Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)  (Read 114364 times)

Offline Ekib

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 (Part 7)
« Reply #345 on: June 14, 2014, 06:34:43 AM »
I think that I did a test with the Eneloop AA's when I first got the M10 and it recorded for about 15 hours if I recall correctly.  What I do not recall was if it died first or the Tinybox died first.  Something is telling me that it might have been the Tinybox.

If you have a Costco near you they sell blister packs of Eneloop batteries regularly for $20.

I did a new test . Recorded using my mic and the batterybox and it lasted about 15 hours ( a little over ) .
The first test I did was just using the mic's of the recorder itself and apparently they take more energy . Didn't realize it was that much energy since the rechargables only lasted about 8 hours than.
So my new GP Recyko rechargable batteries are fine .
The past 2 years my rechargables saved me a lot of money .
But I have to say, I don’t mind it. I do object when I see people sticking microphones up my nose, in the front row. If I see anyone doing that [laughs] I’m going to have security remove them. Because that’s just obnoxious. But I don’t mind if people come and discreetly at the back make a recording of it. And I know that it’s just for their own use, for the superfan.
(Steven Wilson , interview http://blog.musoscribe.com/index.php/2011/01/25/interview-steven-wilson-on-audience-taping/ )

Offline Thierry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #346 on: June 26, 2014, 07:28:40 AM »
The M10 is the bomb!

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #347 on: June 27, 2014, 10:36:46 AM »
Thanks to a dead battery in my battery box, I had my first experience going mic-in with my M10 this week. Mics were CA-14 cards, show was a solo guitarist but pretty loud. I dialed the gain back to about 3.5 to allow for some headroom, ended up peaking around -12.

The result sounds great to me, surprisingly so given the poor results I've gotten going mic-in on past devices. Those of you with more M10 expertise, are there certain situations where I'm going to see a huge bump in performance by going CA-14>battery box>M10? Or should I feel safe dispensing with the battery box when I want to travel light?

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #348 on: June 27, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »
Your mics are going to be seeing a much lower supply voltage with the M10s PIP (I think something like 3V) vs. the 7-9 V you'll get from a battery box.  It will work and still may sound fine depending on what you're recording, but the mics will not necessarily be performing at spec, and they'll also be more likely to have problems with high SPL situations.  The good news is that the M10s mic in performs much better than other recorders.  I use it all the time for quiet concerts, although I'm always using a battery box in between.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #349 on: June 29, 2014, 12:38:15 PM »
Thanks - that's just what I needed to know. I'll keep on packing the battery box, then, but good to know that in low-SPL situations I can get away without it if necessary.

Offline dank

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #350 on: July 07, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
On the M10, do the level indicators at the top only operate when using the internal mics?

I am legally blind so love my PMD660 because the level indicators are very easy to see when I belt mount or wear it over my shoulder.

Definitely would like a smaller recorder like the M10, but it's not too low profile to hold your deck 2 inches from your face to try to read the LCD display to set levels :)

Just curious.... thanks
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #351 on: July 07, 2014, 03:22:06 PM »
On the M10, do the level indicators at the top only operate when using the internal mics?

I am legally blind so love my PMD660 because the level indicators are very easy to see when I belt mount or wear it over my shoulder.

Definitely would like a smaller recorder like the M10, but it's not too low profile to hold your deck 2 inches from your face to try to read the LCD display to set levels :)

Just curious.... thanks
no
The meters and the lights work on external mic/line in too
The lights kick on at -12
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dank

• Taperssection All-Star
  • cold irons bound
« Reply #352 on: July 07, 2014, 03:29:21 PM »
no
The meters and the lights work on external mic/line in too
The lights kick on at -12

Great to know.... think I'll order a tinybox and m10 to replace the 660, to go along with my new 4021's

thank you for the reply.
Mics: DPA 4021, AT 933, AKG CK31, CK32
Pre:  Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Oade ACM PMD660, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-2D, Sony PCM-M10[x2]
DIME List: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=919941

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #353 on: July 07, 2014, 04:16:20 PM »
keep in mind that the m10 doesn't allow you to adjust individual channels, only overall gain from both channels

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #354 on: July 11, 2014, 02:47:39 AM »
Thanks to my 2300mah Energizer Rechargeable AA's I got in the end of 2010, and the kickass Maha Powerex MH-C9000 Charger I have, my batteries still register and analyze at around 1900mah 8) I swear Im buying new ones after this summer tho. But I cant preach it enough for AA/AAA batteries. Buy a HQ charger for like $50-$60 and do a proper 'Break-In' of the batteries with that charger, and cycle/analyze them regularly, and they will treat you just as good :) I still put 4xAA into my LB and 2xAA into my M10, and they last about 15-16 hours faithfully STILL, which is a full day recording at most festies I do, per rig 8)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #355 on: August 15, 2014, 12:20:44 AM »
had a preamp issue and had to run the m10 solo tonight, had to run at .5 on the volume to keep from clipping.  Any ideas why or what I should do to run at a higher volume level, I may be stuck running this way again Friday night for an even louder show.
The recording is muddy, flat and most likely very compressed :(

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #356 on: August 15, 2014, 01:50:39 AM »
had a preamp issue and had to run the m10 solo tonight, had to run at .5 on the volume to keep from clipping.  Any ideas why or what I should do to run at a higher volume level, I may be stuck running this way again Friday night for an even louder show.
The recording is muddy, flat and most likely very compressed :(

Rig? MK4 > Nbox+? I assume you were running line in? Even at a very loud show you definitely shouldn't have to run that low with most equipment.

Offline fatstratcat

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2014, 02:41:21 AM »
Sounds like you're mics might not be getting enough voltage for the HPL of a loud show. Use a battery box is you have one.
Mics: AT933 w/ AT853 caps (cards, subcards, omnis) / Primo EM172 omnis (4.7k mod)
Bars: AT933 ORTF μBar, AT853 ORTF Active-style bar, fatstratcat DIN bar, 32" omni bar
Pre: Church Audio 3-Wire Ugly II / Church Audio Ugly Battery Box
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10 / Edirol R-09

Offline gmm6797

• Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2014, 09:29:06 AM »
Sorry, to clarify (it was late when I posted).
My nBox+ had a cable break that powers the battery... so I had to run the internal mics on the M10 with nothing else, just the deck.
I have never run the M10 with out my Schoeps before and without a battery box.... this was a new test (aka recording) for me.
I have another show tonight, and will have to run just the M10 if I cant get the battery connectors fixed, and it is a loud rock show and need to know what I am running wrong, as running the M10 at 0.5 on the volume produced poor/compressed results.
Thanks!

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2014, 11:02:43 AM »
^

The mic sensitivity switch appears to operate on the built-ins.  I'd check the impact of that.  The manual is confusing about it though:

HI (high)* Usually select this position.
• The microphone attenuator is
set to “HI.” (In manual
recording)
• The microphone sensitivity is
set to high. (In automatic
recording)
LOW Select this position to record a
sudden loud sound.
• The microphone attenuator is
set to “LOW.” (In manual
recording)
• The microphone sensitivity is
set to low. (In automatic
recording)

It appears in manual recording you'd want it on Hi or automatic recording on Low to reduce the input levels?   

The limiter on this deck is pretty good.  That may help too.   

The low cut filter may take a little more out of the incoming signal (and at a loud show might be appropriate).

I've noticed the internal mic seems to run pretty hot in the very few moments I've had it on (though that may be from not reversing the mic sensitivity switch?). 

It's an omni mic so not sure how useful it would be at a large loud show.  The specs say max SPL 123dB though. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.103 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com