Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 722 spdif in?  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • large Marge sent me
722 spdif in?
« on: March 13, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »
Anyone used the 722 to transfer DATs via the SPDIF in?  Is there something that has to be configured to get it to work?

I'm seeing a wierdness.

The DAT tape is fine all the way through and the DA20 operates flawlessly.  The 722 locks to the SPDIF input signal and starts recording.  Then for no apparent reason and at random places, the 722 will enter a mode where the signal levels are off the chart.  The DA20 shows levels as expected and the 722 meter is pegged.  The attached image shows the wave I'm getting out of the 722.  The represented sample is quiet tuning before the first song.  The wild signal level is something being done by the 722.

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
Re: 722 spdif in?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 07:45:10 PM »
is it recording in 24-bit or 16-bit ???

maybe 24-bit is selected ???

looks REAL weird tho
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 12:32:20 AM »
I experienced similar symptoms related to an intermittent grounding problem with my PC/soundcard/DAT transfer setup, but when my levels pegged, they pegged all the way at 0 - flat! - and sounded like static.  Does the wavform you referenced in the attached image still sound like it should, only louder, or is there noise in the wavform when the levels spike?  It looks to me like the levels don't peg flat at 0, so it doesn't quite match my symptoms.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:12:25 AM »
Anyone used the 722 to transfer DATs via the SPDIF in?  Is there something that has to be configured to get it to work?

might be good to send a copy of this to the SD tech support? This quirk does not look good if you are feeding it a digi signal (such as from a V3).

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 10:31:42 AM »
Does the wavform you referenced in the attached image still sound like it should, only louder, or is there noise in the wavform when the levels spike? 

The waveform sounds like is should but louder, until it hits the rail and then you get the sound of clipping.  The displayed sample of the wave is very very quiet.  The part of the wave where he is playing is at 0db except for the rail to rail swing.  That part sounds like static.  I'll try a different cable and see what happens.  I use cardas coax cables and never had an issue, but I'm doing this though a coax/bnc converter so maybe that part is bad.

might be good to send a copy of this to the SD tech support? This quirk does not look good if you are feeding it a digi signal (such as from a V3).

I will but I want to eliminate pilot error as the cause before I send a service request.  I have not run this with the V3 in the field yet.  I played with it at home and didn't see this issue though the AES port.  On one trial the 722 went into this mode about 40 min into the transfer so it's possible that I didn't give it enough time.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 10:39:31 AM »
I'll try to duplicate it, but I don't have a deck. I'll use my soundcard or ULN-2 for the tests. One thing to try is to turn off the auto-select and manually choose the SPDIF input, if you haven't done this.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 10:56:06 AM »
Thanks Matt, I'll try disabling auto-select tonight.  I didn't think of that yet.

Offline wboswell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't call what you're wearing an outfit
    • Trey Woodruff on guitar
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 01:24:35 PM »

I will but I want to eliminate pilot error as the cause before I send a service request.  I have not run this with the V3 in the field yet.  I played with it at home and didn't see this issue though the AES port.  On one trial the 722 went into this mode about 40 min into the transfer so it's possible that I didn't give it enough time.

I've fed it a signal via s/pdif output of the V3 (to the 722 via bnc>rca adaptor) and it worked like a champ.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 06:22:20 PM »
One thing to try is to turn off the auto-select and manually choose the SPDIF input, if you haven't done this.

Just to follow up:

I also had a ton of dropouts in several recordings that I transfered via SPDIF. 

I finally got around to trying again.  After 1) disabling auto-select and 2) forcing the rate to 16/48, the transfers seem to be flawless.  I need to check the wave form but I monitored the entire transfer using headphones and there were no audible dropouts or level problems with the 722 since changing the settings.  So thanks Matt, I had forgotten that auto-select could be disabled.

Now this means that I have two operational configurations but the box only allows one saved user configuration. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.113 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com