Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Setting up a stand in a reserved-seating venue  (Read 2314 times)

Offline hardrain62

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Setting up a stand in a reserved-seating venue
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:01:11 PM »
Hey all,

First time poster! Just to introduce myself a little, I've been stealth taping for nearly 10 years, but just recently got into taping with a 7.5' mic stand with new Rode condensers. Needless to say I'm LOVING the results.

Now, my questions: how does one go about setting up a mic stand in a reserved-seating venue? Do you leave it in the aisle nearest you? Can you leave it by the soundboard? Really can't figure out how I should attack taping in a reserved-seating theater, so I would really appreciate some advice, and even some experiences.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your input!

David
Taping since 2002.

Current Stealth: AT943 > Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-10 > Sony PCM A10

Tascam DR-680, Tascam DR-100, Sony PCM-M10, RĂ˜DE NT5, Studio Projects C4, Roland R-05, iRiver h320 (Modified with Rockbox Firmware), Sony MZ-NF810CK Minidisc, Sony MZ-R70 Minidisc, Sound Professionals SP-CMC-1, Sound Professionals SP-EMC1/SP-BMC-12 binaural mics

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: Setting up a stand in a reserved-seating venue
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
Bungee cords are your friend so set the stand between seats and secure w/ bungee cord w/ rest of gear in lap. Or if you can ask venue if you can set up in soundboard area and maybe leave rig running near sound guy. Does the theater have a balcony? If so bring a clamp and clamp your mics front and center to rail.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:30:51 PM »
Or get yourself this setup to clamp onto just about anything, including the armrest of your chair:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110425.0
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
Or get yourself this setup to clamp onto just about anything, including the armrest of your chair:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110425.0

Yeah, I'd try clamping before using bungee cords. It's best to have a low profile stand or an extension in a reserved seating situation. Either can be clamped to a seat. The bonus of a low-pro stand is that you'll have options other than having to clamp. Gaffer's tape and a small stand will leave you more options in my opinion.
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline nameloc01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Cleveland,USA
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:26:53 PM »
Its best to call the theater a day or so before the show, introduce yourself to the manager and explain what you'll be doing, alot of times the venues will have dealt with tapers in the past and have a certain area they would prefer you set up in, in my experience its usually a pretty good location in regards to the sound..sometimes an unused spotlight box, an unused private box, area by the board..ect. You should also have a clamp or two in your bag, so if you cant use a stand or can get a better spot by clamping somewhere else you'll be able to. You really dont want to show up at a venue ( especially one you're not familiar with) with a stand and just expect everything will go smooth..people are very busy on show days and making prior arrangements always works and looks best. When you call..ask about stand space, or about the rail systems.that way you will know beforehand if a clamp will work at all and what kind you will need.
ATu853 (c/o)
Denecke PS-2
Sony MZ-M100 (x2)
Sony PCM M-10
Ixxx XX-X
Ixxx XX-X

https://www.flickr.com/photos/46018790@N03/sets/

Offline crossthreaded

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »
I'm still yet to snag one of those extension poles in the yard sale so my normal course of action in theatres is to tape my stand (gaff tape) to the seat and extend it up.  just gotta make sure it is secure.  I always tape to the seat b/w my girlfriend and I so that I don't bother any of the commoners.
akg 460/ck61>cables>busman T mod R4
stuff > rio > es > cl5 > nexo

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
Its best to call the theater a day or so before the show, introduce yourself to the manager and explain what you'll be doing, alot of times the venues will have dealt with tapers in the past and have a certain area they would prefer you set up in, in my experience its usually a pretty good location in regards to the sound..sometimes an unused spotlight box, an unused private box, area by the board..ect. You should also have a clamp or two in your bag, so if you cant use a stand or can get a better spot by clamping somewhere else you'll be able to. You really dont want to show up at a venue ( especially one you're not familiar with) with a stand and just expect everything will go smooth..people are very busy on show days and making prior arrangements always works and looks best. When you call..ask about stand space, or about the rail systems.that way you will know beforehand if a clamp will work at all and what kind you will need.

Definitely call ahead or arrive early and talk with security.  Ran into an issue last night at Wilco where an asshole behind where we had a ticket (10-12 row center) complained and security said noway to us running stands.

I moved to right by the soundboard and even there got flak for setting up a stand.  The other taper ended up clamping to the front of the stage as he had front row center tix.

I have never been to a show where so many audience members where Anti-Taping.

I would suggest keeping the stand very low up until run time and would only run an extension pole at a blatenly taper friendly band/crowd (jam band show).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 09:49:43 PM by H2O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline 3-Fan

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 12:11:06 PM »
For in-seat taping, I usually run a Super Clamp on the arm rest with a flexible arm up to my mics.  That way I can bend the flex arm so it is right in front of my view and not in front of the folks behind me.  Most of the venues that want me to tape from my seat don't allow the mics to be raised over head height.
AT853 > Church 9100 3 wire w/ mini XLR and switchable 4.7K mod > Edirol R-09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.155 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com