Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: do sbm-1s have a pre?  (Read 1993 times)

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
do sbm-1s have a pre?
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:55:08 PM »
I see like a level knob on the top in pictures. Is it strictly a AD or a pre/AD? 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: do sbm-1s have a pre?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 09:02:17 PM »
Pre>ADC.  No PH power though. 

T
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
It does add gain when running into the 1/4" inputs, but 99% of the use you'll see is through the RCAs, and in that case it's strictly an A/D. The level knob acts as a resistor (so it actual attenuates the signal except when run wide open) when being used as an A/D.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 04:39:22 AM »
I acquired a Wmod SBM-1 not too long ago...  so since it's been modified, the 1/4" and 1/8" inputs are disabled...  which means that the preamp is disabled... which leaves me with only the RCA's for an input.  Not sure, but I do think that it has a preamp section that is used when using either the 1/8" or the 1/4" mic inputs.  Not sure about that though!!!  I'm still in the market for a preamp, but timing hasn't been quite right yet on picking one up...  so I've just used it for the first time recently for the Flaming Lips... and ran a battery powered stereo mic straight into the RCA's...  and with the gain knob pretty wide-open (a hair over 8 on the dial) and my recorder levels fairly high...  it came out pretty darn good... in my opinion.  Still would like to pick up a pre though!!!  As far as I've discovered, and so far in my very limited use of it...  I would go as far as to state that the Wmod SBM-1 is as good as a 16bit A/D is gonna get......  that's my opinion, and I'll stick to it......  that is, until it changes :wink2:!!! 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com