Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EQ While Listening  (Read 10788 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
EQ While Listening
« on: September 08, 2016, 04:53:45 PM »
Right now I'm limited by using a Macbook and Audacity.  Any way I can hear the EQ adjustment while playing back the file?  I'm listening to a recording that could benefit from a little EQ IMO. 
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: EQ While Listening
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 07:21:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read in the Audacity thread that the newest version has real time EQ playback but I haven't found it.

I use Reaper for EQ'ing personally.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:56:17 PM by achalsey »

Offline Limit35

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »

I use Audacity under Linux and have the same issue, I just listen to the recording and real time EQ with VLC. Then I can later EQ with more detail in Audacity because  I already know which frequencies I need to work on. Since I am doing smaller adjustments at that point the micro preview isn't so bad anymore.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:11:59 AM »
I use Fidelia for playback, which allows for 3 au plugins.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:10:43 AM »
Right now I'm limited by using a Macbook and Audacity.  Any way I can hear the EQ adjustment while playing back the file?  I'm listening to a recording that could benefit from a little EQ IMO.
This is my main complaint about Audacity. I've been using it for about 6-8 months now having switched from Wavelab (or more accurately, using a new computer and don't wish to pay for Wavelab again!  :smash:)
I've taken to loading the raw file in foobar2000 and doing EQ's while listening live then just imitating the same curves on the Audacity file.
If you don't take any further action, you can always just "undo equalization" go back to the raw file and equalize again using different settings.
Still a PITA and if anyone knows if the newer version of Audacity (I'm on 2.1.2) does this or of any free plugins, please let us know.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 09:27:01 AM »
I find it kind of odd that people here spend lots of money on gear and recording shows but won't pay for a proper audio editor.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
Another vote for Reaper. All this other stuff sounds like a workflow nightmare.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2016, 10:37:01 AM »
I can't imagine trying to work with EQ without having immediate feedback combined with fine granular control.  It's simply too exacting, fundamental, and important.  One has to be able to listen accurately while making EQ decisions and adjustments, otherwise it's like trying to draw or paint in the dark.  Plato exiting the allegorical cave and experiencing a greater-dimensional reality then heading back in and trying to translate that experience via shadows projected on the wall.

It's difficult enough working around the deficiencies of the monitoring system so as not to unwittingly correct for them while making EQ modifications to the recording- Plato so overwhelmed by the near impossible task of translating the greater reality outside the cave through flickering shadows on the wall, that he completely forgets he's wearing badly scratched and oddly-tinted prescription sunglasses.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 11:08:04 AM »
I find it kind of odd that people here spend lots of money on gear and recording shows but won't pay for a proper audio editor.
I like to tell people I am the lowest tech High Tech guy you will ever meet. This is why I've not spent money on Schoeps or Ambisonics etc. I like the AKG sound, I know there are "better" options but choose to spend the money on tickets and travel. I don't wish to derail this thread anymore, but since this reply was obviously meant for this "people" who just posted their aversion to wanting to buy wavelab I thought I must respond.

Back on topic- can anyone tell me if Izotope OZONE 7  is worth the $249 specifically for doing post processing? (or point me to a different Izotope product). I won't be doing any studio work with it.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/master-and-deliver/ozone.html
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:48:06 AM by rocksuitcase »
music IS love

Offline JimmieC

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
You can use the ReaPlugs Edition (free) in Audacity for realtime eq.  http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 03:11:12 PM »
You can use the ReaPlugs Edition (free) in Audacity for realtime eq.  http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
Thanks for this link JimmieC.

Gutbucket, that cartoon is awesome.! I've not thought about Plato's cave in ages. Thanks for the laugh (and also for adding that what Audacity makes one do is not "best practice")
music IS love

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 03:38:05 PM »
Back on topic- can anyone tell me if Izotope OZONE 7  is worth the $249 specifically for doing post processing? (or point me to a different Izotope product). I won't be doing any studio work with it.
I got Ozone 5 (basic) a few years ago and love it - at that time $199.  An upgrade to Ozone 7 will just be $99.  However, I waded into post processing incrementally.  My first real purchase was Soundforge 10 and I then scoured the web for free VST plugin's to use with it.  Those plugins were a big time step up for me and whetted my appetite, and within a year or two I made the step up to Ozone 5.  Sometimes I still use some of those plugins and still look for free plugins.  This may just me, but I love post (mastering) work.   
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 03:41:56 PM by buckster »

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »

Looks to be for Windows only. 

I'll give Reaper a try if my mac isn't too old.
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 04:44:12 PM »

Looks to be for Windows only. 

I'll give Reaper a try if my mac isn't too old.

Sorry didn't see the mac.  These don't run under WINE?  I'm not a MAC user.

What about TDR VOS SlickEQ http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq/ but only lets you do 3 frequency bands.  There is a MAC download.

There are a lot plugins under KVR =mac32&ty[]=e&f1[]=vst&pr[]=f&sh[]=s]http://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?search=1&os[]=mac32&ty[]=e&f1[]=vst&pr[]=f&sh[]=s but not sure which ones truely work.  I got the TDR VOS SlickEQ one to work for Audacity (Windows).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:59:06 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown
Mic:AKG C460B(CK61)/HM1000(CK32/CK47), Naiant Couplings/PFA, ADK-TL; Preamp:Lunatec V2, Naiant Littlebox v1.5; Rec:Tascam DA-P1/DR-100mkii/DR-680; Cable:GAKcables; Bar:Shure A27M, Robb Bar 23-cm, it-goes-to-eleven DINa Active Bar, GAK 3' Bar; Mount:Shure A53M, Audix MC-MICRO; Clamp:AKG K&M 237, Photek Grip Clamp w/Manfrotto 042; Stand: Manfrotto Alu Master 3 Riser 12' AC Stand/122B, Lowel Full Pole; Battery:18000mah Universal Lithium Battery; Playback:laptop>Schiit Modi>Yamaha HTR5890>Klipsch Synergy F2. My recordings on LMA

Offline JimmieC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 04:55:17 PM »
I also got the TDR Nova (4 bands) one to load and run on Audacity (Windows).  It is similar to SlickEQ and ReaEQ.  http://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-nova/ There is a MAC download.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:59:15 PM by JimmieC »
OH Grown

Offline strangerinusall

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 06:29:35 AM »

I am using IzotopeĀ“s latest Ozone and RX (advanced editions) which are excellent tools. Worth the money.

Offline chk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »
If your Audacity isn't working in real time with standard plugins, you may need to update your Audacity?  Real time analysis of plugins work fine now w/ latest version. 
And I agree that the TDR Plugins are powerful and really well designed.  All of them. 
I've also used Izotope RX with Audacity and that works in real time as well. 
Good luck.

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2016, 03:21:46 PM »
If your Audacity isn't working in real time with standard plugins, you may need to update your Audacity?  Real time analysis of plugins work fine now w/ latest version. 
And I agree that the TDR Plugins are powerful and really well designed.  All of them. 
Good luck.
Thanks for this, I believe I am behind a bit on my versions.
music IS love

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 12:18:26 AM »
Good luck.

Get 2.1.0 if you want speed adjustment percentage to use all available significant digits.  Newer versions truncate your input.  I don't know the team's motivation to break something that works, but there you have it.

2.1.0  :coolguy:

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 08:46:07 AM »
Good luck.
Get 2.1.0 if you want speed adjustment percentage to use all available significant digits.  Newer versions truncate your input.  I don't know the team's motivation to break something that works, but there you have it.
2.1.0  :coolguy:
Interesting. I am on 2.1.2. You think I should go backward to 2.1.0?
Thanks for this info cap'n!
music IS love

Offline chk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »
Thanks cap'n!
 I was wondering why i wasn't getting the precision i thought i used to get on speed adjustments. Hopefully they fix that in the next version.

Online lpmaskman

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade list
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »
I can't imagine trying to work with EQ without having immediate feedback combined with fine granular control.
Exactly this question came in my mind when I read the topic title. How anybody could EQ without listening it? :D
Mics: AT853, ATM35
Inbetween: CA-9100, 3-wire battery box (homemade)
Recorders: Olympus LS-12, Zoom H2 (4 channel line input mod)
Video: Panasonic HC-V770 (x2), GoPro Hero4 Silver, Sony RX10mkII

Offline rocksuitcase

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 03:11:10 PM »
I can't imagine trying to work with EQ without having immediate feedback combined with fine granular control.
Exactly this question came in my mind when I read the topic title. How anybody could EQ without listening it? :D
Well, you do get to listen after you've applied EQ. Then you can undo it if needed. What you don't get (at least with my version-2.1.2, and no 3rd party plugins) is the ability to move the sliders and listen in "real-time". From my earlier post, this is what I've been doing:
I've taken to loading the raw file in foobar2000 and doing EQ's while listening live then just imitating the same curves on the Audacity file.
If you don't take any further action, you can always just "undo equalization" go back to the raw file and equalize again using different settings.
Thankfully, many of the sets/shows I've been processing do not need EQ'ing.
I am giving serious consideration to purchasing Izotope Ozone after this thread!
music IS love

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2016, 09:29:02 PM »
Good luck.

I'm using 2.1.2 and don't see how the real time standard plugin works?  I just want to make some EQ adjustments--hopefully cleaner sounding.  Looking at Reaper I'm lost.  I don't know what to do with TDR.  I'm on a Mac as a reminder. 

smokenburn

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2016, 01:25:20 PM »

+1

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=179250.0
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:28:16 PM by smokenburn »

Offline chk

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
Good luck.

I'm using 2.1.2 and don't see how the real time standard plugin works?  I just want to make some EQ adjustments--hopefully cleaner sounding.  Looking at Reaper I'm lost.  I don't know what to do with TDR.  I'm on a Mac as a reminder.

I am on a mac too.  You need to download the plugin, add it into the VST add-ins folder on your machine, and then on main Audacity menu go to Effect > Manage and "enable" the new plugin you just added to the appropriate folder on you mac.  You may want to read some of the Audacity instructions on adding new plugins for more detailed info, but it's pretty straightforward.  From there, you simply choose Effect > TDR Nova or whatever plug-in you want to use for EQ and make sure the "enable" checkbox is checked at the bottom of the window which contains the plug-in. 

Audacity works great for simple tasks like tracking/mixing/editing.  I've played around with Reaper and some of the others and I'm sure they're great but I've gotten used to Audacity.  It's simple and straightforward.  The critical components for mastering/editing are the plugins you're using (like Izotope or TDR).  They all work well within Audacity.  I'd question whether the "front-end" matters in any audible way (i.e. use an Izotope or any other plug-in via Audacity vs. on Reaper to do the same task).  Sure if you're mixing 24 tracks I doubt you would want to use Audacity...

Use whatever you're comfortable with.

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
Huge thank you, chk--whoever you are! 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com