Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 problem: loses left channel on line-in  (Read 2806 times)

Offline jkoch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
JB3 problem: loses left channel on line-in
« on: June 02, 2005, 03:06:35 AM »
for some reason my jb3 will intermittedly lose the left channel while running line in. it is fine on optical in and will be fine for 2/3 shows line in, but the one show it isn't it'll have like 5 minutes (in spurts) of an hour recording and the rest will be inaudible. any ideas? originally i thought it was if the plug moved on one set of cables, but then i used a different set and it worked fine and was moved a lot during one show, then it didn't move at all and 90% of the channel was missing using the same cable for the next show..
Schoeps MK4s > active cables > NBox+ > Edirol R-09HR

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: JB3 problem: loses left channel on line-in
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 03:56:31 AM »
Weird......possibly a dirty connection?  Have you tried reformatting or updating the firmware ever?  Is there some scratching or noise before the channel cuts out or does it just instantly happen?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline momule

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 04:08:21 AM »
still willing to bet this is your prob

[265] My stereo mini or optical mini connector doesn't quite fit properly in the female mini jack, what can I do?

Some users report poor results from stereo mini or optical mini connectors that don't quite fit properly in the female mini jack.  Low levels, mono signal, drop-outs, etc., may all be symptoms of this problem.  To ensure you don't have this problem, make sure your mini connector clicks firmly into the female mini jack.  Unless the mini connector clicks firmly into the female mini jack, you may encounter this problem in the field.  There are at least two solutions:

* Buy a different stereo or optical mini plug and see if it fits better
    * Use a Dremel or similar tool to sand down the plastic casing which prevents some mini connectors from seating properly in the female jack.  Thanks to David Klein for the directions paraphrased here (for David's complete set of directions with pictures, see http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/:
          o place a piece of masking tape over the female mini jack
          o put a tapered grinding tip on your Dremel
          o hold the NJB3 firmly and start to grind down the plastic
          o be careful not to grind the white input jack itself!
          o stop and use your finger to feel the ridge to tell when you're close to grinding the plastic flush with the face of the jack
          o clean off the NJB3
          o remove the masking tape
AKG 463's (uno ck62) > Mackie Onyx Satellite > Microtrack II

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 05:17:33 AM »
You don't even need a dremmel tool to do that mod, I used a razor blade and it took all of maybe 60 seconds to do.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 05:59:57 PM »
i would love for it to be that simple. this is happening with a plug i've used for 2 years that never needed the thing to be dremmeled. furthermore, it is dremmeled now.

still willing to bet this is your prob

[265] My stereo mini or optical mini connector doesn't quite fit properly in the female mini jack, what can I do?

Some users report poor results from stereo mini or optical mini connectors that don't quite fit properly in the female mini jack.  Low levels, mono signal, drop-outs, etc., may all be symptoms of this problem.  To ensure you don't have this problem, make sure your mini connector clicks firmly into the female mini jack.  Unless the mini connector clicks firmly into the female mini jack, you may encounter this problem in the field.  There are at least two solutions:

* Buy a different stereo or optical mini plug and see if it fits better
    * Use a Dremel or similar tool to sand down the plastic casing which prevents some mini connectors from seating properly in the female jack.  Thanks to David Klein for the directions paraphrased here (for David's complete set of directions with pictures, see http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/:
          o place a piece of masking tape over the female mini jack
          o put a tapered grinding tip on your Dremel
          o hold the NJB3 firmly and start to grind down the plastic
          o be careful not to grind the white input jack itself!
          o stop and use your finger to feel the ridge to tell when you're close to grinding the plastic flush with the face of the jack
          o clean off the NJB3
          o remove the masking tape

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 11:07:42 PM »
I'm unclear - were you able to duplicate the problem with a different set of cables?  I think so, but if not - check that first!  Otherwise, good advice already to clean all connectors.  And finally, the only original bit I have to offer in this thread, perhaps the mini input is coming loose from the board inside.  I know the optical connections have gone out due to that connection loosening up, so perhaps you're seeing the analog equivalent.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 03:37:58 AM »
I'm unclear - were you able to duplicate the problem with a different set of cables?  I think so, but if not - check that first!  Otherwise, good advice already to clean all connectors.  And finally, the only original bit I have to offer in this thread, perhaps the mini input is coming loose from the board inside.  I know the optical connections have gone out due to that connection loosening up, so perhaps you're seeing the analog equivalent.
how would i go about checking and perhaps fixing it if the connection to the board is messed up? this has happened with multiple cables and half the time it'll be fine, half the time it'll have no signal.

Offline neutrino

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • **Team Chicago**
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 07:06:33 AM »
how would i go about checking and perhaps fixing it if the connection to the board is messed up? this has happened with multiple cables and half the time it'll be fine, half the time it'll have no signal.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=43244.msg556371#msg556371
CA14/OM14 > A10
Sony SBM-1 Oade mod

Offline jkoch

• Taperssection Member
  • groovy!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 04:35:42 PM »
i saw that...but this isn't the optical problem. i know it's probably near the same thing, but anyone want to give me a shove in the right direction as to the differences regarding the analog part?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com