Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Allowed to tape SBD - but need your help for setup  (Read 4884 times)

Offline rvman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Allowed to tape SBD - but need your help for setup
« on: December 29, 2004, 10:18:03 PM »
I have a band that is allowing me to tape the sbd feed of the show, but I hate dry SBD feeds & want to do a really good job.  I assume I would need to set up stereo mics to catpure the crowd as well & mix that in, or would I have to record SBD & crowd/hall separately - is the crowd mix part essential? -

What is the easiest/best way to capture this?

thx

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
Re: Allowed to tape SBD - but need your help for setup
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 10:47:38 PM »

Options

1 - Run a stage rig, THRU THE SNAKE.  Setup your mic's onstage, and get them to patch them into the snake running back to the FOH mix, then blend them with the full mix-out of the SBD - this would require an outboard mixer.

2 - If the FOH is not to far from the stage, run a pair of mic's at the mix position, blended with the feed from the sbd - this also would require an outboard mixer.

3 - Run 2 separate rigs - one for the mic's, one for the sbd - and blend/mix them in post using one of the many audio programs available for this purpose.  Drawbacks: having to have/run 2 seperate rigs and synch the 2 recordings (especially if they are 2 different A/D's, as 2 different clocks will mean having to make sure everything is still in synch every so often).

4 - Beg, borrow or steal a SD744T and do either (1) or (2) above...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2004, 02:17:26 AM »
Thx alot - very helpful a- a couple ?s:

Would the mics onstage in (1) be to account for the delay?

Would they capture crowd noise/hall sound best if positioned on the stage, per your idea?

Dumb question - what is A/D?

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2004, 11:58:43 AM »
Any other thoughts for simple but effective, guys?  thx

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2004, 12:06:34 PM »
An A/D converter is an analog > digital conversion such as the UA-5
If you have a UA-5 you can run your mics and run rca to rca  in from the board, just make sure
your level from the board is not too high.
       just an option
 I've heard the samson mix pad can do the same and is fairly cheap on ebay.
 what rig are you running?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 12:09:48 PM by Tye »
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2004, 12:08:32 PM »
Delay would be fairly insignificant onstage, and probably the optimal taping location solution, but depends heavily on the type of band/music and their setup too.

You don't want crowd noise. You want a good mix of the board and mic mix. Sure, crowd noise will come with the mic's but you don't want mics just to record the crowd.

A/D = Analog > Digital convertor.

What are you recording with? That is prolly the first thing that should be asked.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2004, 12:19:57 PM »
An A/D converter is an analog > digital conversion such as the UA-5
If you have a UA-5 you can run your mics and run rca to rca  in from the board, just make sure
your level from the board is not too high.
       just an option
 I've heard the samson mix pad can do the same and is fairly cheap on ebay.
 what rig are you running?

Haven't got the rig yet - what I had was too low tech.  I will check, but any ideas of cost on the UA-5?

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2004, 12:23:33 PM »
You don't want crowd noise. You want a good mix of the board and mic mix. Sure, crowd noise will come with the mic's but you don't want mics just to record the crowd.

Why don't you want crowd noise, at least a bit to add ambiance/feel of the room?  - I really dislike the dry SBD mixes - I like shows that sound more like they typically do in an FM broadcast where you hear the hall and the audience to get a real live feel.

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2004, 12:43:06 PM »
A microphone rig WILL give ambience and also give you the 'crowd noise' you seek. You can then mix the board and mic source in post production...or as mentioned earlier run an 'on-the-fly' matrix with the UA-5.

Again, heavily dependant on your gear. What media are you wanting to record to? Mini-Disc? DAT? Laptop? Solid-state recorder?

I assume you have no gear at all? If not, then look to spend about $500 bare minimum.

FYI...you will need 2 recorders, unless you do the UA-5 option. One for the mics (also need pre-amp, cables, etc) and one for the board.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 12:46:23 PM by Shitters Full »
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Tye

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • No news is good gnews without Gary Gnu
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2004, 02:07:48 PM »
The cost differs for the UA-5 you have to have a digi mod UA-5 to run this application in the field ,you can get a stock UA-5 and do it yourself or buy one from oade.com and it is a little more $$$
I bought mine stock for under $250 and did the mod myself and it works fine.
 The modification is needed to run the rca inputs without being connected to a laptop.
Check the yard sale usually a digimod UA-5 pops up for not too much cash, however if that is too pricey for now check out the samson mixpad, I have not used it but heard it works good in this case.
Peluso cemc6/ck-21/ck-4 > Karma K10mp > Hydra's > Sound Devices MP-2> Buman T mod R4 - R9HR

Offline jaguaracer

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trading List
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2004, 04:55:20 PM »
If you are going to be doing this alot, or exclusively, I would recommend picking up omnidirectional (binaural) mics.  Rather that unidirectional (cardiod pattern), omnis pick up sound from nearly all over whereas cardiods are much more direct in their pick up of sound. If you put them on the stage, they will still pick up a fair bit of crowd noise. Will give a great environmental feel.
DC

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2004, 05:00:53 PM »
Here is a matrix i did with mics and sbd...and the UA5 mentioned...you can pick these up on ebay for under 200$ quite easily!

http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=11345
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline rvman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 05:02:40 PM »
You guys are a great help - I really appreciate it. 

I assumed I would have to do some sort of post, even if minimal. 

There are companies that make a business out of recording live on site, but reading their info, it seems like their option is almost overload & would vertianly be very pricey!...

hexyjones

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 06:51:38 AM »
If you are going to be doing this alot, or exclusively, I would recommend picking up omnidirectional (binaural) mics.  Rather that unidirectional (cardiod pattern), omnis pick up sound from nearly all over whereas cardiods are much more direct in their pick up of sound. If you put them on the stage, they will still pick up a fair bit of crowd noise. Will give a great environmental feel.

Nitpick: omnidirectional and bianaural are unrealted concepts...one is mic pickup pattern...the other, a recording technique...

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2004, 12:32:54 PM »
The modification is needed to run the rca inputs without being connected to a laptop.

Not quite.  The digi-mod is needed to output a non-USB digital signal from the UA5 without a laptop connected.  Two digital outputs available:  optical S/PDIF via a toslink connector, coax S/PDIF via an RCA connector.  For more information on the UA5, check out the UA-5 FAQ in the Archival Info forum.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com