Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery life Church CA-Ugly pre  (Read 2370 times)

Offline dbindc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
Battery life Church CA-Ugly pre
« on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »
Does anyone know approximately how long a standard 9v alkaline will last in the ca-ugly powering DPA 4061's and assuming I'm using the full 20db boost?   Did one 3 hr show already.  Should I swap out the battery before I use it tonight for a 2-3 hr. event?
Gefell M300, DPA 4022 and 4061
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Battery life Church CA-Ugly pre
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 02:15:32 PM »
You should easily be be good to go for a couple more shows. I think all the Church pres are rated for 30+ hours powering mics of average drain (though I believe the DPA's use a good bit more juice than average).

Get yourself a cheap multimeter like this:
http://www.surplusgizmos.com/Digital-Multimeter-DMM-Large-Display-and-TransistorDiode-Test_p_153-1384.html
and test the battery before each show. As long as it is putting out 8.5+ volts, you should be good for another show. This will save you a ton on batteries in the long run. No longer any need to toss them when they still have a lot of life left just to be safe.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 03:38:36 PM »

http://www.surplusgizmos.com/Digital-Multimeter-DMM-Large-Display-and-TransistorDiode-Test_p_153-1384.html
and test the battery before each show. As long as it is putting out 8.5+ volts, you should be good for another show. This will save you a ton on batteries in the long run. No longer any need to toss them when they still have a lot of life left just to be safe.

FANTASTIC ADVICE!
I forget what the cut off is, it may be around 6 volts and if its below that, chunk it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 03:48:46 PM »
I can't find the post now, but I copied a Chris Church post where he says his preamps need 7.0 volts to operate and 7.5 volts to operate optimally. He recommended 8.0 volts for safety.  I guess my original 8.5 was a bit conservative (I was writing from memory). Lordbelial has recommended at least 8.2 at start of show for safety.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680

Offline dbindc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 04:00:29 PM »
Thanx for all the helpful advice.  My cheapo digital multimeter says 8.97v, so I guess I'm good to go.  First time running it into my new R-09HR so I'm excited.  So long Microcrapper!
Gefell M300, DPA 4022 and 4061
MBHO 603A/648 + KA200, KA500, KA100DK, KA400, KA800, K20, vintage MB omni & cardioid capsules under Peerless and Unitra brands  Audix SCX1  Josephson branded MBHO/Peerless 640
preamps and recorders SD MP2 Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox  Edirol R44  Sony M10 CA-Ugly

Offline dimm0k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 04:38:23 PM »
You should easily be be good to go for a couple more shows. I think all the Church pres are rated for 30+ hours powering mics of average drain (though I believe the DPA's use a good bit more juice than average).

While I don't know much about the specifics of a battery I was thinking of getting a multimeter for the same reason you described.  The only issue I have with this is, wouldn't this only tell you that there's enough juice to give you that reading at that moment rather than how much juice is left?

Offline fmaderjr

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
I don't know the technicalities, but from reading discussions here I understand that if the multimeter shows 8.2+ volts at the moment, there will be enough left for a show.

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 08:19:46 AM »
As long as it is putting out 8.5+ volts, you should be good for another show. This will save you a ton on batteries in the long run. No longer any need to toss them when they still have a lot of life left just to be safe.

While I don't know much about the specifics of a battery I was thinking of getting a multimeter for the same reason you described.  The only issue I have with this is, wouldn't this only tell you that there's enough juice to give you that reading at that moment rather than how much juice is left?

Dimm0k, you're absolutely right. The reading won't tell you how much juice there is left.

The only way to tell is by learning your specific discharge curve for your particular rig (like gutbucket did in the thread below). This will largely depend on which brand/type of battery you're running, but also the mic model and which version of the CA pre you have. Chris Church modified the specs, so recent builds draw less current.

Once you've gotten to know the discharge curve, you can extrapolate how long you can run your rig at any given reading:
http://www.mpoweruk.com/performance.htm
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-16a.htm

Gutbucket experienced distortion to his mics already by 8.5V:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,91415.msg1455320.html#msg1455320

So unless you've tested and ran your mics with low voltage, Chris advise against running his gear below 8.5V.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:31:40 AM by sunjan »
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline dimm0k

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »
Guess I will give the green light to purchase a multimeter.  Thanks sunjan and mshilarious!  This is invaluable info not just for this specific application, but for anything else that uses batteries.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com