Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: how do I set up an FTP site???  (Read 6235 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
how do I set up an FTP site???
« on: July 18, 2008, 02:53:11 PM »
Ive searched TS as well as done some googling. My google responses seem a little complicated. Is there any easy way of doing this? :)

~Mike
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: how do I set up an FTP site???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 03:19:42 PM »
Do you want to set up an FTP server on your local PC, or do you want to use a service that provides HDD space and FTP access to it?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
basically looking to set up an FTP site w/ HDD space, that me and a few others can access. Also want to be able for others to log in to snag music from it.
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
Let me try again, I'm not making myself clear...

I understand you want HDD space accessible by you and a few others over FTP.  Do you want the HDD to reside on a local computer in your home, or on a remote computer provided by a 3rd party hosting service?
Roland R-05

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:30 PM »
be aware that (if you are hosting it at home) the people d/l from you are going to suck all your bandwidth.  Or at least take up alot of it assuming you are throttling usage.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 08:03:52 PM »
At home you can do this. One easy way is to install linux on a computer and then turn on the ftp service. On your modem/router you will need to forward port 21 to the ip of the linux computer.

I use www.dyndns.com to do dns resolution. That way the users can find you if your ip changes. You just have to sign up and register a hostname with them. They will provide up to certain number of hosts for free. PM me if you need some help with this. There are client programs you can run on a schedule that will update your hostname at regular intervals.

I think there is a sourceforge project that has an ftp server for windows if I am not mistaken.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 08:39:17 PM »
If you want to do it at home, here's a long-outdated, but still possibly helpful, tutorial on using GuildFTP for Windows:

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/html/runFTPserver/runFTPserver.htm

It uses no-ip.com instead of dyndns.  I'm guessing there are different tools now for managing dynamic dns updates, but the concepts should remain the same.
Roland R-05

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:23:59 PM »
Thanks Brian.

I should mention also that the one I was thinking of was FileZilla.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558

I use the client and really like it. But I have never setup the ftp server.
AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline tfrench

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
Thanks Brian.

I should mention also that the one I was thinking of was FileZilla.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=21558

I use the client and really like it. But I have never setup the ftp server.
Anyone help me out with setting up the FireZilla Server?  Not sure what I'm missing but I can't get the FTP client to connect properly.

Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:
AKG 460b (ck63, ck1 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x) > FR2-LE (24/48)

ISO: AKG ck2x, CK22, CK2, CK3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 01:48:25 PM »
Anyone help me out with setting up the FireZilla Server?  Not sure what I'm missing but I can't get the FTP client to connect properly.

Details?  Does the FTP client display a message?  Is FTP server logging turned on?  If so, what does the log say?

Are you trying to connect from your local PC or network, or across the internet?  I believe if you're trying to connect to the FTP server from the FTP client on the local PC or local network, you'll need to specify the local IP address for the computer on which the FTP server is running, not the hostname.
Roland R-05

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 03:13:58 PM »

Details?  Does the FTP client display a message?  Is FTP server logging turned on?  If so, what does the log say?

Are you trying to connect from your local PC or network, or across the internet?  I believe if you're trying to connect to the FTP server from the FTP client on the local PC or local network, you'll need to specify the local IP address for the computer on which the FTP server is running, not the hostname.
I'm connecting from my local pc (laptop).  I'm running FileZilla Server on my laptop and attempting to connect to it via Smart FTP Client.  I'm behind a router (d-link) that I have set the options to forward to my laptop.  I keep getting "[15:11:25] Client closed the connection."  It looks as if the session is timing out.  I have the ip address and then have it forwarded from the router.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  Any other information?

Todd
I'm a taper,one of the most well adapted and well prepared species known to exist on the planet,even the boy scouts ain't got shit on us....Mark S.

Recording Gear:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »
I have the ip address and then have it forwarded from the router.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  Any other information?

What IP address are you using?  There should be two in play:  <1>  the IP address your ISP assigns to your router, and <2> the local IP address of your laptop (assigned from your router, either via static LAN IP setup or DHCP).
Roland R-05

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 03:32:26 PM »
I have the ip address and then have it forwarded from the router.  I'm not sure what I'm missing here.  Any other information?

What IP address are you using?  There should be two in play:  <1>  the IP address your ISP assigns to your router, and <2> the local IP address of your laptop (assigned from your router, either via static LAN IP setup or DHCP).
Using the IP address from Earthlink (24.xx.xxx.xxx) and the forwarding via the rotuer to my laptop (192.168.0.105).

Recording Gear:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
Using the IP address from Earthlink (24.xx.xxx.xxx) and the forwarding via the rotuer to my laptop (192.168.0.105).

Forget the Earthlink-assigned IP address for the moment - only people connecting from the internet will use it.  Since you're connecting locally, specify the local IP address of 192.168.0.105 in the FTP client's address field.
Roland R-05

Offline tfrench

• Taperssection All-Star
    • My Music Trading List
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »

Forget the Earthlink-assigned IP address for the moment - only people connecting from the internet will use it.  Since you're connecting locally, specify the local IP address of 192.168.0.105 in the FTP client's address field.
Ok, this works....slowly getting there!

Recording Gear:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com