Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DSBD??? is this correct???  (Read 4864 times)

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DSBD??? is this correct???
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 08:45:27 AM »
Unless the band you're recording only uses MIDI keyboards and the vocalist is a robot who sings in binary.

Pure DSBD BABY!

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: DSBD??? is this correct???
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 11:35:05 AM »
I always thought DSBD meant the recorder was taking a digital feed straight from the board into the digital recording device.
Running SBD > rca > UA-5 > JB3, takes an analog signal from the soundboard into the UA-5 where it is converted to a digital feed for the JB3, right?. I've only run across one soundboard that had a digital out, and that was at a house party. I wound up using the rca analog jacks anyway because I wasn't sure what I'd get from the toslink optical jack.

DAUD would imply digital microphones to me. But I guess everyone has their own ideas...

i always assumed (and this is from pre-taping, maxell xl-IIs dead tape trading days) that DAUD was audience sourced (mics) into a digital recorder (dat) vs the AUD which was just mics into an analog source (reel to reel or cassette)
DSBD was a board source into a digital recorder while SBD was an analog recording.

now that technology has changed, i am not sure if these terms would be accurate... in reference to the quoted post, where there are digi outs on boards and the advent of digital mics (although not widely used).

i will continue to call the things as i am used to until i see a reason not to...
i agree with the exception that some DSBD are labeled SBD, its still a SBD source just adding the A or D clearifies it more without having to look at the whole chain of gear used
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com