Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: female minijack to male xlr  (Read 7151 times)

Offline (((KB)))

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: female minijack to male xlr
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2006, 05:04:45 PM »
... well... THIRD EDIT: I Finally found the place to insert batteries! Kind of weird, but cleverly build...!
GREAT! I thought that mic had an internal battery. With this known, no phantom or PIP is needed since it has the battery nor do you really need to worry about passing any kind of power through the cables.

I doubt you will be able to use Phantom Power for that mic, but if you look on the battery itself or research it, this will atleast give you a ball-park figure to what voltage the mic requires.  Also, I would replace the battery... it will most likely give you better results if you put a fresh one it.

Now, all you have to figure out (by experimentation) is what cable and/or adapters that goes between the mic and the Mix-Pre will transfer the signal the most effeciently. What you have will work, but for instance, that Sound Professionals cable is pretty nice.. probably that one hi-quality cable would work better than a combination of adapters.

If you feel up to it, you have a few decent references to make you own custom cable too!

-K
C3000B>GP-DMIC20>ODL312>NJB3
One of my old fav's:
http://www.archive.org/details/antibalas2004-03-27

Offline mortendaman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 12:23:53 PM »
Just used it with the r1 today and it sounds very nice..!

hmm i actually paid 170dkr (29$) on my cable + adapter set! So it would only be ten more to get a highquality one.. Without shippinginsurance and untrackable though.

Ill only order it if i know for sure that it will improve the quality noticeably. (Maybe ill be annoying and start another thread on it >:D)

Thank you so much for your help! and patience!

Best regards

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 05:44:12 PM »
First of all, I think the R1 is will give you better results than the MD. As far as the cables and connections, you may not hear much difference depending on your home stereo or computer play-back system. For me, I recently bought higher quality mic cables than the ones I previously had and I did in fact hear a difference.

I think you should save that $ and put it towards a higher quality micĀ  like the AKG c-426b ;D

or

SP LSD2

or

Shure VP-88

-K
One of my old fav's:

Offline mortendaman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2006, 09:33:20 AM »
Well, actually there hasnt been much of a sound difference, when using the r1 line or the md line. Which is a bit dissapointing, but allright since there are lots of other improvements (cf cards, adjustable level while recording, not having to worry about skips and so on).
I had some problems with very audible hiss with the r1, appearing when adding gain afterwards on the computer (wavelab). When cranking up volume on the headphones the gain is good and not too much hiss, but i want to be able to have the headphones on normal level (otherwise i cant use it in my music of course:)), while still having enough gain and not too much hiss.

Anyways the problem isnt that big since i started turning down the volume on the r1 headphones, to get a more realistic picture of the sound. This way i dont have to crank it up in wavelab afterwards..

So.. Theres a lot for me to learn about using the equipment! Didnt have to tweak very many knobs using my old md-->ms959 setup:) Which of course also gave me poors results.

Those are some nice mics!:)

But im going to buy an rode nt4, which seems perfect for my application, urban/nature field recording.

Best regards

Offline (((KB)))

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 09:48:24 PM »
Well, actually there hasnt been much of a sound difference, when using the r1 line or the md line. Which is a bit dissapointing, but allright since there are lots of other improvements (cf cards, adjustable level while recording, not having to worry about skips and so on).
I had some problems with very audible hiss with the r1, appearing when adding gain afterwards on the computer (wavelab). When cranking up volume on the headphones the gain is good and not too much hiss, but i want to be able to have the headphones on normal level (otherwise i cant use it in my music of course:)), while still having enough gain and not too much hiss.

Anyways the problem isnt that big since i started turning down the volume on the r1 headphones, to get a more realistic picture of the sound. This way i dont have to crank it up in wavelab afterwards..

So.. Theres a lot for me to learn about using the equipment! Didnt have to tweak very many knobs using my old md-->ms959 setup:) Which of course also gave me poors results.
I always try to run as hot as I can. I know my pre pretty well and have it calibrated to the mics I'm running. It does help that my pre is pretty forgiving though. Also, I have headphones that have a volume knob built into the cable, don't know if something like that will help you in the field.
...But im going to buy an rode nt4, which seems perfect for my application, urban/nature field recording.
Best regards
Can't say that I've ever used an NT4 so I can't vouch for it's performance, but I would agree that's a decent alternative for your application. FWIW, you might be able to get a better mic used than one of those new.

-K

One of my old fav's:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com