Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)  (Read 16638 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)
« on: March 25, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Is anybody else so impressed with the Church Audio CA-14 mics that they're considering selling their entire fleet of high dollar gear and dropping back to Chris's stuff at a TINY fraction of the cost, but without hardly any sacrifice in sound quality? 

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Is Anybody Else...? (Church Audio content)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:25:02 PM »
I hope so :)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:59:10 PM »
I got an unexpected $1,000 a couple of months ago and I was thinking of upgrading to an FR2LE and a set of Busman mics, but after some thought and listening I didn't think that would be enough of an upgrade to justify the cost.  I also love the small size and easy setup of the Church Audio mics and preamp, not to mention the fact that they use batteries that you can purchase anywhere in the world if necessary.  The only way that I'll leave Team Church is if I hit the lottery and can afford a DPA 4028 > V3 > 744t rig....but that's not gonna happen.  I'm happy enough with the results that I get from my Church Audio products that I'll stick with 'em until Mr. Church introduces some new stuff. 

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 01:37:30 PM »
I am happy with the CA-14's and the 9100 *currently upgrading to the 4.0* but don't think I am ready to unload the rig in my sig just yet.  I like a lot of options.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline heyitsmejess

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »
havent used the ca14 cards, but the omnis made me feel funny DOWN THERE....
cause we zig and zag between good and bad
stumble and fall on right and wrong

http://www.rumpkemountainboys.org/

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 08:40:42 PM »
wishing Chris would answer PMs about items he has listed in the yard sale?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
wishing Chris would answer PMs about items he has listed in the yard sale?

I have something listed in the yardsale? ask away.

Chris

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:26:34 AM »
< removed post so as not to derail this thread  -  question asked in correct thread >
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:14:54 AM by flipp »

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
Is anybody else so impressed with the Church Audio CA-14 mics that they're considering selling their entire fleet of high dollar gear and dropping back to Chris's stuff at a TINY fraction of the cost, but without hardly any sacrifice in sound quality? 

Just wondering if I'm the only one.

I once had myself convinced that consumer priced directional electrets could compete with consumer priced directional SDC's...    I was never happy with the bass response of the electrets.
I prefer the size and convienece of an electret rig, but I just couldn't get the sub 100hz response that I was looking for.    I got damn close running 853->9100->Oade warm SBM-1->iriver.   still the lowest octaves just didn't have enough ballz. 

Comparing the lowend of my  At4050, peluso's, nt6s or even my $99 a pair Karma K10 to any of the many electrets I have owned,  the difference in bass is remarkable.

If I was only using onmi directional mics, I would be running CA-14->9100->MR-1
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »
The 853s are actually considered condensers.
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 02:29:22 AM »
The 853s are actually considered condensers.

All of the mics mentioned are condenser mics :) Electret condenser mics. A true capacitor mic has a polarizing voltage applied to the diaphragm and does not have a permanent charge on its diaphragm.

Offline beeco

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Copyright 2008, a production of Camp Totally Lit
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:10:38 PM »
Friday and Saturday I taped 2 shows with my "big" rig - ADK TLs>Wendt X2>R-09HR.  Those tapes sound great, although I was in a noisy bar.  It took me and two friends to block the drunks stumbling around the mic stand, however. 

Last night I taped Brett Dennen with my "low profile" set up - CA14s(cards,DIN)>CA-9100(v3.1)>R-09HR.  It was also in a noisy bar, but there's just no way to run a mic stand there (had my home-made Wonk bar clamped to a pole at the SBD).  Last night's tape is also a great sounding recording, and has plenty of bass (maybe too much). 

Bottom line is that I'm super happy with both set-ups.  The Church Audio gear makes an amazingly impressive recording, and even my taper buddies won't easily be able to tell the difference between the rigs. 

While I'm not ready to sell the large mics and "full-size" pre, there's absolutely no way I'd sell the Church Audio gear EVER (unless it was to upgrade to new Church Audio gear). 

Now you see it:  ADK 51TL,  or MK4/41>KC5>CMC6, or AT4051b/4049a > Wendt X2 > R-09HR
Now you don't:   CA-14c  or DPA4061 > CA ST-9100 > R-09HR

"Wait a minute, this sounds like rock and or roll!" Reverend Lovejoy

Offline grtphl

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • deadheadynugs
    • Free Live Music Archive - daja@dayjay
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 12:15:13 PM »
...but don't think I am ready to unload the rig in my sig just yet.  I like a lot of options. [Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T-mod)]
I like your style.

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »
Friday and Saturday I taped 2 shows with my "big" rig - ADK TLs>Wendt X2>R-09HR.  Those tapes sound great, although I was in a noisy bar.  It took me and two friends to block the drunks stumbling around the mic stand, however. 

Last night I taped Brett Dennen with my "low profile" set up - CA14s(cards,DIN)>CA-9100(v3.1)>R-09HR.  It was also in a noisy bar, but there's just no way to run a mic stand there (had my home-made Wonk bar clamped to a pole at the SBD).  Last night's tape is also a great sounding recording, and has plenty of bass (maybe too much). 

Bottom line is that I'm super happy with both set-ups.  The Church Audio gear makes an amazingly impressive recording, and even my taper buddies won't easily be able to tell the difference between the rigs. 

While I'm not ready to sell the large mics and "full-size" pre, there's absolutely no way I'd sell the Church Audio gear EVER (unless it was to upgrade to new Church Audio gear). 

We're sluts.  I think that's the bottom line!

The taper slut in me loves having multiple patterns, big dollars invested, and pretty lights. 

When I listen to these CA-14 recordings though, there's simply NO WAY I can use logic to justify that I have well over ten times the cost of a CA-14 rig invested in my rig, when the incremental sound improvement of my rig is only a marginal improvement of what the CA-14s deliver...IMHO. 

Still, I'm a slut and I love my current rig, so I don't know that it makes a difference to me now, but if financial pressure ever mounts, there's no doubt which direction I'll turn. 

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »

We're sluts.  I think that's the bottom line!

The taper slut in me loves having multiple patterns, big dollars invested, and pretty lights. 

When I listen to these CA-14 recordings though, there's simply NO WAY I can use logic to justify that I have well over ten times the cost of a CA-14 rig invested in my rig, when the incremental sound improvement of my rig is only a marginal improvement of what the CA-14s deliver...IMHO. 

Still, I'm a slut and I love my current rig, so I don't know that it makes a difference to me now, but if financial pressure ever mounts, there's no doubt which direction I'll turn. 

I really cant say thank you enough for the kind words really. I appreciate it big time. Its been hard for me too these financial times are hard right now but I have always felt like I have been very well supported here and consider my self very fortunate to be so accepted. Thanks again.

One thing I want to say is there are lots of good mics out there besides mine. Placement and the sound of the venue will always be the number one cause of a good recording.. gear will always be the number two cause.

Chris

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com