Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split Omnis  (Read 19086 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Split Omnis
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2004, 11:06:04 AM »
Thought I already mentioned this way of doing split omnis on one stand, though perhaps it was on the old Oade board.  At any rate, here it is:

A relatively cheap and easy way of running split omnis on one stand, with about a 3' split is to get the Atlas 5/8" to 5/8" female coupler, AD-5B ($4.50 from markertek.com) and the Atlas 31" extension tube, TB-58X ($9).  Take your clamp (you do have one right?--well if not get one) and mount it to the top of your stand at the 5/8" stud side by using the AD-5B coupler.  This will leave you with your stand with a clamp attached at the top, with the clamping portion of the clamp unused.  

Take the 31" extension tube and attach it (horizontally) to the stand by inserting it into the clamp and tightening the clamp to the extension tube.  You've now got a 31" spread for your mics, and the extension tube already has the correct 5/8" threading on either end.  Attach your shockmounts or mic clips to the extension tube, and by now you've got a 3' spread or so for your omni mics.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2004, 11:06:52 AM »
very very similar results, but the j-disc really cuts the mud and boom out of omni recordings due to its better isolation.

So much so that I think more people would run omnis indoors if they heard the results!!

I know this is how I should be running at the Fox... omni's sound great down there but I really shouldn't be pushing my luck by running split's.

i'm thinking split omnis at Mississippi Nights. Clamp one on the post and throw the other on my stand opposite side. think this would work Tim? it's gonna be close to 6' or more might be too wide that close. i should experiment with the Ozomatli this sunday and see if i can even get away with it. they allow taping right?

I wouldn't run very wide down there, 5' was too far at the fox. The other consideration is how obnoxious can you get away with acting down there before someone gets annoyed and they ban taping on the front rail? With the LD's I try and be extra considerate when I run in one of my local venues.

I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds, it could work... but if it doesn't the results could be pretty bad  :o I'd definitely try it though.

One note on why this works, The Fox in Boulder is *pristine* sounding. Easily the best sounding indoor venue I've ever been to. It has a *very* high ceiling, wide stage and pa hung halfway up with subs on the floor. All of the walls, the cieling, and the exposed duct are acoustically treated. When the room is empty (no band, no music, a few people) it is pretty dead sounding.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2004, 11:28:11 AM »
Thought I already mentioned this way of doing split omnis on one stand, though perhaps it was on the old Oade board.  At any rate, here it is:

A relatively cheap and easy way of running split omnis on one stand, with about a 3' split is to get the Atlas 5/8" to 5/8" female coupler, AD-5B ($4.50 from markertek.com) and the Atlas 31" extension tube, TB-58X ($9).  Take your clamp (you do have one right?--well if not get one) and mount it to the top of your stand at the 5/8" stud side by using the AD-5B coupler.  This will leave you with your stand with a clamp attached at the top, with the clamping portion of the clamp unused.  

Take the 31" extension tube and attach it (horizontally) to the stand by inserting it into the clamp and tightening the clamp to the extension tube.  You've now got a 31" spread for your mics, and the extension tube already has the correct 5/8" threading on either end.  Attach your shockmounts or mic clips to the extension tube, and by now you've got a 3' spread or so for your omni mics.

I like that, cheap and easy, thanks and +T
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2004, 11:31:31 AM »
I will try that next...one thing at a time :)
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Tim

« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2004, 11:34:01 AM »
:doubledragon:
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2004, 11:46:22 AM »
I wouldn't run very wide down there, 5' was too far at the fox. The other consideration is how obnoxious can you get away with acting down there before someone gets annoyed and they ban taping on the front rail? With the LD's I try and be extra considerate when I run in one of my local venues.

I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds, it could work... but if it doesn't the results could be pretty bad  :o I'd definitely try it though.

One note on why this works, The Fox in Boulder is *pristine* sounding. Easily the best sounding indoor venue I've ever been to. It has a *very* high ceiling, wide stage and pa hung halfway up with subs on the floor. All of the walls, the cieling, and the exposed duct are acoustically treated. When the room is empty (no band, no music, a few people) it is pretty dead sounding.

good point wouldn't want to lose front rail privileges at Mississippi Nights. However I have a pretty good track record with the security folks there.  i've always been pretty considerate and friendly.

after thinking about it some more i don't think i'll be able to get away with clamping one mic on the post because that would cause the spacing to be too wide if i wanted to keep it lined up with the stage and of equal distance form eachother.  

I think i'll just setup both of my stands and if one of hte security or band crew asks me to limit it to one stand then that will be just fine.  I'll let you and anybody else who cares know how it goes. i think being that close it will sound pretty darn good. just gonna have to judge the spacing.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 11:48:50 AM by S_TL-Taper »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2004, 11:50:15 AM »
So...how important is it to be absolutely dead center?

Most of my outdoor recording I end up off to the side 2-6' or so b/c the sound engineers don't want their view obstructed.  I could run head-heightish, but that strikes me as too low for omnis.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2004, 11:50:21 AM »
oh yeah, do it on a night when Animal is working or some of other engineer who like's it really, really L O U D ;D

Offline Brian

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2004, 11:51:40 AM »
j-disc :fight:

another summer project for my cousin and I. let's see.....we have the pedal board, the amp cases, and now the j-disc.  he's so good at carpentry why waste my time doing a half assed j-disc ;D

Offline Brian

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2004, 11:53:17 AM »
oh yeah, do it on a night when Animal is working or some of other engineer who like's it really, really L O U D ;D

:devilrock: :guitarist: :devilrock:

should have tried with the Drive By Truckers a couple of weeks back but i had stupid homework ::) i'm pretty mad i missed them.

Offline Tim

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2004, 11:54:43 AM »
So...how important is it to be absolutely dead center?

Most of my outdoor recording I end up off to the side 2-6' or so b/c the sound engineers don't want their view obstructed.  I could run head-heightish, but that strikes me as too low for omnis.

the close to center the better but you can get away with running a few feet off.

if it's fairly loud don't be afraid to go just behind the board if you can be more centered. I'd rather be 15' back and centered than fob and too far off to the side.

Offline Tim

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2004, 12:14:11 PM »
bring it on old man ;)

Offline Tim

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2004, 12:53:53 PM »
:lol:

Offline plucks

• 1pt21Gigawatts!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Maybe the grass is greener on the other side
    • 1pt21gw.blogspot.com
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2004, 11:28:42 AM »
just received Ian Stone's Phish 7-8-03 omni tapes.  He spread them about 40' centered around the FOH area.  
WOW!  Great sound to them.  THe MBHO omni caps did a great job.  The bass is thick, the kick thumps, and it just sounds good :)
I know i was thinking "what the hell is he doing spreading them that far??!!"
No black hole in the middle, which is the biggest concern.  

So, you can split them that far apart and still have it work out excellently.  
"Then you have those who are completely loyal to Trey. Of course, they are the Republicans. Trey can play horribly, make mistakes, probably lie to the audience yet his backers will not waiver in their staunch support of him." | You may ask your self, how do you get a free bottle of champagne at dinner?  "Guest on Guest Violence"
1pt21gw.blogspot.com | vimeo HD videos! | the new Signal Path

Dirty Business down on Coal Creek

Offline Tim

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2004, 12:31:48 PM »
it's related to the width of the PA stacks and your distance from them. If you are a few hundred feet back and the stacks are very wide (like at a typical phish show) then you should be okay...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com