Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: First taping effort - professional critique requested  (Read 3470 times)

Offline castout85

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
First taping effort - professional critique requested
« on: October 10, 2010, 04:18:07 PM »
I have a modest beginner setup.
Next Investment = Battery module

My first effort:

SP-BMC-2 > Radio Shack Attenuator>MZ-R700 (Plugin Power)
venue: St. Pete Times Forum

40 feet right of stack - in a very swirly area.

sample: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YE00MRET 

any critique is welcome.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:22:24 PM by castout85 »

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: First taping effort - professional critique requested
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 04:45:59 PM »
Firstly -  forget the professional part!

Pretty sure I know who the artist is, pretty distinctive voice!

Not a bad overall first effort - certainly better than my foul up..

1. The vocals (and most of the sound generally) is over the left channel - what's up the right channel?
2. You have some mild (visible, and audible) clipping, due to a general lack of dynamics, and slightly flattened peaks.

UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline castout85

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 04:52:30 PM »
Firstly -  forget the professional part!

Pretty sure I know who the artist is, pretty distinctive voice!

Not a bad overall first effort - certainly better than my foul up..

1. The vocals (and most of the sound generally) is over the left channel - what's up the right channel?
2. You have some mild (visible, and audible) clipping, due to a general lack of dynamics, and slightly flattened peaks.

I was way left of the stage, and my mics were in a binaural configuration.
Thanks for the observations. I notice clipping as well. But then I thought, it could have been a lot worse! My levels were probably set at the optimum setting, 1 or 2 notches higher would have been disastrous. 

« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 05:18:43 PM by castout85 »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »

SP-BMC-2 > Radio Shack Attenuator>MZ-R700 (Plugin Power)

It's surprising you got anything at all. Using an attenuator of any kind between the mics and plug in power will also attenuate power to the mics.

Get that bbox!

Offline castout85

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:19:41 PM »
the difference is that drastic huh.     now im left wondering would it COULD have came out sounding like...    ;)

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »
the difference is that drastic huh.     now im left wondering would it COULD have came out sounding like...    ;)

Yes. Sony MinDisc recorders have very low plug in power (could be as low as 1.5 v.), so going mic in with plug in power is way worse than with most flash recorders that typically have at least 3 volts (which still is often not enough). Plus using your rat shack attenuator also attenuates the plug in power & makes it even lower.

At least get a battery box and go line in if you get adequate levels that way and mic in if you don't.

AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 05:54:33 PM »
However it still is a listenable result with a big lesson attached.
I think it sounds good enough to where you and others will listen to it again.
I too am surprised it worked to be honest.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline castout85

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 06:11:15 PM »
im thinking a microphone madness box will suit me well.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 06:13:03 PM by castout85 »

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 07:33:38 PM »
I have a nice deal in the yard sale that may serve you better than just adding a bbox to your sp-2s.For $125 shipped you would get core-sound cardioids with bbox and core-sound binaurals (the low cost version)you could run the core binaurals or your sp2s into the csc bbox but you will need an adapter cable from core sound or elsewhere to go from miniplug to the connector of the bbox. Im not desperate to get rid of these but want to pass them on to someone who will get more use out of them than i am.Does your sony md deck have a low sensitivity setting?i remember a certain model did not.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »
Aside from the aforementioned right channel issue (not much coming out from it), it doesn't sound too bad at all.  Considering that you were in a less than optimal location (from what you mentioned), it's pretty decent.  Not too much crowd noise is always a good thing.  It does sound a bit distant, but given that this sounds like it was in a pretty large arena-type venue it's almost a given unless you're really in the sweet spot.

Re: battery box or pre, I would get a small battery box from Sound Pros or a more expensive but more versatile 9100 preamp from Church Audio. 

Who is it btw?

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 08:44:08 PM »
Re: battery box or pre, I would get a small battery box from Sound Pros or a more expensive but more versatile 9100 preamp from Church Audio. 

Or a small battery box from Church audio. I love the ST-9100 if you want to spend the money.

It is possible though, that you could use another set of mics as well in addition to the battery box. SP's makes very good stuff, but I checked the SP-2's specs at the SP's website and they only go to up to a 105 dB SPL (and it doesn't say that they go higher with a battery box). They probably sound tremendous for ambient stuff, which is what they are designed for, but may well distort at a loud rock show even with a battery box.

If you do want to try another set of mics, I would get CA-14 cards or omnis from Chris Church plus one of his tiny battery boxes.
There are many other good options also, but if you are on a budget I feel the CA's give you the most bang for the buck.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline castout85

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 09:59:52 PM »
I was attempting to locate the technical specs of the handmade mics over at church audio but i was unable to find them - ( took me a min or 2 to find the correct website as there is church supply and church sound that show up on google) . never the less i've heard many recordings with church audio equipment and I can say that it is top quality, high fidelity stuff.

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 04:02:33 PM »

Or a small battery box from Church audio. I love the ST-9100 if you want to spend the money.

It is possible though, that you could use another set of mics as well in addition to the battery box. SP's makes very good stuff, but I checked the SP-2's specs at the SP's website and they only go to up to a 105 dB SPL (and it doesn't say that they go higher with a battery box). They probably sound tremendous for ambient stuff, which is what they are designed for, but may well distort at a loud rock show even with a battery box.

If you do want to try another set of mics, I would get CA-14 cards or omnis from Chris Church plus one of his tiny battery boxes.
There are many other good options also, but if you are on a budget I feel the CA's give you the most bang for the buck.
I use BMC-2s regularly. They'll go well over 105 db, but that's with a sound pros box that they're specifically designed for
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 07:20:55 PM »
chris church also allows trade in and thus sometimes has used gear for sale in the retail section here. some great gear either way... i'd go for an older preamp instead for greater flexibility in future taping situations.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com