Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Beginner  (Read 2606 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Beginner
« on: July 24, 2004, 06:12:03 PM »
How's it goin?  I am a beginner at this taping thing, well owning my own rig part of it.  I have a set of attenuetters connected to the line in on the SD mixpre.  I aren't real sure what those are used for.  I am seaming to have I guess alot of "head" on my tapes.  I guess that is what it's called.  I can hear a noise in the tapes.  Any tips appreciative.
Thanks,
Jesse

Mk4 -> cmc6 -> SD Mixpre -> M1

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • god-damned hippies!
Re: Beginner
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 07:05:32 PM »
man... do some reading on your gear.

radioboy1977

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 07:11:43 PM »
 ::)

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 07:45:02 PM »
I've started to read up on my rig.  I've come to find out I'm setting up my mics wrong, but I'm not sure this is the reason for the distorted sounding echoeing tapes I put out.  I guess only time and practice will help the solution.  Tips if any.....

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 07:49:19 PM »
I've started to read up on my rig.  I've come to find out I'm setting up my mics wrong, but I'm not sure this is the reason for the distorted sounding echoeing tapes I put out.  I guess only time and practice will help the solution.  Tips if any.....

read more! ;D

Offline aberg

• Team Canada
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 09:01:44 PM »
I don't get it.... why do you keep telling him to read?

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 04:36:01 PM »
why would you want attenuaters for this setup?  that's probably what's causeing the noise ..... subpar attenuaters.

that's a sweet newbie rig!  but yeah set it up at home without the attenuaters and see what happens. 

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 04:40:24 PM »
A few specific pointers, a) you should be running the cmc6's into the microphone inputs (not line inputs) of the mixpre -- the mixpre should have plenty of headroom to take the cmc6's signal and the attenuators, which drop the "power" of the mic's signal should be TOTALLY unnecessary.  Taking these steps should help clean up your sound considerably.  Of course, your mixpre should be feeding your m1 through its LINE (not microphone) input, and you should set the gain from the mixpre so you're getting good levels with the m1's volume knob set at around 7-8 (out of 10, with 10 being full gain)

Next, you should probably start experimenting with microphone configuration -- when I ran mk4s, I had great luck using the ortf configuration -- definitely a good place to start, configuration-wise.  Finally, look into mic placement (i.e. where to set up to get the best sound) -- once you've got your system set up properly, this is the single most important factor in getting a setup to run properly

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com