Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: And the hits keep coming...  (Read 4847 times)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
And the hits keep coming...
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:25:44 PM »
Ah yes, adventures in taping.
I've discovered the $22 cable I thought was good quality apparently isn't It must have shorts in the connectors because when I hook up my rig, I get no levels unless I jiggle and move the cable just right. And yeah, I've tested everything else and all jacks were properly seated. I used to ol' elimination technique. I've had this cable about three months.  :P

And yeah, drinking too much beer can ruin a recording. Almost.

I was recording a local band Saturday at a new bar to scope it out for another show later in the month. My son was videotaping and I bought a pitcher of beer to last me the night.

Everything was cool at first, recorded two sets with no problem. Then a couple guys got up in an impromptu jam thing and I thought I'd set the R-09 to start again. I checked the levels and it looked good. Suddenly, the levels started to drop very low (the music was loud at this point) and I started to freak 'cause it's never happened. My STC-9000 light was strong and I had not idea what was going on. So during a break, I pulled the cable from the amp and went mic in. Everything looked fine after that.

Of course, I discovered later that I had failed to hit record and apparently was playing a previous file and watching levels that had already been recorded.  :banging head: At least I got all of the band's sets, which was OK.

This is almost as fun as having a boat and waiting for all the fun things to happen on the water, like breaking down, running out of gas just short of the marina and forgetting to put the plug in. Yeah, I've done those too!   ;D ::)
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: And the hits keep coming...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 11:36:48 PM »
Hahaha!  Good stories!  Sorry it happened, but Adventures in Taping stories are always fun to read.

For me, I once put a AA into my battery pack the wrong way and melted the whole thing 5min. before Sonic Youth walked on stage...  Missed a fantastic show, and made the upgrade to WalMart Battery the next week...

And I get too drunk all the time...  I've left my clamp on the pole at the pour house plenty of times...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 11:49:25 PM »
I see it as working out the kinks early. :P Trial and error ::) As long as I learn from my mistakes, it's all good.  ;D
I mean, in most cases, where I live, I can set my stuff up and stick close and there's no problems. At least I realized what happened and I'm not still scratching my head or calling Chris Church to ask him why my amp acted crazy (driver error :-X).

I forgot to mention, I hit pause and replaced the battery and it continued, that's when I switched to mic in. I later realized what I was doing and just left the mic in to see how it would sound. Not bad actually. I got home and tested the batteries and the one in the pre was better then the "new" one. Then I remembered what happened!  But hey, the draft Killians was $8 for a pitcher!  :P

Stay tuned, I'll probably have more "mis-adventures in taping" as I go forward. rWc3523 :headphones:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:08:52 AM by russ3523 »
Edirol UA-5

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 11:56:35 PM »
 (Stay tunes, I'll probably have more "mis-adventures in taping" as I go forward. rWc3523 )

why prog mind set for do it again ??

ps-dont want to know

g
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:58:30 PM by boyacrobat »

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 12:04:50 AM »
Well, that's one way to get more music on a tape... sort of! ;D

Batteries weren't an issue this time. We had an outlet and power strip so that was one thing that wasn't going to go wrong.

I did take your advice and drained some batteries. Will have to do that to the rest of them now. If nothing else, I will be keeping a closer eye on them and changing them before that crucial set.  Thanks for the advice!  rWc3523 :headphones:
Edirol UA-5

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 12:07:15 AM »
Acrobat, I'm not preprogramming, but I know that things can/will eventually happen. Actually, I taped a week before that and didn't have any issues, except the f'd up cable. The sound in the bar was poor, but it was the first time taping there. The sound was poor and so was my recording. The recordings of the band the other night came out pretty good. Luckily, my little "issue" happened during a little musical break. I would have liked to have had it, but it was no great loss!  rWc3523 :headphones:
Edirol UA-5

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:14:37 AM »
hehehe.. mis-adventures in taping..  we've had them all..

smark.. if you read this thread, you should tell the story of your infinite loop!     :lol:
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:26:39 AM »
happy captures russ3523

g

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 02:11:20 AM »

Of course, I discovered later that I had failed to hit record and apparently was playing a previous file and watching levels that had already been recorded.  :banging head: At least I got all of the band's sets, which was OK.

heres one that you'll hopefully never get to experience,...
flipping the same cassette,.... twice (the infamous three-sided cassette) :slaps forehead:

lol, some funny stuff there!! :lol:   I remember one time at the Louisville Palace for SCI clamping my mics and running the cables all the way over to the side of the aisle, and getting the laptop booted up and ready for the show. Then the lights went down, I hit record, and was getting no levels!!  :crazy:   

Well, after freaking out and fumbling around in the dark checking all my connections, I realized that it helps to have your mics plugged into your preamp.  :P    ;D   

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:12:53 AM by BC »
In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:12:11 AM »
Which cable, Russ

Joe

Offline MSTaper

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 10:15:37 AM »
Joe, NOT yours. The one you sent me is fine. This is a 15-foot cable I bought from Markertek, thick canare cable with nice (I assumed) male and female ends. It worked fine but now there's a short or something. I hooked up the rig with just the green cable, jiggled it a bit and no problems whatsoever. :D  At the last show I could put my bag on a bar by my stand so I didn't need it. It's really frustrating. rWc3523 :headphones:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 10:26:18 AM by russ3523 »
Edirol UA-5

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 10:18:20 AM »
heres one that you'll hopefully never get to experience,...
flipping the same cassette,.... twice (the infamous three-sided cassette) :slaps forehead:
yea that still stings me.
One of the first mistakes I ever made :(
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline KLowe

• Trade Count: (5)
  • CrossFit....check you ego at the door
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
My version.....running 4 channels of On-stage Neumanns.  Channels 1&2 perfect....Channels 3&4 almost getting NO LEVELS.  At this point I'm Freaking out testing every conceivable connection, cable, double checking everything... since it was onstage the band (Dubconcious) is looking at me like WTF?  Finally I just give up and am happy with the two working channels.  Get home DETERMINED to find out what the deal was......... It helps to turn phantom power on.

Did this multiple times back in the UA-5 days.  You would think that I've learned my lesson.  Not yet apparently.

Good times.
I actually work for a living with music, instead of you jerk offs who wish they did.

bwaaaahahahahahaha.... that is awesome!

Offline silentmark

• Shine with or without cherries ?
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Boat, cucumber, wire ...
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »
hehehe.. mis-adventures in taping..  we've had them all..

smark.. if you read this thread, you should tell the story of your infinite loop!     :lol:

LOL, you mean when I was with CraigT at the Zero show during the Green Apple festival in NYC and I had the bad cable from the sax to the modSBM1. Well I was abit loaded and as "luck" would have it I actually had extra pair of xlr>rca's to swap out, all during a break in the first set. Somehow  ::) I ended up plugging the existing xlr>xlr cables in the in's AND out's of the sax, thus creating the infinite loop  ;D. WTF is happening ? Why am I getting no power ? Dammit I'm running out of time during this tuning and I can't figure out what the issue is. Well Craig was so kind to point out the fact that I plugged the sax into itself, lol, funny stuff and lesson learned, don't get so loaded while recording  8)
Dissent is the highest form of patriotism. - Howard Zinn, not Thomas Jefferson ...

Mics: Neumann AK50/AK40/AK30/AK20(1 for M/S), AKG568eb's (gathering dust)
Decks: R-44 (OCM), Fostex FR2LE (OWM), Microtacker (semi-retired), D8 (retired), D7 (retired)
Pre-amps: Apogee Minime (semi-retired), Sonosax SX-M2 (semi-retired), Oade mod SBM-1 (retired)
Cables: LC3 actives (older lemo style x2), Audio Magic Hyper Conductor interconnects

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3qrWOOposQ

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »
Send your cable this way, and I'll repair it.  Or send both cables and I can put the smaller plug on the longer so you wouldn't need the "adapter" cable.  Same overpriced charges as before!

Joe

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com