Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Conrad Johnson Gear experience?  (Read 5407 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Conrad Johnson Gear experience?
« on: February 28, 2014, 10:08:33 PM »
My local audio retailer got in a mint condition Conrad Johnson PV-11 pre and MF-80 amplifier and pinged me as he knows I am considering making a change from the multichannel system I have to straight two channel.  If I did this I would be replacing my Arcam AVR300 with the CJ gear.  I am feeding Von Schweikert VR-2s and have them biamped. 

So given this, anyone have any experience with CJ gear?

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
Re: Conrad Johnson Gear experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 06:29:38 AM »
I've had the PV & MF in the past although I had the MF200. Quality gear that would be at home in your system for sure. I found the CJ gear to be a touch dark although extremely musical when I ran them with my Vandersteens. It's a flavor thing though so you may like it, the quality is certainly there & biamping your VR-2's would be the best way since the VR's while not exactly hard to drive respond to power. I'd say IMO it will be a definite upgrade over the Arcam fwiw.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:03 AM »
First rate. Depending on the price and speakers to be used it could be a nice system. I really like their tube gear....so the pre is very attractive to me.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »
ok, so  a (likely dumb) question.  currently I bi-amp my VR-2s, and given what I saw of the MF80 I am going to need to bi-wire them (ie one connection off of amp feeds two on speaker end).  so am I understanding right that given the 80wpc rating of the MF80 that I will be splitting that 80 to 40wpc (maybe not that clear cut) and feeding the VR-2s?  And if so, what would the effect of sound out of speakers be theoretically if I am currently bi-amping using a 100wpc integrated?

Likely stupid question, but this is uncharted ground for me

forgot to add, price being quoted is $1200 flat...seems to be in the range of where it needs to be given the quality the gear is in and no tax (as it is a consignment sale for my audio guy)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:43:50 AM by nickgregory »

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 12:52:11 PM »
I loved my PV-11 when I was running tubes. I think you'll enjoy it. CJ is top-notch.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 03:04:10 PM »
The price seems a bit high for gear that is 25 years old. The pv11 used maybe 550 and the mf 80 maybe 250. I think the pre is the item to get. Imo.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 09:20:39 PM »
So I negotiated a bit and got both pieces for $1K.  Really a fair deal considering both pieces look brand new, not a mark on either.

Have had them hooked up and listening in my system for the last few hours, and am really happy thus far.

- The tube pre (at least I am assuming it is the tubes) really needed a good half hour to warm up.  After that point everything got a bit smoother, more layered.
- The low end is significantly punchier without being bloated.
- Mids definitely are more forward than I am used to hearing. 

Bottom line really enjoying what I am hearing.  I think it may be the result of having tubes in my system for the first time, or hell, I could be hearing things, but I think it definitely has changed how my system sounds.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 06:19:20 PM »
Nice job. That is a very fair value. The pre is really nice and will provide a lot of room for growth. It also can be modded for better performance. Enjoy.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:22:24 PM by raymonda »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.184 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com