Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Crowd Noise--Newbie question  (Read 2442 times)

Offline lds490

• Demon_In_Disguise
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Ride the llama!
    • Music List
Crowd Noise--Newbie question
« on: April 28, 2004, 09:44:04 AM »
What do y'all do about loud applause during and between songs?  I've used my stealth rig (AT 831's mounted in croakies on my glasses) twice now and both times I've had this problem.  Both shows were jazz performances in very quiet rooms.  I had the gain control up way high because the music was not very loud.  However, the applause between songs was loud and clipped.  Also, clapping after solos, though not loud enough for clipping, is kind of jarring.

Should I set the levels lower to avoid clipping between songs.  I think the levels during the music would be too low then.

I know I can clean up the recordings using a program like sound forge,  Can somebody give me specific instructions on how to do this?  Do I want to normalize, compress, or what?

Thanks.

LDS
http://db.etree.org/lds490
Open: Studio Projects C-1s-> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> Addonics Pocket EX
Stealth: AT 831 -> Mic2496 -> PDAudio-CF (IPAQ 5555) -> IBM Microdrive

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
Re:Crowd Noise--Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2004, 10:10:38 AM »
If it's between songs, I usually just notch down the volume a bit using soundforge.

When its in the middle of the song, I love it.  That's part of live music, esp. jazz!  It's a form of crowd participation, that contributes to the overall quality of the show.

What I can't stand is people jabbering to me while I am stealthing, or jabbering in front of the rig... there's not really anything you can do about it though, when it's on the tape... at least that I know of...
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2004, 11:26:32 AM »
you can usually fix that with software, or use something that has a softlimit on it like the mini-me.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline brandont_h

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 05:52:38 PM »
I'm pretty tall, so I kinda act like a human mic stand when I'm stealthing.  Rare is the occasion where crowd noise makes much of a difference in my tapes.
AKG C1000S > Edirol UA-5 > Sony TCD-D8
DAB > DA-120F > Sony TCD-D8

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 06:08:40 PM »
I'm pretty tall, so I kinda act like a human mic stand when I'm stealthing.  Rare is the occasion where crowd noise makes much of a difference in my tapes.

I used to dream of being tall (6'+) so I could dunk.  Then I dreamt of being tall so I could be a middle hitter.  Now I dream of being tall so I can be a human mic stand.  Times change...   :lol:
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2004, 12:43:58 PM »
I'll either reduce volume in between songs (in software), or use a compressor (also in software) after the fact, if necessary.  I guess reducing volume is probably best as you'll preserve the dynamic range in the applause whereas compressing can make it sound kind of odd.  Though, to be honest, I don't care as much about the sound of the applause, unless, as pfife says.  I have an acoustic show I matrixed, and the applause during the songs - after a solo, or some such, is great and totally adds to the feel of the recording.

Offline Tommy E.

• Taperssection Regular
  • Team AKG
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2004, 01:24:04 PM »
How exactly does the soft limit on the MME work or what does it do.  I have been borrowing one from callery until i can save enough money for a pre/ad combo of my own.  I used it tuesday night to record an orchestra and had the same problem but i didn't know what it was or what it does.  Now I have a pretty good idea of what it does and am curious about details or what limit to use.  Thanks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com