Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)  (Read 103177 times)

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • goes to 11
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 7)
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2016, 01:17:07 PM »

No I haven't been burned but I use a different Tascam deck. You are new so you might not have been aware of the flare up that happened on this board regarding this deck, it's early adopters and problems with memory cards.

The official answer from Tascam is to use a card from their approved list to avoid problems. New members may not be aware of the previous problems with this deck and may take your comment to be validated truth when it is only a few runs without a glitch.

On the other hand you may be able to use these discount cards till the end of time without a hiccup. Hope so!

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline iamhammered

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2016, 02:45:53 PM »
10-4!

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2016, 09:29:22 PM »
Please help,

After almost 2 years with no problems at all using the Dr70D, 2 track or 4 track with external mics in several situations, field recording, concerts, recording for CD release, etc, with a brief stop of 2 weeks, otherwise the recorder is always working.
I had a project of field recordings and preparing the equipment, I turn on the recorder with my usual XY setup (2 oktavas mouted on a rode zeeplin), I noticed that even with 48v phantom power engaged, I had no monitoring, checked the settings, check the cables, changed them, nothing, tested the built-in mics and still nothing, changed the card, checked the firmware, and no arming of tracks or even monitoring from externals or bulit-in mics...

Didn't had any problems with it, no physical damage, no drops, nothing that could prompt this...  one morning, after turned on, just didn´t feel like working...

Anyone had similar problem? I really like the recorder, its clean and honest, but its quite frustrating, had several audio recorders, and none showed this kind of behaviour, even the brands that some people always say they're crap, like the Zoom´s.
Its quite incredible something like this happen, had a DAP-1 for more that a decade, and always ready for work... but these is just plain nonsense... factory reset? It turns on, and everything looks alright, but no monitoring, no rec track arming,

Anyone? similar context? Plaese help

thanks in advance,
Carlos Santos

Sounds like you were pretty thorough in your testing.  The one item I didn't see was checking the power source.  Did you try internal AA batteries vs. external powering?

When you say "checked the firmware", do you mean that you re-installed the latest firmware?

The only other thing I might try is a complete refresh to factory settings.  Do that by going to OTHERS > SYSTEM > INITIALIZE.  Then confirm you have the latest firmware and reinstall if necessary.  If you still do not get any results, then it's probably time to call Tascam tech support.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2016, 10:52:07 PM »
Please help,

After almost 2 years with no problems at all using the Dr70D, 2 track or 4 track with external mics in several situations, field recording, concerts, recording for CD release, etc, with a brief stop of 2 weeks, otherwise the recorder is always working.
I had a project of field recordings and preparing the equipment, I turn on the recorder with my usual XY setup (2 oktavas mouted on a rode zeeplin), I noticed that even with 48v phantom power engaged, I had no monitoring, checked the settings, check the cables, changed them, nothing, tested the built-in mics and still nothing, changed the card, checked the firmware, and no arming of tracks or even monitoring from externals or bulit-in mics...

Didn't had any problems with it, no physical damage, no drops, nothing that could prompt this...  one morning, after turned on, just didn´t feel like working...

Anyone had similar problem? I really like the recorder, its clean and honest, but its quite frustrating, had several audio recorders, and none showed this kind of behaviour, even the brands that some people always say they're crap, like the Zoom´s.
Its quite incredible something like this happen, had a DAP-1 for more that a decade, and always ready for work... but these is just plain nonsense... factory reset? It turns on, and everything looks alright, but no monitoring, no rec track arming,

Anyone? similar context? Plaese help

thanks in advance,
Carlos Santos

Sounds like you were pretty thorough in your testing.  The one item I didn't see was checking the power source.  Did you try internal AA batteries vs. external powering?

When you say "checked the firmware", do you mean that you re-installed the latest firmware?

The only other thing I might try is a complete refresh to factory settings.  Do that by going to OTHERS > SYSTEM > INITIALIZE.  Then confirm you have the latest firmware and reinstall if necessary.  If you still do not get any results, then it's probably time to call Tascam tech support.

Good suggestion Volt! That's what I would try too! Bummer you're having issues :( Also, what SD Card are you using?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #334 on: December 16, 2016, 08:33:13 PM »

Thanks Volt, yes I did initialized it to factory settings and re-installed the latest firmware (DR-70D_b70.114)... but the same... I tried 2 different sets of eneloops, and external power from USB (computer) and the same result... I used the card that always have used, a Sandisk Ultra 8gb (30mb/s) and also a Kingston 4gb (class 4) and still nothing...  It turns on, but no monitoring from any input... even starts recording, but no signal, its like the preamps controller just gave up... I dont know...

I'll have to send it back to the reseller for repair, but its quite a thing because I bought it in Europe from a big online store, Thomman, and they'll take 3 to 4 weeks to check it and perhaps send it back to Tascam's.... for further checking..
In the meanwhile I manage a borrowed Dr70D from a friend, same card, same batteries, and everything went smooth... 

Don't know... thinking going Zoom F4 if this turns out bad... more expensive, but better preamps, kind of mixer onboard, XLR out, nicer screen, a bit bigger... I really like the size and portability of the Dr70D, but I'm not trusting Tascam again...I don't know when it it will happened again... :-(

Thanks for the advice Volt and F.O.Bean

Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), DIY Primo 172 48v matched stereo, Sony ECM 55B (Lav), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rode Blimp II, sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #335 on: December 17, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »

Thanks Volt, yes I did initialized it to factory settings and re-installed the latest firmware (DR-70D_b70.114)... but the same... I tried 2 different sets of eneloops, and external power from USB (computer) and the same result... I used the card that always have used, a Sandisk Ultra 8gb (30mb/s) and also a Kingston 4gb (class 4) and still nothing...  It turns on, but no monitoring from any input... even starts recording, but no signal, its like the preamps controller just gave up... I dont know...

I'll have to send it back to the reseller for repair, but its quite a thing because I bought it in Europe from a big online store, Thomman, and they'll take 3 to 4 weeks to check it and perhaps send it back to Tascam's.... for further checking..
In the meanwhile I manage a borrowed Dr70D from a friend, same card, same batteries, and everything went smooth... 

Don't know... thinking going Zoom F4 if this turns out bad... more expensive, but better preamps, kind of mixer onboard, XLR out, nicer screen, a bit bigger... I really like the size and portability of the Dr70D, but I'm not trusting Tascam again...I don't know when it it will happened again... :-(

Thanks for the advice Volt and F.O.Bean

That's really unfortunate; sorry to hear you're having trouble.  As far as service, I'm not sure why you would have to go through Thomman for repair; I would think Tascam would have you send it to a service center directly.

And yes, the Zoom F4 does look really attractive, but personally when I upgrade I'm going to save a bit more money towards an F8, unless a really screaming deal on a SD 788 falls into my lap.

As far as not trusting Tascam or any other manufacturer, I think to really buy yourself true peace of mind you need to go to one of the fully professional recorders from Sound Devices, Aeta, Zaxcom, etc.  Some of what you're paying for is the high reliability and robust support.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #336 on: December 17, 2016, 07:25:54 PM »
NEW CONFIRMED SD CARD THAT WORKS FLAWLESS

The official Tascam TESTED MEDIA LIST is on the downloads page, and does not show any Samsung cards at all.
http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/downloads/

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline iamhammered

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #337 on: December 17, 2016, 10:20:52 PM »
I know its not on the list I am just saying I have had great success with it. Sorry I even posted it.

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #338 on: December 17, 2016, 11:00:58 PM »
I know its not on the list I am just saying I have had great success with it. Sorry I even posted it.

Don't get butthurt about it. You probably haven't read the previous threads about this recorder and the problems people had early on.

Only reason I posted about it at all is that I wouldn't want a new user to come along, read your comment in the most recent thread and think that the card you linked and claimed "confirmed" and "flawless" meant that Tascam had tested it...not that you have taken it out for a spin a few times and not gotten burned.

Happy Taping! :cheers:
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #339 on: December 18, 2016, 05:41:42 AM »
Yeah that always scare me when I hear another DR70D horror story :( I mean, if one of mine shit the bed, I'd probably be PISSED, and just use the backup 70D that I have! But i would ALWAYS wonder if I was going to get burned again, just like you are :( I do like the look of the F4 too, because it has that extra 5/6 input, but like Volt said, its STILL a ZOOM, just like my 70D is JUST a Tascam! If you want something really reliable, you might have to spend BIG $$ to get it!

That said, my 70D is JUST as reliable as my 722 was[up to this point anyway after owning a 70D for almost 2 years!] and WAY more reliable than my D8 DAT was lol! I've oddly seen a few 70D sources patch some REALLY highend decks this year, so that always gave me a laugh when I saw a lowly DR70D patch an SXR4 & SD7xx & Aeta all this year alone ;D So I think if you buy a HQ SD Card[SanDisk Extreme Pro] that's in Tascam's "approved list", then you SHOULD be good to go! I mean what deck is 100% reliable? NONE, that's how many ;) I'm sure every recorder and model in existence has flawwed at least ONCE in the lives of all of those decks/models produced! Even an SD 7xx has FUC*ED UP before!! I ran a Sony M10 as a backup to my VMS>DR70D source for OVER a year, and didn't need the M10 backup source ONCE! Not a SINGLE time. My 70D was that successful[*knock on wood* lol]. I am buying a 128gb SanDisk Extreme Pro here in the next couple of days though, so that ALL of my 70D SD Cards are SanDisk Extreme Pro's from the "approved" list :) I'll feel a little safer that way for sure :)

Offline brainz11203

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2017, 09:58:10 PM »
Wedding Videographer here, the issue I'm hving is when it comes to the toast. When I set the mixer to line level to record the DJs feed I have no issue but sometimes when a person is giving a toast even at max on the knob the signal is low. I'm not sure if I should set the gain to MID or high so I have more wiggle room on the high end. Or just just one side to mic level. Any suggestions?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #341 on: January 14, 2017, 11:51:39 PM »
Wedding Videographer here, the issue I'm hving is when it comes to the toast. When I set the mixer to line level to record the DJs feed I have no issue but sometimes when a person is giving a toast even at max on the knob the signal is low. I'm not sure if I should set the gain to MID or high so I have more wiggle room on the high end. Or just just one side to mic level. Any suggestions?

I would certainly try MID gain level if LOW is too low, before I started worrying about it ;) MID should hopefully give you enough gain. If not, then try HIGH! I think the HIGH+ gain mode is the one that's pretty noisy?! But I would have no problems running MID or HIGH if I needed that much gain!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #342 on: February 04, 2017, 10:24:12 PM »
I've been running battery runtime tests with my new +60v PFA's on all 4 channels of my DR-70D@24/96, and 24v Phantom Power instead of 48v Phantom! Anyway, just to put yinz guys fears at ease about this, I thought that I'd post about it!

I remember awhile back that someone was worried that they would shut their DR70D OFF/DOWN, if they held the Power/Hold button in the DOWN position too long[in the Hold OFF position], while the deck was recording! Well, I have been playing around with it, and that's 100% IMPOSSIBLE TO DO while recording, at least on the v1.14 FW! If I'm rolling/recording, I can take the DR70D OFF HOLD, and hold it in the DOWN position for as long as I want to, and the DR70D WILL NOT shut off or down UNTIL I hit stop first and STOP RECORDING, then it will shut down or OFF!

So there's NO WORRY of turning your DR70D OFF while taking it OFF OF HOLD, while you're still recording, and having it in the completely DOWN position on the Power/HOLD button! Like I said, as long as you're RECORDING, it's 100% IMPOSSIBLE to shut your DR70D OFF, unless you hit STOP FIRST ;)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »
^Thanks thats good info bean!! 
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #344 on: February 06, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
Yea I forgot about that!

I forgot too - I knew - but so rarely encountered the situation.

But with regard to the level changes on LOW between firmwares...

I was running my Avantone CK1 Omnis - split - about 25-30 feet from the stage - large-ish PA, classic JBL cabinets.

Sounding good - but I wouldn't call it loud.

I was on LOW - but was still getting more peaks than I was comfortable with - and I was already on the max low side of the knob without muting the channel.

Im thinking the older firmwares LOW setting would have handled this just fine...?

This was the first time I have run the Avantones since I got the DR-70D about a year and half ago - so I have no before and after firmware wise.

But this is the first time that I felt I was getting a level that I could NOT CONTROL with any combination of settings - short of engaging the mics 10db pad.

My setup below VVV

So I'm considering getting a 70d for the rare 4 channel shows I do.  Just started reading up and saw this post.  It got me wondering, where you running mic in or line?  external pre or using the 70d pre?

I'll be running my littlebox in front  of the 70d and getting the gain from the littlebox.  So essentially I need to run gain at "unity".  I'm guessing I would need to therefor run the gain as far over as possible without turning the channel off.  This feature and your post really worries me!
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.222 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com