Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-1 input volume question  (Read 2477 times)

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Qualified
R-1 input volume question
« on: February 16, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »
I tried finding a faq for the R-1 but was unsuccessful. Anyway, after a bit of searching I have found that there are different approaches to running the R-1 input volume wide open when using an external preamp. I have been much happier with the results of those recordings which the R-1 was set to 50% or lower and most of the gain came from the mp2. I remember with my old sbm-1 setup, it added no gain (only attenuation of the signal) so it was best to run with the input cranked as much as possible. Would the same be true for this situation? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: R-1 input volume question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 12:51:18 PM »
Can't someone send a known tone directly into the unit, then try different settings at known timecodes, and then review the wav in an editor? That should help figure out where unity is shouldn't it?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline pgoelz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:43:16 AM »
Please define "unity gain" in this context.  Just curious. 

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 09:55:15 AM »
larry, the main issue I had with your preference is that I was scared of brickwalling it.  Never happened though.  I used to run mma at unity, and control everything on the r-1.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline larrysellers

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Qualified
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 10:42:56 AM »
larry, the main issue I had with your preference is that I was scared of brickwalling it.  Never happened though.  I used to run mma at unity, and control everything on the r-1.

Thanks man. I will monitor the results and go from there.

Offline pgoelz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
Please define "unity gain" in this context.  Just curious. 

Paul
sure.
as i understand it "unity" is where the deck isn't adding or subtracting from, i.e. altering, the incoming signal. 
if that's not right hopefully someone else will clarify.
That's what I thought everyone meant.  So.... how does that apply to the input to a digital recorder?   Its input is in a totally different form than its "output".  The term "unity gain" doesn't seem to apply.  The only spec that seems appropriate is what input voltage results in a given recorded level at a given input "gain" setting.  The "gain" settings themselves are meaningless.  ??

Paul
Paul Goelz
Rochester Hills, MI USA
Music, model helis and astronomy website:
www.pgoelz.com

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 09:58:14 PM »
I use a denecke pre amp as you know it does not have gain control, so I have modifcation of my edirol r-1 with a 6 db gain.  so wehn i run the dpa 4022 with the denecke preamp I use the input on the r-1 about half way.  before the modification i had to put the input level all the way up and i still would not clip the sound.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com