Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6  (Read 78614 times)

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 6
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2019, 04:49:34 PM »
You can set the LED brightness in the settings he probably has them turned all the way down.

Either that or he’s bullshitting you and has buyers remorse.

I think this is the issue. I just tested on my mixpre-3 and sure enough they don't light up with LED brightness at 1 but start lighting up as soon as I change it to "2".

Although, I'm sure I had it set to 5 on the mixpre-6 for open taping and 1 on the mixpre-3 for stealthing.

Maybe when he updated the firmware, it got changed to "1"?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2019, 05:04:21 PM »
Unfortunately eBay will side with him if he elects to return it
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
He just told me he's used USB ext power, USB to a laptop, and AAs... and that he updated the firmware. (I never updated the firmware since I had no need to).
He updated the firmware and wants a refund?
Geez.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline mjwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2019, 02:05:20 PM »
Sold my mixpre-6 on ebay and now the buyer sends me this message:

"Ive contacted Sound Devices to confirm, but it seems this unit is defective. The volume knobs do not light up when the mice are active. [...]"
I've only just seen this. Hope not too late to save the day, but if he's done a firmware update, or messed with the unit at all, it would be best if you told him to re-load the factory default presets.
menu>presets>load presets>factory default.
Both the knob LEDS and the display will come on at max brightness (& it should operate in "idiot" mode:)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:07:23 PM by mjwin »

Offline gewwang

« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2019, 02:18:48 PM »

"Ive contacted Sound Devices to confirm, but it seems this unit is defective. The volume knobs do not light up when the mice are active. [...]"
I've only just seen this. Hope not too late to save the day, but if he's done a firmware update, or messed with the unit at all, it would be best if you told him to re-load the factory default presets.
Both the knob LEDS and the display will come on at max brightness (& it should operate in "idiot" mode:)

Nope, not too late as I have not received the dreaded "buyer initiating refund" message yet... He disappeared after I requested pictures of his setup screen showing what the LED brightness was set to.

Thanks!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2019, 05:29:40 PM »
He disappeared after I requested pictures of his setup screen showing what the LED brightness was set to.
Hm, disappeared, you say. Good for him.
 :-* :-* :-* 
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Online aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2019, 04:31:22 AM »

I don't know if this is helpful, particularly since I haven't updated my firmware in a while, but when I turn on my MixPre-6, the knob lights turn on at their brightest level and then a reduced level for a couple of seconds. That is with the brightness set to the lowest level in the menus. At least an indication of whether or not they are functional...

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2019, 01:59:14 PM »

I don't know if this is helpful, particularly since I haven't updated my firmware in a while, but when I turn on my MixPre-6, the knob lights turn on at their brightest level and then a reduced level for a couple of seconds. That is with the brightness set to the lowest level in the menus. At least an indication of whether or not they are functional...
same with 3.03, and I have my leds turned down
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2019, 03:45:28 PM »
I'm not having any problems with the Anker battery and USB-C, but I am eyeing the MX Powersled for a more secure connection. Anyone running that one? What battery do you use with it?
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Brian G

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yeah I'm an AKG slut....
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »
I'm not having any problems with the Anker battery and USB-C, but I am eyeing the MX Powersled for a more secure connection. Anyone running that one? What battery do you use with it?

I have the MX Powersled for my Ver 1 MP6. I used a Talentcell, and a RAV 23000. Both worked great.... I stopped using it when i realized with a good USB C cable I like using the usb battery was just easier.
Mics: AKG c480b's, c460b's, c452eb's ( A60's, A51's ,A61's CK61, CK63, CK1, CK3 CK22, CK8), AKG C414 XLII/ST, AKG CK1x, CK3x M46,  Church Audio CA-11 ( Card and Omni)
Cables: Segue Dogstar Cables, Darktrain Silver Cables, Canare Starquad Cables
Pres: Lunatec V3, Naiant BiggerBox, Edirol UA-5, CA-9100 
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre 10II, Mixpre-6, Sony M10, Sony D50 ,Sony PCM-A10, Tascam DR-100mkii,Tascam DR-40, Edirol R-44
Playback: Fiio X5 v2, Fiio A3 v2, AKG 240MKII, AKG Y50BT

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2019, 08:11:55 PM »
it wouldnt be difficult to modify the existing sled with a hirose or minixlr. you could even do it and leave the AA cells in and have a separate power connection in parallel. providing a voltage near the upper end of what the MX AA pack puts out might bleed a little power into the cells at little consequence

Offline gewwang

« Reply #191 on: September 11, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »

This dude is too much. So after sending him all the suggestions of things to try, he goes silent for 2 days then comes back and says "oh the knobs lights are working but now I'm having a problem with the limiters"...

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I got the led on the knobs to light up, but there is something weird happening when I have the limiters on. Im recording a video to show Sound Devices to see what they think. Maybe I’m over thinking, but I will let you know what they say within the next day or so.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #192 on: September 11, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »

This dude is too much. So after sending him all the suggestions of things to try, he goes silent for 2 days then comes back and says "oh the knobs lights are working but now I'm having a problem with the limiters"...

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I got the led on the knobs to light up, but there is something weird happening when I have the limiters on. Im recording a video to show Sound Devices to see what they think. Maybe I’m over thinking, but I will let you know what they say within the next day or so.

Do you take returns? Offer it and see if shuts up. Usually works for me. If he still whines, take it back.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #193 on: September 11, 2019, 04:44:45 PM »
Yes give the option to return, youre not his tech-support. I learned a long time ago that the people that complain the most are not the ones you don’t want to spend time on because they’re never happy.

Offline gewwang

« Reply #194 on: September 11, 2019, 04:49:53 PM »

Do you take returns? Offer it and see if shuts up. Usually works for me. If he still whines, take it back.

I'd rather not. If I offer a return, I'm out to and from shipping and possibly paypal fees. This guy was threatening to return it already over what appears to be user error on LED brightness. What could/would I have possibly done to the unit to cause the limiter not to work? And especially since he already told me he updated the firmware. At least he's competent enough to contact Sound Devices cust support without me having to do THAT for him.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com