Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which version of the song sounds better? 1 or 2

1 sounds better
9 (60%)
2 sounds better
4 (26.7%)
they sound about the same
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Nbox/CMR Comp  (Read 23089 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nbox/CMR Comp
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
Preferences don't really concern me (for the record, I preferred #1 when EQ'ed to be comparable to #2 over #2, otherwise, the highs while audio candy wear off after a while . . . go figure . . . but I know a lot of people are opposed to EQ.  Sorry, I'm a studio guy!)The issue is to what degree do various solutions realize the specification listed by Schoeps for a given capsule?  If we take the CMC as the standard, then CMR/tinybox (or another amp) and nbox can be technically compared.  Schoeps has already stated a 4dB loss in sensitivity for the CMR.  Is there any other change?

Actually, I think your statement perhaps sheds some light on what some of the more passionate debate has been about...I don't really think that some people feel that your statement is 'the issue' at all.   I think they're evaluating holistically based on what their ears are telling them they like and aren't all that concerned about what the data shows, where clearly that's what others are basing their discussion off of.  This thread has morphed into more of a discussion based on analytical data.  However, Ed's thread started as simply a 'which sounds better' poll and there were votes for all three choices...which kinda says to me means that both options are totally credible.

I don't make this statement to stoke any smoldering cinders...only to point out that there might be some apples and oranges elements to the several pages of argument/debate in this thread.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 09:11:39 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2010, 09:04:29 PM »
Actually, I think your statement perhaps sheds some light on what some of the more passionate debate has been about...I don't really think that some people feel that your statement is 'the issue' at all.   I think they're evaluating holistically based on what their ears are telling them they like and aren't all that concerned about what the data shows, where clearly that's what others are basing their discussion off of.  After all, Ed's thread started as simply a 'which sounds better' poll and there were votes for all three choices.

Specs mean nothing when stuff sounds bad.  The microtrack had amazing specs - better than the 722.

And on specs, we already know the original published cmr specs were exaggerated when schoeps was unable to hit the original performance targets.  Though if measured frequency response is off by 3dB, it may be more like arguing apples and rotten apples.

More comps will tell..

Offline Big Perm

• Trade Count: (67)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Rage, Rest, work a lot, Repeat
« Reply #77 on: August 01, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »
here is an example of what the CMR>PFA can do; NOT A COMPARISON, but i would not call it rotten apples  :P

SOURCE: schoeps mk41 (DINa)> CMR> Naiant PFA> Oade m248> SD 722

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=537357

a
Mics: Schoeps mk4v| mk41v | mk22 | mk8 & mk5 (m/s)
         Schoeps m222> nt222dc (x2)
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         Schoeps KCY 250/5 IG (x2) Schoeps KC 5g (x2)
         DPA 4015c
Pre’s: Sonosax SX-M2D2
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2
Recorder: Sonosax sx-r4+, SD702, Sony m10

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #78 on: August 01, 2010, 09:54:20 PM »
Adam

How about upload a small sample. Don't need 1.8 gigs to check out what it sounds like.

I'll be back from GOTV monday night. I did a comp this morning for the first group
Harlem Gospel Choir. Ran a pair of mk-41's, both pointed at the same stack an inch apart
into an Edirol R-44, one channel CMR>PFA, one channel KC5>CMC6. I took pics of the setup
i'll post too, so you can see what the config looks like. I haven't listened to them yet.
Should be interesting.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #79 on: August 01, 2010, 10:06:17 PM »
Adam

How about upload a small sample. Don't need 1.8 gigs to check out what it sounds like.

I'll be back from GOTV monday night. I did a comp this morning for the first group
Harlem Gospel Choir. Ran a pair of mk-41's, both pointed at the same stack an inch apart
into an Edirol R-44, one channel CMR>PFA, one channel KC5>CMC6. I took pics of the setup
i'll post too, so you can see what the config looks like. I haven't listened to them yet.
Should be interesting.
i like this
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2010, 08:12:36 AM »
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »
Perhaps someone can compare the two in a more controlled environment. Mudslinging will only make this 25+ pages with little to actually offer. :P ;D

I'm a happy customer of both Nick and Robb and absolutely do not choose sides here.

all we need is someone with a 680: cmc6, nbox, cmr    would love to see that happen.

Offline Big Perm

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2010, 11:53:43 AM »
I have a DR-680 & CMR's, I am doing Deer Creek and Alpine Valley (Phish) with John W. who has an Nbox (we both have mk41's).  If someone will let me borrow their CMC6's & KC5's  I can do this comp.  I use a KCY cable with the vms5u, so I have no bodies at the moment..sorry (we do have 8 channels to play with if we wanted to throw the KCY comp in there as well...the only problem in that the 7 & 8th channel are the digital in, so the A/D processing would be coming from a SD 722 instead of being done by the dr-680... dont know how good of a comp that would be)

anyone want to help make this happen

a
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:20:39 PM by Big Perm »
         Schoeps cmc 1k (x2)
         Schoeps vst62iu (x2)
         DPA 4015c
         Aeta PSP-3
         E.A.A. PSP-2

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

On the contrary, you cast the first stone...I won't waste my time going through threads of you bashing and talking shit about the Nbox..you better get some thicker skin if you think you have come up with the best way to run the schoeps guy..Who died and made you the resident CMR pusher anyhow...I have over 50 Nbox rigs out there makin hot recordings and that is what makes me happy...what do you get out of putting a 5 pin connector on some schoeps CMR's?  You want me to stop takin shots..Stop comparing the CMR's to the Nbox as it is obvious that the CMR's are an inferior way to run schoeps caps...period!
"these CMR's were designed for some lame wireless transmitter" how does this imply anger?  I didn't say CMR's were lame..I said wireless transmitters are lame.

you both need to simmer down...both the Nbox and the CMR>tinybox would get blown away in a comp with the VST62ui>Aerco.....just sayin'

Just like everyone has a favorite brand of mics they prefer, some prefer different setups with the SAME mic over another setup. To each his own

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2010, 09:34:06 PM »

On the contrary, you cast the first stone...I won't waste my time going through threads of you bashing and talking shit about the Nbox..you better get some thicker skin if you think you have come up with the best way to run the schoeps guy..Who died and made you the resident CMR pusher anyhow...I have over 50 Nbox rigs out there makin hot recordings and that is what makes me happy...what do you get out of putting a 5 pin connector on some schoeps CMR's?  You want me to stop takin shots..Stop comparing the CMR's to the Nbox as it is obvious that the CMR's are an inferior way to run schoeps caps...period!
"these CMR's were designed for some lame wireless transmitter" how does this imply anger?  I didn't say CMR's were lame..I said wireless transmitters are lame.

you both need to simmer down...both the Nbox and the CMR>tinybox would get blown away in a comp with the VST62ui>Aerco.....just sayin'

Just like everyone has a favorite brand of mics they prefer, some prefer different setups with the SAME mic over another setup. To each his own

Well said.......
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

So are you offering you VSTui>Aerco to use for a comp??  If not I think you are a bit late to the discussion..And really have nothing to contribute otherwise :P

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
While I agree with the sentiment that people are aware enough to decide on their own what they like, both of the 'combatants' have already called a truce and there's been a beer summit, so simmering is no longer necessary.   ;D

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2010, 09:42:13 PM »

So are you offering you VSTui>Aerco to use for a comp??  If not I think you are a bit late to the discussion..And really have nothing to contribute otherwise :P

Oh Nicky, you know it would make my day one night for you to actually WANT to use my rig..any time, any place.

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55:17 PM »

Oh Nicky, you know it would make my day one night for you to actually WANT to use my rig..any time, any place.

I rufuse to use your Aerco...It's tainted ;D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2010, 05:11:30 AM »
The question of lower capsule polarization (60v from CMC6/NBox v. 48v from Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 and now v. whatever the CMR provides) gets raised fairly regularly, including in this thread, often touted as a reason one system is "superior" to another.  I've already linked to Schoeps' response regarding 48v v. 60v capsule polarization earlier in this thread.  Here's a supporting comment regarding the impact of lower polarization voltage from one of our most knowledgeable TSers:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137997.msg1790433#msg1790433
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.118 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com