Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Another 4 mic question. Opinions wanted  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
Another 4 mic question. Opinions wanted
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:27:52 PM »
Howdy all.  I'm gonna roll for Zero tommorrow night at The Crystal Ballroom in Portland, OR.  I have a V3 and a pair of 483's on loan.  Was gonna run them ORTF or DIN.  Was thinking of running the 414's either blum or M/S.  So blum is both figure 8 right?  And on MS which mic do I use as the right and left.  (Same with blum) Which points forward and to the side?  The upper or lower.  Was thinking of trying the MS switch on the v2 but not real sure how it works.  Also want opinions on which you all think I should run.  Blum or ms.  And in blum or ms on my bar the caps are about 2 inches apart but with the screens on they bump up against each other.  Should I separate the mics more?  Keep in mind the Crystal Ballroom floor bounces.  It's on springs.  Wasn't sure if the screens touching would be in issue.  And they are snug...not just barely touching.  Thanks for the space.  Ciao.

Offline Shawn

• is old and tired
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: Another 4 mic question. Opinions wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 05:33:33 PM »
for blumlein you basically are running 2 fig 8 mics in x-y, so one doesn't point forward and the other to the side. If you drew a line perpendicular to the stage you would want both mics to intersect that line at a 45 degree angle just like when you run x-y.  it doesn't matter if the upper to the right or the left it just matters that one points right and the other points left. you also want the caps as close together as possible. screens touching isn't an issue as far as I know.

I'm not sure about running mid-side with the v2. I'm sure someone else can help with that.

I've never been to the crystal ballroom, but if it has decent acoustics and if your 414's have the sub card pattern I'd consider split sub cards with those with the 483's in xy directly in the middle. just a suggesstion.

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:57:05 PM »
For 414s m/s, I use the left channel for the mid mic and the right channel for the side mic, and I orient the front of the side mic to the left.  Then decode in post since you're rolling to an R-04.  There should be a couple other threads somewhere on the TS here about how to set up m/s with LD mics.

I pulled a 4 mic mix with my 414s m/s and flanking cards which came out pretty damn good.  You can check it out here: http://www.archive.org/details/xr2006-08-02.akg414-451matrix.flac16

Team AKG!

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 06:01:44 PM »
Mark, you've got the V2 with the MS-mod switch on the front right?  If you engage that switch, the v2 will sum the left (mid) and right (side) channels and output the MS signal.  Pumping the left gain will increase the 'mid' information across both (output)channels.  Pumping the right gain will increase the 'side (or width)' information (i.e. the fig-8 mic).  However, if you run the v2 as normal, then you end up with your regular discrete left and right channels....that way you can use your editing software to adjust the 'mid/width' after the fact.  Most people recommend the latter as it can be difficult to monitor the recording accurately in a live setting. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:06:08 PM by AudBall »
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 12:09:34 AM »
Mark,

Run the 414's M/S. Its too far back in that chatterbox to run blumlein. Blumlein  may work but it totally depends on the crowd in there.
Gonna be a big section for Zero tomorrow.
See you there
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com