Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Leaving Batt's In?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline taperwheeler

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
Leaving Batt's In?
« on: September 12, 2009, 09:31:51 AM »
So have always heard in the past that it isn't good to leave batteries in electronic devices when they aren't being used.  I've had a lazy knack of leaving 9v's in my Church 9100 maybe a month longest between use.  Curious if anyone has any knowledge of how/why this may be a bad practice (drainage, corrosion).
Mics: SP-CMC-8 AT933 Body 4.7K mod AT853 (c, sc) U853 (h) Microline Shotguns
Pres: CA 9100, SP-Preamp
Recorders: MT2 , Tascam DR-07, PCM-M10, PCM A10

Offline dmonkey

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Leaving Batt's In?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »
I always thought it was because of possible corrosion -- if you forget about the batt and leave it in too long.
MK4's, KM140's or MC930's >  Tinybox or Aerco MP-2 > R-09, M-10, R-44 (Oade CM) or MixPre-6

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 10:48:09 AM »
^ my thoughts as well.  I have noticed that my 9v Wally will drain eventually if I forget to unplug it from my UA5.  I attribute that to the battery circuits but don't know for sure.

The RC batteries I use in my fostex have the same effect (it's even in the manual).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 04:58:15 PM »
Disposable batteries will leak and corrode if left unattended and in my experience it doesn't necessary mean they were left in there for years before it happens...I figure it's just good habitat to unload batteries after every use.  Most of my gear that will run on disposable batteries I only run those batteries once when I use them instead of SLA batteries (i.e. I don't try to milk a second show out of them - the price of batteries isn't worth having a recording tank on me), so there's really no need for me to leave them in there.  Way back in the day when I ran smaller mics (i.e. CSBs) that included a battery box that ran on a 9v, I did used to leave that in there as if I recall correctly it would last for a long time, but when it comes to my decks, pre-amp, SBM-1 etc., it's one use and out they go into a box to either reuse for household stuff or else go to the recycling center.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »
^ my thoughts as well.  I have noticed that my 9v Wally will drain eventually if I forget to unplug it from my UA5.  I attribute that to the battery circuits but don't know for sure.

The RC batteries I use in my fostex have the same effect (it's even in the manual).

I left a 9v Wally battery plugged into my HDP2 for too long I guess....  not sure how long....  but when I realized it and went to charge up the battery, it's dead.....  my L-ion DVD Wally World 9v battery does not charge any more....  any ideas about that one?
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 06:17:56 PM »

I left a 9v Wally battery plugged into my HDP2 for too long I guess....  not sure how long....  but when I realized it and went to charge up the battery, it's dead.....  my L-ion DVD Wally World 9v battery does not charge any more....  any ideas about that one?

How old is it? How many charge cycles has it been through?

May be time to replace it with one of those inexpensive units from ebay.

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 06:22:52 PM »
^^^Not sure on the age of it....  got it used.....  I have a few others, so I'm not too worried about it....  til next festi season.  Do they actually crap out after a certain number of charges?  It worked great for me for about 6 months or so.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
^^^Not sure on the age of it....  got it used.....  I have a few others, so I'm not too worried about it....  til next festi season.  Do they actually crap out after a certain number of charges?  It worked great for me for about 6 months or so.

Unfortunately yes, but thats mostly up past 300 charges.

You may have drained it past the point where there is any "safety charge" that allows the internal PCB to turn on and function. I've had one or two go that way as well. I try and keep my stuff at half charge when stored and store it seperately from the unit for that reason.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-19.htm
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline yawnfactory

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 11:13:02 PM »
your best bet is to take out the batteries when you are done, then buy new ones for the next show.
its worth the extra money, just for peace of mind.

energizer ulrimate lithiums seem to be the best disposable batteries, at least on my experience.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 11:24:33 PM »
your best bet is to take out the batteries when you are done, then buy new ones for the next show.
its worth the extra money, just for peace of mind.

energizer ulrimate lithiums seem to be the best disposable batteries, at least on my experience.

why not just get a multimeter and test the voltage out before the show?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline sevenxbb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • It's Up to You...
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 12:50:47 PM »
I use energizer ultimate lithiums in my DR-100 as a backup to the internal lion battery.  I had to ditch early the other day and had a friend breakdown my gear for me.  When I picked it up the next day I found that he'd stopped it but hadn't powered it down.  It had gone through the lion and then switched to the energizers.  The power draw was so low (because it was stopped) that it was still on when I checked it.  The battery indicator for the AA's showed it to be a fresh set/all bars.  I did a record test and the draw was too much and it shut down.  I didn't have a volt meter handy but gotta figure that the voltage from the energizer lithiums was still about 1.5 each even though they were drained.  With a load on them they couldn't provide enough amperage to power the unit.  My point is that I don't think you can rely on a volt meter to test the energizer lithiums.

YMMV
AKGC3000's, MOTU MK3 Hybrid, Tascam DR-100, Sony M1, CSB's, USB-122, Shure SE-210's, Mackie 402-VLZ3, Zefiro Inbox, 13" 2.4 GHz 4 GB C2D MBP 2010, 3.2 GHz i5 8GB Hackintosh

00000ZERO00000!
 ;-)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com