Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps beginner?  (Read 31761 times)

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
Re: Schoeps beginner?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005, 04:43:12 PM »
BTW: Nbox is the most compact solution for powering Schoeps?

Yes it is, and I'll sell mine for $850 check the yardsale. CCM4's are still around $3000 and you cant change caps.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline kidtexas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005, 07:13:40 PM »
Yes it is, and I'll sell mine for $850 check the yardsale. CCM4's are still around $3000 and you cant change caps.

Buy his Nbox so he can buy my mics.  :P

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 09:42:44 AM »
This thread might help a bit.. It at least summarizes the prices for various Schoeps active setups.

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46242.0

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 12:17:39 AM »
 :newbie: here

So if I want to go with Schoeps (can't make up my mind on what I want Neumanns/Schoeps/MBHOs) I don't need a mic amplifier when I run with the Oade ACM 660, do I? It has a phantom +48V switch for condenser mics.

I will be taping 50% stealth and 50% open mic. I would like the ability to change caps in the future.

I was thinking of.....MK4>KCY 250>KS 5 IU>AK SU/2U>Oade ACM 660 (~$2100 for the Schoeps setup). Am I on the right track? Other Suggestions that are about the same price or slightly less?
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2005, 12:25:59 AM »
microtech geffels and akg's

schoeps acpsules are a hefty chunk of change for a pair, bout a thousand bucks

you could get all 3 sets of caps for the 480's (hyper/cards/omni) and they would cost ya about 1900 for all 3 sets of caps and the 480 bodies(at least what ive spent on acquiring all of thayt) or you could easily get the mg 200 bodies and get the hypers/cards for about the same as the akg's, maybe a tad less by a couple hundred :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2005, 01:06:30 AM »
I was thinking of.....MK4>KCY 250>KS 5 IU>AK SU/2U>Oade ACM 660

The setup you listed runs the MK4 caps effectively directly into the 660 with a few cable connector changes.  However, the MK4 (or any of the MKx caps) require mic bodies (like the CMC6), or a custom box that replaces the mic bodies.  The two custom boxes I know of that replace the mic bodies are the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 and NBox.

So, your choices are roughly:

[1]  MK4 / KC5 (active cables) / CMC6 > ACM 660 or other pre/ADC w/ phantom power
[2]  MK4 / KCY 250Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 > ACM660 or other ADC
[3]  MK4 / custom actives > NBox > ACM660 or other ADC

For ~$2,000, I'd go with something like [3].  Options [1-2] will push you over budget.  Other options to the ACM660 include the M-Audio MicroTracker 2496 (assuming M-Audio works out the bugs, which I suspect they will), or Sony M1 or D100.  For a few bucks more, I personally prefer the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 over the NBox.  But it also costs ~$400+ more new.  The NBox will save you some cash if bought new, and much more if bought used.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2005, 01:22:11 AM »
Ok maybe I'm alittle confused the CMC6 has XLR 3-pin male connection? If I was to buy a used set
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46355.0
I would need to add the active cable for stealthing and without if I wanted for a tripod stand recording (unless I went with the 5 meter active. Wow am I starting to understand this stuff...like those actives cost a lot of $$$$ :o

Any one know of a good connector or adaptor that is right angle XLR 3-pin Male  to Female so my 660 can sit flat in my fanny pack while adjusting the levels? I don't want the weight resting on the cables..that would be bad ???

or Oade Mod R4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2005, 01:29:49 AM »
Ok maybe I'm alittle confused the CMC6 has XLR 3-pin male connection?

Yes.  Most mic bodies have a male 3-pin XLR connector into which one plugs the female 3-pin XLR from the mic cables.  Exceptions to this rule are some of the mini mics that run on bias power, not phantom power.  They usually use an 1/8" mini stereo connector.

If I was to buy a used set
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=46355.0
I would need to add the active cable for stealthing and without if I wanted for a tripod stand recording (unless I went with the 5 meter active.

For stealthing, yes, you'd need the KC5 active cables.  For open taping, you could run the MK4 / CMC6 in shockmounts, on a stereo or T-bar, on a stand, with standard mic cables.

like those actives cost a lot of $$$$ :o

Everything Schoeps is expensive, more so now that the exchange rate stinks.

Any one know of a good connector or adaptor that is right angle XLR 3-pin Male  to Female

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2463.0
Roland R-05

Offline tfs8271

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2005, 01:48:37 AM »
Brian
Thanks
+T for you when I get there...like you need one ;D you've been around here a while I see :cheers:

or Oade Mod R4

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2005, 05:39:20 PM »
I am in the process of ordering this rig: mk4's> KCY 250/01> VST 62 IUg  Phantom-powered Stereo Amplifier> a stereo 1/8" unbalanced phone  jack> unbalanced inputs of HiMD line in. Anyone has experience with this combination? I need it for stealthing and will use the MK4's in croakies (yes, in croakies.)

(The HiMD line in works the same as the D7 or D8 line in, that is, I get good signal with a 9v battery box into it, unlike the M1, which doesn't give adequate signal with a 9v battery box. I currently use MM Sennheiser cardioids or omnis>SP-SPSB-1>D7/D8/HiMD line in) - Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2005, 05:52:59 PM »
I am in the process of ordering this rig: mk4's> KCY 250/01> VST 62 IUg  Phantom-powered Stereo Amplifier> a stereo 1/8" unbalanced phone  jack> unbalanced inputs of HiMD line in.

I believe the VST 62IUg requires phantom power to operate.  In your lineage above, there is no phantom power source.
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2005, 06:13:11 PM »
Okay, it seems there's some misunderstanding or confusion around what Schoeps gear is required for making a functional rig.  In the hopes of clarifying, these are the necessary components in order to run Schoeps mics:

[1] mic caps
The mic caps, designated MKx, provide different pickup patterns.  MK4 = cardioid, MK4V = vertically oriented cardioid, MK41 = supercardioid, MK21 = subcardioid, etc.

[2] active cables 1
Active cables provide the ability to run the mic caps [1] remotely from the mic bodies [3].  The active cables chosen - from the Schoeps list - will depend on the mic bodies [2] used.

[3] mic bodies (aka mic amplifiers)
Mic bodies amplify the signal from the mic caps [1] and pass the signal along to the next device in the chain.  Mic bodies require power to function, either <a> phantom power from an external phantom power supply (like the Denecked PS-2 or most microphone preamps), or <b> an internal power supply, i.e. battery.  Mic bodies - one of those listed at Schoeps - are required, unless using custom gear containing their equivalent, like the NBox or Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 preamps.  (If someone knows of an alternative solution to the Schoeps mic bodies and NBox / SX-M2/LS2, please let us all know).

1Note:  active cables are NOT required in all cases.  For example, one could attach the MKx caps directly to the CMC6 mic bodies, without the active cables.  But this thread seems focused on active cable solutions, so...I've included them.

Edit to add...

After [1-3] above, the other components of gear listed in the Where To Begin forum's Start Here! thread are still required:

[2]  Mic Power (unless using an internally powered Schoeps mic body)
[3]  Gain
[4]  Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADC)
[5]  Storage Devices
« Last Edit: October 02, 2005, 06:31:26 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2005, 08:34:31 PM »
Mic bodies amplify the signal from the mic caps [1] and pass the signal along to the next device in the chain.  Mic bodies require power to function, either <a> phantom power from an external phantom power supply (like the Denecked PS-2 or most microphone preamps), or <b> an internal power supply, i.e. battery.  Mic bodies - one of those listed at Schoeps - are required, unless using custom gear containing their equivalent, like the NBox or Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 preamps.  (If someone knows of an alternative solution to the Schoeps mic bodies and NBox / SX-M2/LS2, please let us all know).

Does using the Scoeps VMS 5 U Microphone Preamplifier require also using the microphone bodies in the modular line? Is this lineage possible: MK4's>KCY 250/01>VMS 5 U Microphone Preamplifier>stereo 1/8" unbalanced phone  jack> unbalanced inputs of HiMD line in?

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/specs-vms5.html

Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 12:01:38 AM »
Does using the Scoeps VMS 5 U Microphone Preamplifier require also using the microphone bodies in the modular line? Is this lineage possible: MK4's>KCY 250/01>VMS 5 U Microphone Preamplifier>stereo 1/8" unbalanced phone  jack> unbalanced inputs of HiMD line in?

http://www.schoeps.de/E-2004/specs-vms5.html

Noam

The VMS5U preamp allows running of mics via the standard XLR inputs, i.e. mics > XLR mic cables > VMS5U.  It also allows for use of the KCY active cable to run MKx > KCY 250/N Ig > VMS5U (where N is the cable length in meters).  However, based on the pics, the only outputs available are 2 x XLR.  So, you'd have to get a 2 x XLR > 1/8" stereo adapter.

Personally, I like the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 better.  Others prefer the NBox, in part because it's less expensive but still very functional and sounds very good.  Both the Sax and NBox will allow you to run without the 2 x XLR > 1/8" stereo adapter:

MKx > KCY 250/N Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 1/8" stereo output > ADC / recorder
MKx > custom actives > NBox 1/8" stereo output > ADC / recorder

Have you taped before?  If not, have you considered (or shall I say:  you should consider) a less expensive setup to determine first whether it's something about which you're serious?
Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 12:25:01 AM »
MKx > KCY 250/N Ig > Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 1/8" stereo output > ADC / recorder
MKx > custom actives > NBox 1/8" stereo output > ADC / recorder
The VMS 5 U Microphone Preamplifier is 6-2/3" × 2-1/3" ×6-3/4", still doable for stealthing... What is the size of the Sonosax and of the NBox?

Have you taped before?  If not, have you considered (or shall I say:  you should consider) a less expensive setup to determine first whether it's something about which you're serious?

See my original question you had responded to. I have taped dozens of concerts using MM Sennheiser cardioids or omnis>SP-SPSB-1>D7/D8/HiMD line in, and am looking to upgrade - Noam

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.177 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com