Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are these microdots? Or something proprietary to Countryman?  (Read 5691 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Are these microdots? Or something proprietary to Countryman?
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:49:43 AM »
I have a pair of Countryman B2D's that are terminated to their gold "detachable connectors"  https://www.countryman.com/b2d-detachable-connector/  which allow one to switch between their various adapters (geared toward wireless packs and not really "concert taping"). I have the XLR adapters that they screw onto so that I can run the mics with phantom power, however, I'd like the option of using a 1/8" stereo mini plug for use with Church preamps, Sony M10's and the like. As you can see these mics are teeny tiny and the XLR adapters are ridiculously disproportionate and not very conducive to  >:D

These Countryman connectors look similar to the microdot connectors on my DPA 4061's and the MPS6030 that they connect to. But they don't look exactly the same and I'm nervous to attempt screwing the Countryman mics onto the DPA MPS6030 for fear of messing up one or both components. (otherwise I'd happily use the MPS6030 to power the Countrymans)

So, I'm thinking a Y-Cable from the gold Countryman "detachable connectors" to a 1/8" stereo mini plug would be a viable solution to make the whole set up more  >:D friendly for PIP or powering with my CA9100 preamp

If anyone can point me in the right direction here I'd greatly appreciate it. (P.S. I already have a message in to Ted  :) )

Thanks

P.S. If higher resolution files are necessary I can upload to Dropbox and paste a link here
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Are these microdots? Or something proprietary to Countryman?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 09:52:38 AM »
Those are Microdots.  Same as DPA uses.  The DPA phantom adapters should power the mics fine with no worry of damaging either component.

Specifically it is size M 10-32.  There are also larger and smaller version of the Microdot-style co-axial connector.

I'm thinking a Y-Cable from the gold Countryman "detachable connectors" to a 1/8" stereo mini plug would be a viable solution to make the whole set up more  >:D friendly for PIP or powering with my CA9100 preamp

^Yes
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »
Update: Countryman was not helpful. They will not do any custom cable work at all: not even an extension cable with two female ends of their connector so that I could cut it in the middle and terminate the two ends to a stereo mini plug, as suggest in this post: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=181231.0

The woman I finally spoke with on the phone says that there is a tiny chip in their XLR preamp that is a part of the system and if that I try to bypass it the mics will sound weird and tinny. (She also said the gold detachable connectors are proprietary  :(   sure looks like a microdot to me...)

So I’m wondering now if an off the shelf 2 XLR female > 1/8 stereo plug would work.   (Although getting rid of the bulk of the XLR connectors was a big reason for my even wanting to do this.  :facepalm: )
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:27:40 PM »
So I’m wondering now if an off the shelf 2 XLR female > 1/8 stereo plug would work.

It won't.

The XLR adapters contain circuitry which reduce phantom power voltage to the lower voltage used by the microphone.  You cannot power the XLR adapters from a stereo miniplug.

You can eliminate the XLR adapters with a 2-microdot to stereo-miniplug Y adapter cable, or by reterminating the mics directly to the miniplug.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com