Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: simple solution for recording a single trumpet?  (Read 1863 times)

Offline teamakg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
simple solution for recording a single trumpet?
« on: September 20, 2004, 11:27:10 PM »
hey all,
looking for a simple solution for recording a single trumpet.  the gf plays trumpet and would like to record her practicing to help her analyze her playing.  she's not the best with technology so it needs to be simple.  i was thinking possibly a stereo mic into minidisc.  is it possible to record onto the same minidisc more than once?  she'd like to just record that night's practicing then listen to and repeat the whole process the next day without spending a ton on media.  thanks in advance.
george

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: simple solution for recording a single trumpet?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:02:36 AM »
hey all,
looking for a simple solution for recording a single trumpet.  the gf plays trumpet and would like to record her practicing to help her analyze her playing.  she's not the best with technology so it needs to be simple.  i was thinking possibly a stereo mic into minidisc.  is it possible to record onto the same minidisc more than once?  she'd like to just record that night's practicing then listen to and repeat the whole process the next day without spending a ton on media.  thanks in advance.
george

It is possible to record onto the same minidisc more than once. But if you wanted you could also record it directly into the computer if she practices near one, and just save each lesson in a folder or something.  They also sell cheaper clip on horn microphones on ebay that will clip onto the end of the horn.  However stereo mic to minidisc works perfectly, I used to use a sony stereo mic into a minidisc to record my cello sessions back in high school.

a mic that seems like it'll do exactly what you need without alot of fuss:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1288&item=3745653719&rd=1
mics & cameras

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 01:18:42 PM »
As a trumpet player myself, clip on is KEY. It's tough to stay still/pointed in one direction. The only reason I wouldn't go wit hthe mic linked on ebay is it says XLR connector. You really want something with plug-in power that can go right into the MD.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2004, 02:17:38 PM »
As a trumpet player myself, clip on is KEY. It's tough to stay still/pointed in one direction. The only reason I wouldn't go wit hthe mic linked on ebay is it says XLR connector. You really want something with plug-in power that can go right into the MD.

It includes a preamp though so all you have to do is get a ratshack connector and be on your way.  Either way though that was just an example of one.
mics & cameras

Offline teamakg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2004, 05:51:05 PM »

any recommendations on a clip on mic?  thanks.
george

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2004, 05:56:53 PM »
http://www.audio-technica.com/prodpro/profiles/PRO35x.html

i believe this model uses the AT853 capsules.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com