Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping outdoors for first time- advice needed  (Read 6522 times)

Offline brewcrew87

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Taping outdoors for first time- advice needed
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
at nelson ledges quarry park, for john mullins band and ekoostik hookah. I am running Berliner CM33>Nady DMP2>Microtrack

i am wondering where might the sweet spot be or how to figure that out- both bands are open taping so its not stealth

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my list
Re: Taping outdoors for first time- advice needed
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:11:59 PM »
looks like both are on the archive so it should be open.  sweet spot is generally 30-40 feet dfc from the stage at an outdoor venue.  really depends on where the stacks are set up.  there may be an OTS which would likely be further back by the soundboard.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:15:27 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 06:10:15 PM »
Use your ears to find the sweet spot. Walk around for awhile, be like Brigham Young.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »
at nelson ledges quarry park, for john mullins band and ekoostik hookah. I am running Berliner CM33>Nady DMP2>Microtrack

i am wondering where might the sweet spot be or how to figure that out- both bands are open taping so its not stealth

To (generically) figure it out, look for equal distance between the stacks (centered), and walk back till you get a little under 60 degrees total between them or 30 between each stack and the center.

To actually figure it out, start at the above point and wander around a bit, most likely backward 5-20 feet. I find that sometimes the best spot is after the sound gels a bit, othertimes it's where it's mathmatically predictable.

All this basically goes out the window if there is a specific spot that is designated as the taping section (that the venue or band wants you in).

Use your ears to find the sweet spot. Walk around for awhile, be like Brigham Young.

There's a whole series of jokes that one could do with that.  ;D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:30:35 PM »
As already noted, start by assuming that it is DFC, and in an equilateral triangle with the speaker stacks.  But, that has to be qualified by actually looking at the positioning of the stacks: are they tilted downward, in toward the center, arrayed in several directions.  If there is house music playing when you get there, then do the walk around as suggested.  In general, where you can hear things sound best, so will your mics, particularly if you can fly them above head level.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 05:43:27 PM »
And stake your stand into the ground for extra protection. BUT, at the Ledges, its just sand on top of cement, and you cant stake your stand anywhere DFC :( So I just sit behind my stand FOB/DFC and keep it from getting hit and just deal with it so I pull a smokin AUD :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
Tape it down!

And stake your stand into the ground for extra protection. BUT, at the Ledges, its just sand on top of cement, and you cant stake your stand anywhere DFC :( So I just sit behind my stand FOB/DFC and keep it from getting hit and just deal with it so I pull a smokin AUD :)
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline cyfan

• Taperssection Member
  • It's not personal
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 01:29:28 PM »
Also, the wind will be worse than you think. Always seems to be that way for me.
That little breeze whistling past your ear will sound like a freight train on your recording.
Superlux HK8 > Edirol UA-5 > JB3
Multi-tracker: Fostex VF 160 EX

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 01:57:40 PM »

Tape it down!

Tape it down on what? It's sand on top of cement.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »

Tape it down!

I think that expression would make good taper lingo synonymous with, "pull a smokn' tape!"

Music fan walking by before show- "Tape it down, d00d!"
TS member- "Word, brah!"
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »

Tape it down!

I don't know about this particular place, but sometimes you can walk around the edges of the field, find some rocks, ideally about the size of a loaf of bread.  Put those at the base of your stand, on the little braces that go from the legs to the center
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

stevetoney

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 04:04:47 PM »
Tapers often forget that our taper acronyms aren't intuitive to newbs...DFC = Dead Fucking Center.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 04:15:49 PM »
Didn't see that sand part my bad!!  If you look in REI or an outdoor store they have sand and snow anchors that would help wieght down your stand in sandy areas.  Wouldn't be as secure as regular stakes, but might do the trick.

http://www.rei.com/product/725165/rei-snow-and-sand-tent-anchors

Tape it down!

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:17:34 PM by jmbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »
If there's sand all over the place, why not just take a few ziplock freezer bags with you, fill 'em with sand and use them to weigh down the legs?
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 05:08:25 PM »
I don't know about this particular place, but sometimes you can walk around the edges of the field, find some rocks, ideally about the size of a loaf of bread.  Put those at the base of your stand, on the little braces that go from the legs to the center

You can also use the bread-loaf-sized rocks to take out those pesky beach balls that venture a little too close to your rig. ;)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com