Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tape to CD conversion  (Read 6368 times)

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
Tape to CD conversion
« on: January 28, 2008, 08:29:35 PM »
I am just finishing converting my DAT masters to WAV files (and then CD).

My next project is the cassette tape to WAV conversion of my master tapes (spanning 1986-1997).

I plan to use my Sony WM-D6C as my playback deck (been collecting dust since 1997), and my problem is where how to go to WAV file with the best D>A.  Here are my options:
 1) Sony WM-D6C > Radio Shack 1/8" to 1/8" cable > Edirol R-09
 2) Sony WM-D6C > TS.com bought 1/8">RCA > Marantz PMD-671
 3) Sony WM-D6C > TS.com bought 1/8">RCA > Sony PCM-R300 (just for the A>D) > digi-coax cable > Marantz PMD-671
or some combination of these units:
 Sony PCM-R300, Marantz PMD-671, Edirol R-09
being played out of the Sony WM-D6C.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions?  I am open to anything but spending tons and tons of money  ;D

Thanks in advance.

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Tape to CD conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 05:17:00 AM »
My next project is the cassette tape to WAV conversion of my master tapes (spanning 1986-1997).

I plan to use my Sony WM-D6C as my playback deck (been collecting dust since 1997), and my problem is where how to go to WAV file with the best D>A.  Here are my options:

With your current gear, I'd go this route, because the 671 can record in 24/96, giving you more headroom for editing in post. There's no benefit of involving the Sony R300, since it could only feed 20/48 at best.

Two suggestions though:
1. Consider getting a tape deck where you can adjust the azimuth manually. I know the standard recommendation is to always play the tapes on the deck where you initially recorded them, but the alignment of the D6 might have moved over time. These has also been posts here at TS warning for flutter in the very beginning/end of the tapes, that is accentuated by portable decks like the D6 (or D3, which I used to run). Search the forum!
2. I don't own a 671 myself, but I guess you would minimize losses on the analog stage and get better control of the input by running high-end XLR cables instead. YMMV.

/Jan
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Roving Sign

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:01:18 AM »

With your current gear, I'd go this route, because the 671 can record in 24/96, giving you more headroom for editing in post. There's no benefit of involving the Sony R300, since it could only feed 20/48 at best.

Two suggestions though:
1. Consider getting a tape deck where you can adjust the azimuth manually. I know the standard recommendation is to always play the tapes on the deck where you initially recorded them, but the alignment of the D6 might have moved over time. These has also been posts here at TS warning for flutter in the very beginning/end of the tapes, that is accentuated by portable decks like the D6 (or D3, which I used to run). Search the forum!
2. I don't own a 671 myself, but I guess you would minimize losses on the analog stage and get better control of the input by running high-end XLR cables instead. YMMV.

/Jan

Agree - Im not against trying take on the D6 for comparison, but that's a noisy little beast - and I wouldn't advise tinkering with the azimuth on that model.

But - I would be wanting to make sure the azimuth was dialed in - you can do this on most any cassette deck - just have to pop the door cover off to get to the set screws. I prefer single-direction decks for remastering over auto-reverse models.

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 11:04:56 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, but I am not one to open up decks and mess with them... as I will only make them worse.

I also have a early 90s model Onkyo dual deck unit out on loan, do you think that would be better?  I could then go RCA out of the onkyo to RCA in on the 671

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 06:55:27 PM »
Any chance you could borrow a Nak cass deck from someone? If you could do that, clean the heads, demag, and go rca's > 671, you would be all set, imo. I have a Nak DR-2 sitting in storage, but I'm a long way from Rochester.

Harold
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Professor chaos

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 07:22:54 PM »
i agree get a nak tape deck with azimuth adjustment control. and so straight into the 671 at 24/48 or more. i'm using a nak mr-1 to playback cassettes and i love it.
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 11:18:57 PM »
any idea on the tape deck model number(s)?

Offline sunjan

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 05:34:24 PM »

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 09:39:52 AM »
http://www.vintagecassette.com/zearch?query=azimuth

This list doen't help much, because it also lists the decks with adjustable RECORD head azimuth. There are only three decks though that feature PLAYBACK head azimuth adjustment on the front of the deck: Nak CR-7, DR-1 and CD-1. The Dragon has an automatic PB head az correction system called 'NAAC'.

Bascially azimuth adjustment is possible with any deck (not just Naks) if you remove the cassette door and adjust the adjustment screw on the head block using a screwdriver.

Have you done a search yet? This subject was discussed several times already here.

Offline sunjan

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 10:50:08 AM »
http://www.vintagecassette.com/zearch?query=azimuth

This list doen't help much, because it also lists the decks with adjustable RECORD head azimuth.

Yeah, I know, but on the landing page for the search you also have checkboxes with filters for manual playback azimuth. Which will come up with the shortlist you just mentioned.

The site refused to provide a proper URL to each filter, because of paranoid HTML coding of the web site. But I figured most ppl would be smart enough to click on the individual models and read up on the feature sets before jumping the gun...

/Jan
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:24:29 AM by sunjan »

Offline tilomagnet

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 11:35:19 AM »
^^

Ahh yes, just saw that. ;D

Anyway, it's still worth mentioning, because you often see people advertising their decks with "this has azimuth adjustment" etc. when it's actually just the record head that is adjustable, which is of course useless for playback, and some people buy those decks thinking they could properly digitize their tapes with them.

For example the Nakamichi ZX series decks have three discrete heads, with the record head az adjustment on the front panel, but PB az adjustment needs to be done on the head block.

Offline Professor chaos

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 08:25:19 PM »
^^

Ahh yes, just saw that. ;D

Anyway, it's still worth mentioning, because you often see people advertising their decks with "this has azimuth adjustment" etc. when it's actually just the record head that is adjustable, which is of course useless for playback, and some people buy those decks thinking they could properly digitize their tapes with them.

For example the Nakamichi ZX series decks have three discrete heads, with the record head az adjustment on the front panel, but PB az adjustment needs to be done on the head block.

this is a very good point. i almost bought a deck that had record azimuth adjustment only because i did not do the research. luckly i had someone stop me before i starting bidding on the deck. i found that naks.com has alot of info and links about cass. decks.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 01:19:15 AM by Professor chaos »
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »
Thanks for all of the good info, I am still looking and researching, so feel free to keep adding 2 cents :)

Offline aegert

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »
I would use almost any other deck than the d6... That has a dc brush motor and has noise that the 24/96 will pick up on playback...  I would definitely do the 24/96 with the 671 for sure..

Try to get a dr-1 nak.. The azimuth thing is important but if it is in service it will be much better than the d6

Look to get a dr-8 or a bx-3 anything... Have it serviced if it is in good service it will work for you.. Azimuth adjust is tricky on a cassette without azimuth tones lade down with out an 0-scope...

A :-)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:55:14 AM by aegert »
B&k 4022's > Grace Lunatec V3 > Self Built  Neutrik/ Mogami XLR to TRS > Korg MR1000

Schoeps CMT44's > Self Built Neutrik/ Tuchel 2 ch Snake > Switchcraft Phantom to T-power Adapters > Grace Lunatec V3 > Sound Devices 722

www.motb.org

The bus came by and I got on....

Offline gmm6797

• Homepage
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 11:30:18 PM »
I would use almost any other deck than the d6... That has a dc brush motor and has noise that the 24/96 will pick up on playback... 

Thanks for the input, that is good to know, but bad for my bottom line :(

I own one of these too, Onkyo TA-RW544, just a generic Circuit City deck, anyone know anything about these worth noting?

Guess I never realized this would be a pain in the butt... but to get it right is better IMHO

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com