Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which mics would you preffer for metal taping?

DPA 4061
26 (76.5%)
SP-CMC-8
8 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Stealthing very loud metal shows...extended from Team EVIL  (Read 22768 times)

Offline KingReptile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
Re: Stealthing very loud metal shows...extended from Team EVIL
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2004, 03:02:36 PM »
My friend and I taped Satriani and Deep Purple this past summer.I would say the Dpa 4061"s were better a bit more detailed mainly the cymbals come in better..With the 853s if you dont run phantom power they dont stand a chance of even comparing to the the 4061's..Hopefully we will both share are shows soon on Easytree so you guys can compare the differences..I used to run Core Sound Binarauls and have to say the one great thing about the Dpas is that even at a distance you will get real good results :)..I have posted numerous shows that I taped with the 4061's .Heres my list if anybody wants to hear what they sound like mostly interetested in Dat Clones at the Moment but will torrent most of my shows...http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/kingreptiles_masters.htm

Offline kfrinkle

• Needs to get out more...
    • Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2004, 04:01:32 PM »
what about the 4061's?  will they work fine with just bat box power?  I am thinking more along the lines of anyhting that i could use for upcoming tool tour...  has to be small, and bringing smoe honky ass metal thing to power mics just aint gonna cut it...  im too freaking nervous in the first place...

My friend and I taped Satriani and Deep Purple this past summer.I would say the Dpa 4061"s were better a bit more detailed mainly the cymbals come in better..With the 853s if you dont run phantom power they dont stand a chance of even comparing to the the 4061's..Hopefully we will both share are shows soon on Easytree so you guys can compare the differences..I used to run Core Sound Binarauls and have to say the one great thing about the Dpas is that even at a distance you will get real good results :)..I have posted numerous shows that I taped with the 4061's .Heres my list if anybody wants to hear what they sound like mostly interetested in Dat Clones at the Moment but will torrent most of my shows...http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/kingreptiles_masters.htm
-Karl
MBHO KA200n's > Naiant Tinybox (v2.1) > Sony PCM-M10
http://tooldriveproject.net

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2004, 04:14:11 PM »
there were some 4061's on the live rh board i'm on going for $600 that came with a battery box that was made from an old cell phone casing.  the bat box looked exactly like a cell phone, i dunno if they're still available.  but it could be an idea if you wanted to make your own.  seems easy enuf.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2004, 04:17:36 PM »
If ya go with the DPA battery box there small and plastic ..Roughly as big as a pac of cigs.They dont have rolloff i used them  line in before i had mine modded and had great results..Sometime after the first of the year i can maybe loan ya  a set that I have with a coresound heb  bat box ..If you bought the dpas from Oade with bb your looking at $850..

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2004, 02:33:04 AM »
Doesn't a plastic bat box run the risk of interferance from the stage electronics?  I read something about the lead casing of most batt boxes act as a shield against such things.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2004, 09:53:12 AM »
ouch, somethin tells me its gonna be awhile before i get those...  my cards terminate in a 1/8" stereo mini-plug.  are there phantom power sources out that that accept such plugs (instead of XLR)...

\
If ya go with the DPA battery box there small and plastic ..Roughly as big as a pac of cigs.They dont have rolloff i used them  line in before i had mine modded and had great results..Sometime after the first of the year i can maybe loan ya  a set that I have with a coresound heb  bat box ..If you bought the dpas from Oade with bb your looking at $850..
-Karl

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2004, 01:44:44 AM »
When using the 4061 do you really need and A/D or can you just power them with a standard batt box?
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2004, 08:23:31 AM »
When using the 4061 do you really need and A/D or can you just power them with a standard batt box?

You can use a standard battery box. 

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2004, 09:53:54 AM »

FWIW, an A/D (aka ADC) doesn't have anything to do with powering the mics.  I think you're asking if the 4061s require phantom power or not.  And PFife already answered that one:  phantom power not required, battery box power okay.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2004, 10:53:16 AM »
actually, I've read from people here that true phantom power will fry 'em.    gotta get the DAD6001's and filter the +48 down in order to use them.  So actually, I think its better to say that you really should use a bb.

That's what I think is advantageous about these mics- they are really running at peak performance w/ a battery box, thus phatom power is really overkill, and not needed.

someone please correct me if I am giving bad info here.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2004, 11:18:39 AM »
yeah, i am getting really confused on all this.  what about a denecke ad-20?  i know it is still only 9v, but will that clean things up? i can even get a 2 xlr to mini plug adapter for that if i have to.  that was the one great thing about my CSBs, they never had this sort of problem...  thinking about using those for the uber loud shows...

actually, I've read from people here that true phantom power will fry 'em.    gotta get the DAD6001's and filter the +48 down in order to use them.  So actually, I think its better to say that you really should use a bb.

That's what I think is advantageous about these mics- they are really running at peak performance w/ a battery box, thus phatom power is really overkill, and not needed.

someone please correct me if I am giving bad info here.

-Karl

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2004, 11:38:32 AM »
AD-20 doesn't do any powering either.  My sig has what you can do- My experience (but others differ)  is that you'll need attenuator(s) between the bb and ad-20, as the ad-20 gives +17db of gain even when the gain nobs are turned all the way down.

AS far as quality, I'm working on the assumption that the a/ds and pre are better than those that are stock in the NJB3.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2004, 02:08:08 PM »
what about either of these two beasties?

http://www.micsupply.com/phantompower.htm

i could get the correct adapters to go from xlr to 1/8" male and vice versa to go to jukebox....  althoug i am confused on the 9v versus 48v, being unable to figure out any sort of engineering concepts due to the fact that I am a math nerd.
-Karl

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2004, 02:21:22 PM »
Overkill if you are planning to go with the 4061's.  You can just solder them both to a stereo 1/8" plug, and plug that into a standard battery box (like either one in your signature) and then:

1/8" to (2)XLRM splitter -> Shure Attenuators -> AD-20

or

attenuator (theres one on mic supply) -> 1/8" to (2)XLRM splitter -> AD-20.

I can post a pic of the first option if you'd like- it'll be a couple hours or so- gotta get home from work first...

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline kfrinkle

• Karl Frinkle Dot Net
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2004, 02:35:39 PM »
well to be honest, i wont be upgrading my rig until i get hired somewhere, and that wont start until august.  but for 150 bucks or so, that aint a bad way to go.  and to be honest, i was thinking about that ad-20 for my csbs.  the signal is soooo low on them that at isis i had to boost the wav form by 20db after i dumped it off the jukebox, whereas the CMC-8s got a tad bit of that fuzziness i encoutnered at manson earlier this week.

-Karl

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.095 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com