Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What do I need to properly mount some CA-11/CA-14 mics for open taping?  (Read 2587 times)

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
Most of my taping has been low-profile so far, but there have been several cases when I could have
taped more openly had I the gear. What's the proper way to mount a set of Church mics and what
equipment do I need? Any particular products recommended here?

thanks!

newb

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
"Need" becomes a pretty subjective word in this context.

I've flown my CA-11's and CA-14's on my ten foot stand countless times.  I've also taped them to pillars, stacks, walls, sconces, balconies, and coat-hangers.  I've dropped them from ceilings and light fixtures and clipped them onto light pieces of old gaffers tape dangling from AC ducts.  If yo don't have a stand, get clips, string, and tape and you *should* be okay.  If you do have a stand, be sure that you fab. yourself sort sort of shockmount.  I remember once someone posted a picture of a sock mount they made for some small CA type mics-- it consisted of two playing cards taped onto the stand projecting outward.  The lightweight microphones clipped onto the playing cards.  I've noticed that tons of sound transfers through my stand, so for me, employing some sort of sound absorbing device between the stand and the mics is absolutely compulsory.

What sort of event are you going to?  At what type of venue?

EDIT to add: be sure to bring some extentions too-- in my experience, the 6' isn't nearly long enough for many set ups
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 01:33:57 AM by travelinbeat »
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline ScotK

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
No- I don't have a stand, but I'm thinking that's what I'd like. Something I can travel with, too, preferably.

Venues I'm thinking of are outdoor festivals and concerts that happen locally and small/medium clubs
where open taping is allowed.  I'm thinking of a stand of some sort with whatever fixtures I need to
attach the mics at the right angles and separations.  Stands, extensions, spreader bars, adapters,
risers, shock mounts- just not sure exactly what the shopping list is.

The rest of my chain is Church 9100s into either an R09 or a Korg MR-1, or both (always like to have a backup).

thanks,
scot
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 04:00:09 AM by ScotK »

Offline greggorypeccary

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie

I've flown my CA-11's and CA-14's on my ten foot stand countless times.  I've also taped them to pillars, stacks, walls, sconces, balconies, and coat-hangers.  I've dropped them from ceilings and light fixtures and clipped them onto light pieces of old gaffers tape dangling from AC ducts.  If yo don't have a stand, get clips, string, and tape and you *should* be okay.  If you do have a stand, be sure that you fab. yourself sort sort of shockmount.  I remember once someone posted a picture of a sock mount they made for some small CA type mics-- it consisted of two playing cards taped onto the stand projecting outward.  The lightweight microphones clipped onto the playing cards.  I've noticed that tons of sound transfers through my stand, so for me, employing some sort of sound absorbing device between the stand and the mics is absolutely compulsory.

Dude, you're like McGiver!!!

Offline travelinbeat

No- I don't have a stand, but I'm thinking that's what I'd like. Something I can travel with, too, preferably.

Venues I'm thinking of are outdoor festivals and concerts that happen locally and small/medium clubs
where open taping is allowed.  I'm thinking of a stand of some sort with whatever fixtures I need to
attach the mics at the right angles and separations.  Stands, extensions, spreader bars, adapters,
risers, shock mounts- just not sure exactly what the shopping list is.

The rest of my chain is Church 9100s into either an R09 or a Korg MR-1, or both (always like to have a backup).

thanks,
scot

Looks like you have a very similar set up to what I've used.  I purchased my 10' stand a year or two ago and haven't looked back.  Like you, I do mostly stealth (like 90%), so for the most part, my stand goes unused.  But it has given me tons of motivation to seek out the taping policies of bands that I never thought would go for taping (like The Faint-- who knew that they'd ever be cool with flying mics??).  I've seen a couple used stands in the Yard Sale recently, mostly 8 footers.  I think that that's what most people use.  From there, there is a bit of gear you may need to go on top of the stand-- like bars and stuff.  I have links on my computer in the dorm, I'll post'em when I get back.  The toughest part about mic stands with CA mics is the shock aspect.  I mentioned the playing card technique.  I'd encourage you just to brainstorm a bit.  The mics are light enough that you can easily get by without spending $100 on Shure shockmounts designed for full sized microphones.  As far as spacers go, I think most people only use them when their mics would knock into eachother during specific configurations (like if you're mics are too long to run a DIN config, you'll need to lift one up, to keep their butts from knocking into one another). 

Anyways, links coming soon.  Think up some shockmounts you can make.
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Offline travelinbeat

This is the link I mentioned that has tons of good accessories for stands:

http://www.micsupply.com/standaccessories.htm

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
I ran CA-11 cards with clips and CA-14 omnis Friday night at an outdoor festival. I made a flat bar on Friday from a 1-1/4" x 1/4" aluminum bar stock.

For the omnis, I drilled 3/8" holes 18" apart and cut a slot to the holes. Then I cut the tips off of two caulking tubes and cut a slit in the side of them. I placed the mics in the tube tips and pushed them down in the holes. Worked great.

The clips on the CA-11s would not clip to the bar, so I took some .062 sheet and cut a couple of rectangular tabs and glued them to the bar. I marked the tabs for ORTF angle and spacing and clipped to them.

For the mic stand, I used a 12 foot painter's extension pole. I made a 3/4" hole in the center of the bar and cut the end off of an old paint roller to make a nut to secure the bar to the pole. Then I duct-taped the stand to camp chair. I used a gorilla pod to attach my PCM D50 to the pole.This allowed me avoid using an extension cable on that rig. It seemed sturdy enough but if there had been any wind, I would have sat in the chair to weight it down.

The recordings turned out great. I plan on buying a stand with legs, but I also plan to keep using my "ghetto rig" as well. I will try to post pics when I can.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline travelinbeat

:o

Let's see some pictures of THAT beast!!!

+T on the DIY dedication!

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Poohbah!
My X-Y rig, or turn it around and you get a 90 degree angle. I've never had a problem with shocks through the pole with this rig. You can get all the parts at Home Depot, Lowes or your neighborhood hardware store.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com