Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Etree/Torrenting Question  (Read 6336 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Etree/Torrenting Question
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:48:13 PM »
I'll upload a show and let some leechers grab the show.  After a couple of people have gotten the complete show and turned into seeders, I usually drop off and let the sharing community take it from there.  Since I upload all of my shows in both 16 and 24 bit format, I get a number of shows that I've uploaded where all the seeders drop off and there's only 1 or 2 leeches left over waiting without any seeds.  At that point, I'll jump on and try to help these people out. 

My question is this...oftentimes, when there's only one or two leeches, when I jump back onto a torrent to seed, I'll connect for a day or two, but I never upload anything to these people and my torrent just sits.  Is that because one of us is firewalled or could there be other reasons?  Could the issue be on my end, even though I was able to seed the show out in the beginning?

Thanks! 

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Etree/Torrenting Question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 05:57:07 PM »

first thing that comes to mind is a problem on their end. If they are partial completes, maybe they only picked selected tracks to pull.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline taperj

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:02:16 PM »
The tracker actually has a check for this, if you go to the torrent details page and click on "Peers [See full list]" and at the bottom of each of the seeders and leechers categories you'll see something like:

0 of 16 firewalled (0%)

I couldn't find an example of someone who was reported as firewalled but I believe it highlights them in the list or such to signify which host is, I can't quite remember, anyway, with only 2 peers it should be quite easily ascertained. :)

With small swarms, the problem could be on either end, hopefully the facility I mentioned above should help you to determine which.

J
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Just ask the axis, he knows everything.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
I have never seen the torrent tracker at etree to be accurate.
The traders den and dime are but not etree IMO.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 07:14:52 PM »
hmm, testing...

a few moments later....

I have never seen the torrent tracker at etree to be accurate.
The traders den and dime are but not etree IMO.

You seem to be right on this, doesn't work on etree... but yeah, I know I've used this tool effectively on other sites.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:21:55 PM by taperj »
Rig: Neumann skm184 or Neumann skm140 > Sound Devices Mixpre > Olympus LS-10 or Korg MR-1

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
hmm, testing
Awesome!
I've always wondered why I've never been witness to anyone being firewalled on the list at etree.
Surely they can't all be non-n00bz?

And Steve, I often have this same exact problem. One or two leeches connects for a second and drops
or just won't connect at all. It's definitely them IME. I have been seeding for years
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 07:28:10 PM »
It's definitely them IME. I have been seeding for years

Agreed, I do a lot of private tracking of one or two person swarms and every time there's been an issue it's been on the other end. I would tend to say it's not you.

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  I did check the tracker as you suggested John, and both me and the leecher are showing up as not being firewalled.  I'm not worried about it or anything because this has happened to my uploads on etree fairly often once they lose their momentum...I guess there's not a whole lot I can do for those folks I'm afraid. 

One good thing is that I put my email in my info files, so if anyone can't live without one of my recordings, they can always get in touch with me if they really need to (assuming they can read ;))

Offline taperj

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
(assuming they can read ;))

I think this is a prerequisite for effective internet usage, not 100% sure.

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 11:43:09 PM »
I just had this issue last week on DIME and I PM'd the leecher to ask him what was up and if he was getting anything and he told me his Client[UTorrent] allows him to select specific files to DL and since he didnt want the entire torrent(I had uploaded 2 opening bands as 1 torrent) his status would always look like he wasnt  completing the DL.  He said he was staying on to help seed those specific files, but since he wouldnt be downloading the entire torrent, he would always be considered just a Leecher as far as statistics go.
I use Vuze and I dont have the option of only DL'ing specific files from a torrent and I had never known that was possible until then.
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 11:54:55 PM »
(assuming they can read ;))

I think this is a prerequisite for effective internet usage, not 100% sure.

Maybe;)

I just had this issue last week on DIME and I PM'd the leecher to ask him what was up and if he was getting anything and he told me his Client[UTorrent] allows him to select specific files to DL and since he didnt want the entire torrent(I had uploaded 2 opening bands as 1 torrent) his status would always look like he wasnt  completing the DL.  He said he was staying on to help seed those specific files, but since he wouldnt be downloading the entire torrent, he would always be considered just a Leecher as far as statistics go.
I use Vuze and I dont have the option of only DL'ing specific files from a torrent and I had never known that was possible until then.

Transmission (OSX) will also do that. I've used it on when I don't want to burn credits downloading everything or I just want a sample. Vuze used to (when it was Azureus), I wonder if they removed that or if it's just burried somewhere.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 12:13:32 AM »

Transmission (OSX) will also do that. I've used it on when I don't want to burn credits downloading everything or I just want a sample. Vuze used to (when it was Azureus), I wonder if they removed that or if it's just burried somewhere.
[/quote]
Maybe you're right...i havent looked around all of the settings in Vuze so maybe its an option...if i come across it ill let you know.
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 12:54:47 AM »
Thanks!

BT.ETREE went thorugh an overhaul several years ago that didn't go over too well...  That would have probably fixed any problems, but the tracker is pretty unreliable "stat-wise"...

The folks that run it are pretty much absent.  It would be nice if they were more active, etc...  But it is what it is...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 09:42:31 AM »
The folks that run it are pretty much absent.  It would be nice if they were more active, etc...  But it is what it is...

Out of curiosity, is there a contingency plan in case etree goes down for a long time (or period)?

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »
There are plenty of torrent trackers out there - what kind of contingency plan would be needed?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
There are plenty of torrent trackers out there - what kind of contingency plan would be needed?

I was more or less just curious about what would happen if it went away.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:06 AM »

Out of curiosity, is there a contingency plan in case etree goes down for a long time (or period)?

I don't know...

I don't mean to misrepresent the Admins over there, but they keep minimal tabs on BT.ETREE...  They'll delete bad torrents, etc.  But they do minimal work, allowing it to run on its own...

Personally, my contigency plan is to switch to tTD...  What I'll do when DB.ETREE dies, I have no idea...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stevetoney

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 11:03:23 AM »

I'd also probably just seed over at TTD. 

That said, I'd think the Phish trading community would go fairly skitzoid if etree ever shut down for any length of time...especially if it happened in the middle of a tour, so a contingency plan does seem reasonable to me.  Perhaps it only needs to be a simple statement somewhere on the site that says if the site goes down, updates will be provided to keep people informed.  Or maybe your point is valid in that this pretty much goes without saying  :-\.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:06:46 AM by tonedeaf »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com