Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: n00by - Got the gear. Now what?  (Read 4201 times)

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Hold still my sexy little mule!
n00by - Got the gear. Now what?
« on: February 27, 2008, 06:10:59 PM »
Hello all,
I have been reading for a few days now. You guys rock!

Here is my situation:
1. I bought a Edirol R-09 a while back to record lectures for my business. I have been using it to record drum workshops and drum circles more than for lectures. I just set it in the middle of the circle while everyone is playing, adjust the input levels accordingly (using internal mics), and let it go.

2. I have been using Sound Forge 8.0d to clean up the tracks and burn to CD's.

3. Bought a set of these mics (http://www.audioreality.com/) on eBay with a P.O.S. Olympus voice recorder for $51.00. Tested the mics with battery box and R-09 at home with drums and everything seems to work fine.

4. I have 3 shows coming up over the next few weeks. Of all the shows, the first one is the one that I really want to record!

Now this is where I plead for your help. I have the gear (My Dad has always told me that I have more money than sense!) but I don't have the Guts. With knowledge will come courage and I am hoping to learn from all of you in a very short period of time.

What do I do next?
What do I need to know about smuggling these technological wonders into a show?
What happens if I get caught? This might make a good topic all by itself!
Once I am in, where do I hide the Edirol? The battery box? Think I might strap the edirol on my forearm under a loose shirt or jacket for easy access.
Tips on mic placement for a big show? I have floor tickets and expect it to be LOUD. I am 6'3" tall and I usually have good line of sight from the floor. I am thinking that everyone wearing glasses with Croakies is automatically subjected to a cavity search :o  Am I right?
Any tips on basic settings for the Edirol? A starting point?
Is it at all smart to check levels on the R-09 while standing in the crowd? That monitor screen and red "Record" button are pretty bright.

Thanks in advance!
LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline ozzyzak

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Re: n00by - Got the gear. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
Without going into detail, I'll answer what I can...

You can pretty much put the Edirol anywhere you think it will be safe.  As you no doubt know by now, it's quite tiny and you should be able to keep it in a lot of places.  As for basic settings, other than making sure the AGC is off and the external mic is set for stereo, also make sure that it's set to low sensitivity if it's going to be loud.

Typically with levels, I'll try and get a good feel in the opening song, usually write at the beginning.  Once I feel comfortable that the levels aren't set to high I usually just put the hold lock on and let it sit.  I've found that generally this works the best for me as I'm not worrying myself sick checking every 10 minutes to check levels.  Not only that, but you are more and more likely to get caught the more times you pull that thing out.  Sometimes I'll just cover the red light with a shirt or something.  If you've done enough reading into, you'll know that while you can't completely eliminate the red light, you can get rid of it for the most part.

Also, as a side note, you might want to dim the LCD as far down as it will go.  Even in complete darkness, the dimmest setting is more than enough.  Anyhow, to summarize, I usually just keep the stuff in my pockets and try not to move around too much.  As for the other stealth questions, you'll just have to be creative.  If you get caught, whatever you do, don't hand over your gear, just leave and don't make a fuss.

If anyone thinks I've said too much, please let me know, as it was not my intention.

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 03:48:18 AM »
What do I need to know about smuggling these technological wonders into a show?
What happens if I get caught?

Tips on mic placement for a big show?

Any tips on basic settings for the Edirol?

Is it at all smart to check levels on the R-09 while standing in the crowd?

Hey Mark,

You can get an answer to all these questions if you use the search function here.
For mic placement, I always go for hat mount. Search the rig pictures for ideas.
For checking levels during the show, get a feel about the immediate surrounding where you're standing. Once you learn to recognize security, you can make a risk assessment.
And like others have said: if you get caught, just walk out. Noone except the cops has any right to touch your gear.

/J

Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
Thank you to everyone for your advice and support. I was amazed to see that there hade been more than 30 views and 3 responses within 15 minutes of posting my question. Incredible! I understand that questions like mine make alot of people nervous. Even in an environment where everyone is anonymous, people don't want to give up their secrets to just anyone. Especially a newby who signed up yesterday and has zero tickets! Thanks again and I hope to make you proud!

LIVE MP3s?!? Disclaimer: If you're anything like me, you'll utterly hate how this shit sounds, which is no offense to (names removed), who have been to too many shows with their digital toys to NOT make me feel guilty about not playing better. But like I keep telling them, live music is for listening to live where bodies, surfaces and beer absorb the blemishes, and recorded music, well, that's why you fucking go to a studio to make your records, right? Nevertheless, in the interest of full disclosure, and because some people dig this shit, here's a few nuggets of live joy, some old shit, some new, some borrowed and no goddamn blues, because I'm white and have more respect for BLAH BLah blah

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 03:31:26 PM »
Also, as a side note, you might want to dim the LCD as far down as it will go.  Even in complete darkness, the dimmest setting is more than enough.  Anyhow, to summarize, I usually just keep the stuff in my pockets and try not to move around too much.  As for the other stealth questions, you'll just have to be creative.  If you get caught, whatever you do, don't hand over your gear, just leave and don't make a fuss.
I tape black construction paper over the screen on mine and set levels based on the clip light...
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline GrandMasterMark

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »
Hey there Freelunch, a quick note to tell you how right you really are with the Practice advice.

I decided to follow your guidance and to perform a test run in a safe and relatively trouble free environment - I figured that I would start out slow, not put my rig at risk of being confiscated, and have fun learning about the whole process.

I have been openly taping African drum workshops and drum circles for a few months now with the built in mics on my R-09. Taping at these events is encouraged. I just turn it on, find a central spot to set it and then monitor the levels as we go. I have been amazed at the quality recording that I have gotten using this method. My test was to tape it ninja style without telling anyone. No need to velcro my battery box to my n*ts@ck to smuggle it anywhere and if I was discovered taping I would just say that I was trying something new. It was interesting to say the least and I can tell that there is no doubt in my mind that if this were a real "black bag" job, I would have screwed it up pretty bad.

Firstly, everyone noticed that I was wearing a hat! I never wear hats and everyone commented on it. Probably not an issue at any other venue.

Nextly, several of the regulars wanted to know where my cool little recorder was!  ;D I almost burst out laughing! Not an issue elsewhere.

Also, no security to dodge but also no crowd or cover of darkness to hide in. Everytime I reached into my pocket to check levels, someone seemed to be looking at me. Therefore I had a tough time monitoring what was happening and clipped most of the recording.

Lastly, learning my rig. That hold switch is probably really cool (I know that it is really small!) when levels are right on the money and you don't want anything to change. When everything isn't right and you do want to change things, that tiny little f*#king switch can really become a HUGE source of frustration!

So thank you all again for the tips. I have two more opportunities to practice and I am sure that there is more to learn. Keep the comments coming.

m

A pro golfer was once asked by a reporter how he got so "Lucky" as to win a tournament 3 years in a row. He simply responded, "It's just LUCK, The more I practice, the Luckier I get!

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:17:11 PM »
Think creatively.
We'd rather not have people publicly discussing stealthing techniques.

Hi, I'm new here but I don't see why stealthing techniques shouldn't be discussed on a forum about taping shows.  It's not quite like discussing where to get warez or something explicitly illegal like that... Reasons?

To the OP, I would recommend stashing stuff near the crotch... that area will not get patted down if security is frisking.  Though, preferably not directly in contact with the genitals.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:19:19 PM by su6oxone »

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »
Think creatively.

Hi, I'm new here but I don't see why stealthing techniques shouldn't be discussed on a forum about taping shows.  It's not quite like discussing where to get warez or something explicitly illegal like that... Reasons?

To the OP, I would recommend stashing stuff near the crotch... that area will not get patted down if security is frisking.  Though, preferably not directly in contact with the genitals.  ;)

We would all prefer that stealthing techniques not be discussed here because security personnel read this forum.  Maybe not security from your town, but we're not all that lucky.  We had one of our local guys busted by security BECAUSE of something posted here on this forum.  Why tell security what to look for?  As my buddy Mokie says, "Keep stealth stealth."  ;)

It's not a matter of not wanting to share our "skills" with new guys, it's a matter of not wanting to share it with security.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »

One reason:  Venue staff and security have trolled the messageboard to identify our techniques and have busted some TSers as a result.

Another reason:  In light of the above, it's just not all that difficult to figure out how to do it on your own.

A third reason:  One perspective suggests that "stealth" doesn't only apply to the act of making the recording, it also applies to everything that goes into the whole process.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 07:44:46 PM »
Good points and well taken.  Sad to think that bands/crew would prowl these boards to bust stealthers who just want to re-experience a great live show they saw, but then again, there are still professional bootleggers around so no surprise.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 08:18:37 PM »
Think creatively.

If you ask any of these guys in PM they would be more then glad to help you with any advice. But as it has been said before its not something anyone talks about in the open. I have a particularly hard time with it because I make gear some of you guys use :) But out of respect, I dont talk about ways of doing any stealth techniques in the open. But I will say this, Most of the techniques used are COMMON sense. :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 10:17:48 PM »
answering these questions in pm is not in our intrests either.
you deal with this off net completely is how our intrests are best served.

stealth is not answering questions to strangers we dont know.
could be anyone, no no not on a forum but i can tell ya in pm.
once and for all theres nothing to tell,no secrets just doing whats got to be done.

if you cant work something out like that dont tape, just watch the show and think about what you could have done.   go home play more xbox or ps3 to help brain with working things out.
you know , run , hide , duck , up ,down, left,  right, now, not now etc etc

stop feeding strangers with silver spoons you mummys out there.

they can feed themselves, 15 years old onwards most are who are here.

i say this because i have a vision of preserving selfs intrests on this hobby of mine.
being as alert and wise my self can allow me to be to fully enjoy the smoothest ride possible
on all stops everywhere and anywhere.

is this so hard to understand tapers, are you not as smart as security can be if they choose to.

keep on pm stealth you bright sparks out there. 

g

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 12:19:31 AM »
stealth is not answering questions to strangers we dont know.
could be anyone, no no not on a forum but i can tell ya in pm.

QFT.

Most of it isn't that hard to figure out.  PMing someone with only a few posts isn't that much different than publicly stating it.  Trading tradecraft methods with another known taper/stealther via PM is a lot different than telling the secrets of the hobby to a complete unknown (no offense to the newbies).

Think creatively.  Plan your equipment purchases.  You'll figure it out.  You already had the answers to your questions, you just need to allow yourself to see them.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com