Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie MZ-R700 questions  (Read 2428 times)

Offline jesse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
newbie MZ-R700 questions
« on: February 25, 2004, 04:21:39 PM »
I have a sony MZ-R700 minidisk recorder and have been going to shows and patching in to DAT decks to record.  I want to take the next step and start assembling my own rig for under 800$.  I would also like to upgrade to a DAT recorder (I've been lookin at the PCM-M1) in the future.  Any advice on microphones and a preamp would be very helpful.
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
Re:newbie MZ-R700 questions
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 09:34:08 PM »
Ah...  Here we go, another never-ending "personal taste" thread.

You say mic's so you're not just looking for board patches.  

Do you want to "stealth"?  Since you're a professed newbie - I'll throw in that stealthing is the art of taping un-noticed, which obviously requires smaller gear as a choice.

Budget is also a consideration.  I'd suggest you continue patching for awhile, and see what you like.  Start out with used gear.

My personal preferences:

Pre-A/D: I chose the V3, due the to V2's reputation as a clean, transparant, low noise pre.  I also liked the ability to go up to 192/24.  But the thing I liked the MOST, was the LED Meters.  If the Apogee Mini-Me had as good a metering setup, I would have went with that.

Mikes:  Money was no object, nor was size.  I went with the Nuemann TLM-170's, because

1 - I prefer the sound of Large Plate Diaphram microphones.
2 - The switchable polar patterns (omni-subcard-card-hyper-fig8) make the mic extremely versatile - like having 5 mics in one.
3 - Having run out of them before, I knew what to expect from them sound-wise.

You'll find as many personal preferences, as there are members here.  Check out torrents and sample downloads from source rigs that interest you, then make a decision, based on your goals and budget.

YOUR EAR is the only one you have to really please.  Trust it, go for it.

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 10:02:22 PM »
here are some recent threads with questions just like yours, I highly suggest you read them, there are a lot of questions and direct answers in there!

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=14313

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=13947

also, tell us all the circumstances (who, what, and where you're taping and what is your budget[big factor]) with any other questions.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 11:45:53 PM »
get get Schuster's new mp-2 :)

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 02:38:54 PM »
I have been crusin' this site and I must say I'm very impressed.  Thank you for the information it has been very useful.  I've kind of put together a general idea of what might be a good rig to build around my MZ-R700.   Superlux CM-H8K's>UA-5>MZ-R700.   This will also work out great with my budget.  Just a couple newbie questions about the UA-5.  1.  The UA-5 comes with 48 volt phantom power, if I buy a phantom power unit just for my mics and use it w/the UA-5 am I going to get better sound or will my preamp batteries just last longer.  2  I see that there are several different options with the UA-5 what would be the best for me to use.  Finally what other gear would I need to connect this all.  Thanks for the help
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

Life is hard. I only have a vauge recollection of when it wasn't kicking my ass.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 06:47:27 PM »
you need an optical TOSlink > mini cable to connect the UA-5 and R700

also, you will need to get a modded UA-5, digimod at minimum

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 06:51:53 PM »
Just a couple newbie questions about the UA-5.  1.  The UA-5 comes with 48 volt phantom power, if I buy a phantom power unit just for my mics and use it w/the UA-5 am I going to get better sound or will my preamp batteries just last longer.  2  I see that there are several different options with the UA-5 what would be the best for me to use.

look 6-8 threads down on this page:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=14313;start=45

Finally what other gear would I need to connect this all.

for mics > ua-5 you'll need a pair of xlr cables and for ua-5 > MD you'll probably wanna use a toslink to mini optical cable(same thing Schwillberitis said, also check the cable forum and/or the archival forum for info about optical cables).

I believe those other threads I linked should have some answers, otherwise ask here.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 06:53:19 PM by Chris color »
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline jesse

• Taperssection Member
  • Listen to more Miles!
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2004, 07:20:57 PM »
Just ordered my superlux mics on-line.  Now just for that UA-5 and some cables and I should be all set.  thanks alot guys.  
SP C4's>UA-5>D100

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com