Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Simple newbie help...  (Read 2138 times)

Offline jwindhall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Simple newbie help...
« on: April 20, 2004, 09:31:49 AM »
let me preface my question(s) by saying that this place was reccomened to me hy some friends of mine over at etree, they said ya'll are good folk 8)

I Live in Portland ME and recently i've got involved with minor organization and promotions of a streamline of new reggea music that' been coming to town. out of towners and virous small side projects and such.
 In doing all this, i've gained access to the SBD. now here is where it's going to get tricky... In no way do i consider myself a taper but i's really like to utilize this opportunity if at all possible.
with that being said, i've got 2 options. i've got a MD and an  Apple G4 1.33 ghz laptop. which route should i go down? keep in mind i'm pretty green here. How poor of a recording would i get from a simple SBD>RCA>line in to either my G4 or MD? Software is a whole nother issue i realize. currently for audio software I have soundtrack, garage band and i suppose final cut pro has some audio editing possibilities...
thanks for any info...

-J

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
Re:Simple newbie help...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 10:08:09 AM »
You came to the right place for your question... You'll get different opinions on this one.  You will get the best sound using your computer, but the MD will be the easiest.  I'm not sure for mac, but for pc there are quite a few freeware/shareware programs that will let you record to the lappy.  I'm not sure how the quality of the input on the mac is... most guys who record with a lappy have something between that and the source.  I would experiment with the laptop in 44.1k 16bit mode and see what happens by hooking it to your stereo at home.  If you use the higher quality recording modes on the lappy you will have to convert it, and imho that requires top knotch sofware.  44.1/16b is the max quality you get from a cd so that is good.  IF that seems tough to do, then just use the MD in THE HIGHEST QUALITY setting.  Not as good as cd quality, but it should be fairly good.  Many people record shows with MD.  

Good luck and +T!!
Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline jwindhall

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2004, 11:29:32 AM »
You came to the right place for your question... You'll get different opinions on this one.  You will get the best sound using your computer, but the MD will be the easiest.  I'm not sure for mac, but for pc there are quite a few freeware/shareware programs that will let you record to the lappy.  I'm not sure how the quality of the input on the mac is... most guys who record with a lappy have something between that and the source.  I would experiment with the laptop in 44.1k 16bit mode and see what happens by hooking it to your stereo at home.  If you use the higher quality recording modes on the lappy you will have to convert it, and imho that requires top knotch sofware.  44.1/16b is the max quality you get from a cd so that is good.  IF that seems tough to do, then just use the MD in THE HIGHEST QUALITY setting.  Not as good as cd quality, but it should be fairly good.  Many people record shows with MD.  

Good luck and +T!!
Matt

thanks for the info. i'm aware that most folks usually put something betwenn the source (SBD in this case) and the lap top. i'm working on that. As for the line in i'm not sure what it's default setting is (although i'm pretty sure it's 16 bit) I'm going to have to peck around and find out ...
-Justin

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2004, 03:02:59 PM »
Hey Justin - a Portland taper! Not too many up there...lived there for a few years in and after college. Used to love taping at the Stone Coast.

Anyway - if you do laptop line-in, that's analog, so I *think* you can record whatever bit depth you want from the analog feed (assuming you have software that's capable of 24-bit), but the A/D converter inside the laptop won't be the greatest. Ideally you'd want a device that had a USB or Firewire out so you can go digitally into your laptop though those ports rather than line-in, unless the laptop has an optical in (I think just the G5's have optical, though)...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline jwindhall

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2004, 04:02:23 PM »
Hey Justin - a Portland taper! Not too many up there...lived there for a few years in and after college. Used to love taping at the Stone Coast.

--Dave

you'd be surprised they seem to be floarting around quite a bit these days...stone coast s gone now though!

sounds liek for optimal sound i need  some sort of USB Audio Interface/ Amplifier, Correct? from there on out its jst a matter of haveing the right cables from the SBD>interface.

thanks again for the help

-Justin

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2004, 05:29:03 PM »
pick up a Edirol UA-5 on ebay, no need for modding it for your needs with the lappy, i've seen them go on there for real cheap.  And its easy to power in the field as well.  good luck welcome aboard.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 08:35:59 AM »
you'd be surprised they seem to be floarting around quite a bit these days...stone coast s gone now though!

I know...so sad! Very cool room and cool ownership. The sound guy and I got to be friendly over the few years I was taping there.

sounds liek for optimal sound i need  some sort of USB Audio Interface/ Amplifier, Correct? from there on out its jst a matter of haveing the right cables from the SBD>interface.

Yup - mexi's got ya on the right track with the UA-5...TONS of people on this board use them and are very happy with them. There are other options, of course, but the UA-5 is tried and true so far. :)
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com