Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for recommendations!  (Read 1958 times)

TDD99

• Trade Count: (0)
Looking for recommendations!
« on: March 17, 2007, 08:31:45 PM »
Hello all!

I am about to tape a Roger Waters show coming up here in a few months.  He will be playing in a closed space (hockey arena) and I am soliciting for thoughts on equipment.

I have about $750-$1000 CDN to spend.

As for microphones, the "core sound stealthy cardiod (matched, $250 w/battery box)" seems to be well regarded.  I like the concept of flash-based recorders (no moving parts) but am open to anything small and well concealed.

Battery life is important as I do not want to run out during the show, so being able to even change batteries during intermission is important...something the M-Audio 24/96 doesn't feature?

Recording with a high bit-rate and sample rate seems to make the most sense for archival purposes; I can downconvert later to 16/44 when needed.

I believe it is important to change recording levels whilst recording in case I am overloading...correct me if I am wrong.

In a nutshell, I am looking for a somewhat simple route to take here.  Set up the mics, set the levels, and record.  Enjoy the show and enjoy it again later on.

While not new to having recordings from these types of sources, I am new to actually making one myself, so please offer up all suggestions to make this a good recording!

Kevin.

spreadheadtom

Re: Looking for recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 08:51:34 PM »

I have about $750-$1000 CDN to spend.

30 bucks is gonna get you nowhere.  ;D

seriously....start here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,27767.0.html

the best thing to do is enjoy yourself at this show.....I'm sure it will be recorded.

sml42

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 02:57:38 PM »
As for microphones, the "core sound stealthy cardiod (matched, $250 w/battery box)" seems to be well regarded.

The microphones may be well regarded, but core sound are not. (by me, and at least several other people on these forums). Search for the "critique your rig" thread for details of my issues, the summary being that I will never use coresound again, nor would I recommend them.

best regards,
stephen

dorrcoq

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »
You shouldn't have any battery problems using any of the flash recorders.  I think you can get around 6 hours with the Edirol R-09 using AA's.

TDD99

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 04:10:57 PM »
Leaving it up to somebody else netted no known recording the last time they were through here (as Pink Floyd) with over 65,000 in the stadium, so I am taking the bull by the horns here  :)

Considering the volume of recordings I have gathered via the taper community, it seems only fair to give at least one back.  If I am the only taper, then I will somewhat be immortalized if nothing else.

Kev.

dorrcoq

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:20:13 PM »
Kev - where are you located?  Not getting a recording of the Black Crowes in Vancouver last May inspired me to start recording myself ;D

sml42

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 05:10:43 PM »
Leaving it up to somebody else netted no known recording the last time they were through here (as Pink Floyd) with over 65,000 in the stadium, so I am taking the bull by the horns here  :)

Considering the volume of recordings I have gathered via the taper community, it seems only fair to give at least one back.  If I am the only taper, then I will somewhat be immortalized if nothing else.

well said, +t!

(but I'd still avoid coresound if at all possible :) )

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com