Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is considered the "sweet spot" for recording- stealth-no rigs  (Read 3076 times)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
i was wondering what is considered to be the best location for a venue to tape from if you are stealthing?

What do you guys look for to sit--what location would give you a good recording?

I know there are many type of venues--but in general what is considered " the sweet spot" thanks

thanks in advance

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
Re: What is considered the "sweet spot" for recording- stealth-no rigs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 06:52:23 PM »
triangulate---please i am a newbie--Moe could you please decipher?

thank you

Offline potsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 07:33:33 PM »
trianglulate=to make a triangle...2 of the points of the triangle are the speakers, and you are the third point.  place yourself so that all 3 sides of the triagle are even.
Sony D8 DAT, M-Audio Microtrack 2496 w/ 4GB Kingston Elite Pro 45x CF, Core-Sound Stealth Cardiods

Offline Teen Age Riot

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 11:43:57 AM »
^ what he said.

I make stack tapes most of the time I stealth. Using the omnidirectional DPA mics listed in your signature, you'll probably also want to get high sound pressure levels in order to drown out crowd noise and ambiance (espcially if the room/PA/sound engineer is not particularly great), so I would definitely try to be as up-front as possible. But do walk around and check out different spots. I find ear plugs extremely helpful, because to me, what I hear with ear plugs usually comes a lot closer to what the tape will sound like. And of course it's better for your hearing anyway.

Also, beware of the typical walk-through areas, close to the bar or the bathroom for example. It sucks to constantly have people tapping you on your shoulder because they're headed for the bar and you're blocking the way...

Offline redbook

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 07:49:26 AM »
You are a newbie who doesn't know what the typical sweet spot is and run DPAs4061 and 4022?  :o

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 08:24:13 AM »
You are a newbie who doesn't know what the typical sweet spot is and run DPAs4061 and 4022?  :o

DPA4061>mma6000>Edirol r-1
DPA4022>Deneke PS-2>2 Hosa MIT-176>Hosa YMP-137>Edirol r-1

that's a hell of a lot nicer than my first rig!!!  hell that's nicer than what I run now and I'm psyched with the quality of my recordings!

ugh...  It's only money right
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 09:40:53 AM »
wherever it sounds the best.

sml42

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 10:55:58 AM »
use the force (aka your ears) ?

walk around and LISTEN during the opener or during another show

What boogie said. I'll just add, get there early before the crowd, and you have free run of the venue and most time to walk around and find the sweet spot. As the crowd arrives and the venue fills up, the acoustics may change so be prepared to move around. But yeah, learn to trust your ears!

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 11:07:29 PM »
thanks to all that responded-yes I htink I have some nice rigs but doesnot mean i know how to use them to their full potential

much grats to all

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2005, 02:58:13 AM »

Since I mix concerts I would say near the sound engineer I do try and walk the room and make sure it sounds great everywhere but when I am mixing a busy show I do not have time. So the best over all mix is going to be where I am mixing from. If I have a good PA tech that walks the room and tells me what I need to change during the run of the show. And I am using a great sound system like a line array that has even coverage then the "magic triangle" is best.

i was wondering what is considered to be the best location for a venue to tape from if you are stealthing?

What do you guys look for to sit--what location would give you a good recording?

I know there are many type of venues--but in general what is considered " the sweet spot" thanks

thanks in advance

nameloc01

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2005, 07:28:41 PM »
a safe general "rule of thumb" is in front of the sound booth.most of the time they will have it set up where it sounds good to the sound guys.obviously there are always exceptions,so like said in an earlier reply,it is a good idea to check out the venue during the opening band.if you are stealthing keep your mics up as high as you can(safe from detection) like clipped to a hat

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com