Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best mics (or caps) for outdoor festival i.e. Bonnaroo  (Read 6402 times)

Offline Chapper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
Re:Best mics (or caps) for outdoor festival i.e. Bonnaroo
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2004, 04:28:57 PM »
one nice thing about taping Boulder... no smoking in the whole city, and soon it will be the same in Denver!
Cigarettes, that is!
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2004, 04:41:20 PM »
That's what kinda gets me is POT smokers that shun cigarette smokers.  I don't want to start a whole smoking debate but I don't puff anymore and I hate it when someone sparks a fatty next to me and then gives me dirty look when I light a cig??
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2004, 05:02:09 PM »
i don't discriminate.  i smoke whatever you put in front of me....  :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2004, 05:19:06 PM »
>>I live south of Buffalo and it is a state-wide law that bans smoking. NYC started it in March and the rest of the state followed in July.<<

really? i live 25 miles north of NYC and smoking is still allowed at places...

jimmc

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »
>>I live south of Buffalo and it is a state-wide law that bans smoking. NYC started it in March and the rest of the state followed in July.<<

really? i live 25 miles north of NYC and smoking is still allowed at places...

There are some bars here where you can still smoke, but not legally. It is killing the bar owners. I didnt think it was a local thing since I've been in quite a few different counties lately and all have had a smoking ban. I assumed it was the whole state. huh ??
All I know is I have to go outside or go to certain bars to smoke. Actually I just saw on the news that a Bingo hall just got an exemption to the law lately. Somewhere near Buffalo.
Sorry to turn this into a smoking thread........

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 01:06:22 AM »
i don't discriminate.  i smoke whatever you put in front of me....  :P

;D  i hear ya on that one.

it pisses me off when venues are smoke free, its nearly impossible to smoke a j at them.  i light to smoke a cig when i get done setting up my equipment, it relaxes me and gets me ready for the show.  i dunno, thats just me tho.

for all you smokers....  <-- cartons for only $15, its legit too, i order from there all the time.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2004, 01:36:09 PM »
I have a big and small set of DPAs...use the small ones indoors and the big ones outside (I also have some massive Shures for places like Red Rocks).  If I was only going to get one set, the big DPAs are a good choice...you can use them inside and out.  They're only like $15 each, it isn't like they're expensive.

mitch
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline hhf32

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2004, 10:46:54 PM »
Would the big DPA's affect the sound much indoors??
AKG 461's>digimod UA5>JB3

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2004, 12:08:17 AM »
i personally would(did) just get the shures.  might as well go all the way.  like red rocks, telluride blows pretty hard and the dpa's couldn't deal.  the shures can handle anything.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2004, 09:48:30 AM »
fwiw, I think the no smoking in public places (bars, restaurants) is a new national law that went info effect jan 1st 2004.

personaly, cig smoke is the major downer of going to shows for me.  I can't stand it.  I smoked buts for 15 years at least, and am now one of those obnoxious reformed smoker types.

as for puffin' the ganj, I guess its the same deal for other non smokers, but at least you dont have 100s of people smoking at one given time w/that (at most shows any way) vs. tobacco.  That shit just rips my throat to shredds.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2004, 10:31:56 AM »
For a wide-open place like Bonnarroo (although I have never attended), I like omni caps.  Get yourself a clamp and some longer cables (25' or so) and have one mic on your stand and the other mic clamped to somebody else's stand.  Point the omni mics at the stacks.  Experiment with the split (between 3'-8') and whatever sounds good.  The dpa windscreens mentioned are definitely a good investment, but I did get wind noise with them using omni mics at GOTV last summer when the wind was strongly blowing directly into the mics.  Omni mics are the most resistant to wind and phasing effects, btw.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com