 PM »
Also, if you're going to pass an analog feed out of a digi-modded UA-5 you have to keep the monitor button OFF (counter intuitive) or it'll mess up your sound.  I believe the 'output' knob will still control your analog output levels.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com