Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: iRiver H120 Wall Power - What to get from Radio Shack??  (Read 2386 times)

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
iRiver H120 Wall Power - What to get from Radio Shack??
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:18:35 PM »
ok, i know there's replacement iriver ac adapters on ebay, but i'm in a bind and need to pick one up from radio shack tomorrow.

will this work (3-7.5v; 5v is selectable, and up to 2000mA)? or is there a better (cheaper?) option?

also, it says it includes adaptaplugs A, B, and H. will one of those work with the iriver?

TIA.
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline hyperplane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: iRiver H120 Wall Power - What to get from Radio Shack??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 07:49:56 PM »
That Power Adaptor should work, with the following provisos:

- You set the voltage to 5V
- You use the size H adaptaplug
- The polarity is correct. This is very important; if the polarity is incorrect, you will likely fry your iriver and it will be an expensive paperweight.

You need to use a multimeter to test the polarity.

To test the polarity, plug up the Power Adaptor to a wall outlet, and place the red "needle" from the multimeter on the inner part inside the tip of the adaptaplug, and the black "needle" on the outter part of the adaptaplug. It should read about 5V.

If the multimeter reads -5V, then you need to reverse the polarity of the Power Adaptor.

To reverse the polarity of the charger, you cut the Power Adaptor cable, and solder/crimp the inner wires to the opposite ones (e.g. solder/crimp the red wire from the adaptaplug end to the black wire of the outlet plug end, and vice versa). Then test the polarity again to make sure you have a solid connection and that the polarity is correct, wrap it up in electric tape or use heat shrink tubing, and you're all set.

* EDIT: for punctuation. *
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 07:52:23 PM by hyperplane »

Offline davepeck

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2006, 08:05:53 PM »
- The polarity is correct. This is very important; if the polarity is incorrect, you will likely fry your iriver and it will be an expensive paperweight.

You need to use a multimeter to test the polarity.

To test the polarity, plug up the Power Adaptor to a wall outlet, and place the red "needle" from the multimeter on the inner part inside the tip of the adaptaplug, and the black "needle" on the outter part of the adaptaplug. It should read about 5V.

If the multimeter reads -5V, then you need to reverse the polarity of the Power Adaptor.

To reverse the polarity of the charger, you cut the Power Adaptor cable, and solder/crimp the inner wires to the opposite ones (e.g. solder/crimp the red wire from the adaptaplug end to the black wire of the outlet plug end, and vice versa). Then test the polarity again to make sure you have a solid connection and that the polarity is correct, wrap it up in electric tape or use heat shrink tubing, and you're all set.

* EDIT: for punctuation. *

thanks! one question about the polarity -

last time i bought an ac adapter from RS, it had instructions on which way to line up the adaptaplug, depending on whether the unit read (-)--(o)--(+) or (+)--(o)--(-). is that the polarity? basically, what i'm asking is if your last paragraph is necessary, or will the proper alignment of the adaptaplug do the trick?

thanks again. +t

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 08:27:51 PM »
thanks! one question about the polarity -

last time i bought an ac adapter from RS, it had instructions on which way to line up the adaptaplug, depending on whether the unit read (-)--(o)--(+) or (+)--(o)--(-). is that the polarity? basically, what i'm asking is if your last paragraph is necessary, or will the proper alignment of the adaptaplug do the trick?

thanks again. +t

Ahhh, I did not know about that feature on AC adaptors from the Rat Shack.

If that's the case, then yes, that appears to be a much simpler/easier way to ensure proper polarity.

After hooking up the size H adaptaplug, I would still suggest plugging up the AC adaptor to a wall outlet, and using a multimeter to test it to make sure you've got its polarity correctly set up. (I'm paranoid about polarity with iriver charging cables, and test my cables about 5x before using them with an iriver.)

Offline whatboutbob

• Taperssection Member
  • A very happy chappy right now...
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 11:46:29 PM »
I cannot underline strongly enough that you do NOT want to get the polarity wrong.
Mics: Audix m1290's, AT943's (w/ AT853 C/O/H caps), AT853's
Power: PS-2, Homebrew 3wbb, SPSB-6
Pre/AD: UA-5 (BM2p+), CA-9100, AD-20
Recorder: iriver H120, H160

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 12:25:35 AM »
I cannot underline strongly enough that you do NOT want to get the polarity wrong.

Quote For Truth.

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 06:45:44 PM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=68553.msg963316#msg963316

Check that post out. I don't know if you have the 2 prong adapter but I got THIS.
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

Offline davepeck

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 09:38:48 AM »
SUCCESS with the plug i linked above from radioshack.. of course, being RS, there's a fun story to go along with it..

so i stop by RS on my way home from work yesterday. mind you, i need to pick up the power adapter, go home to change, and charge my iriver in the car on the way to a show.. i go right over to the power adapters, and i'm looking over them one by one, and i'm NOT seeing the one i saw on the website (figures).. within a minute, a helpful RS staff member is there to assist..

RS kid: can i help you find something?
davepeck: yeah, i'm looking for a power adapter that i saw on rs.com, that's selectable from 3-7.5v.
RS kid: (looks at shelf) hmm... here's some other ones..
davepeck: yeah, none of them have 5v selectable, which is what i need.
RS kid: hmm... this one has 4.5v.. and this one has 6v.. i guess we don't have it..
davepeck: uhhhh... is there a way you can check and see if you have any of the one on the website in the store??
RS kid: i'll check, but it would be out here if we did..

so i walk him through how to find the adapter on radioshack.com.. so he takes the item number and looks to see if they have any in the store..

RS kid: hmm... that's weird.. it says we have them in stock..

he walks BACK to the shelf, and continues to look there (we both know it's not there)..

davepeck: maybe you have them in back??
RS kid: hmm.. i'll check.. uh.. do you know what size tip you need, cause you'll need to know that.
davepeck: yeah, i need an H, and it comes with 3 different ones, including the H, so i'll be fine.. (oy...)

RS kid shows back up in about a minute with the adapter in hand.. GO FIGURE!!

i swear, getting hired at radioshack is like being selected for a jury.. in order to be picked, you must have NO prior knowledge of ANYTHING you're gonna be dealing with.. scary!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=68553.msg963316#msg963316

Check that post out. I don't know if you have the 2 prong adapter but I got THIS.

interesting.. i'll have to see if i still have my foreign adapter.. that will come in handy for a backup..

thanks again, everyone. +t's all around..

Audio | Video | Photo

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com