Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: spaced omnis placement confusion  (Read 24010 times)

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: spaced omnis placement confusion
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2006, 02:49:42 PM »
Maybe one of you omni gurus can answer a question:
DPA offers various "grids" to place in front of their omnis to alter the response of the microphone. For example, they have a diffuse-field grid that raises the response above 15 kHz when recording farther away. What's up with that? Can this be done for other microphones? How does this work? I think it would be great to have that option available on any omni, to tilt it's response up a bit when you run them farther back than you would like.

it is simply to offset the HF loss at longer distances. It works by way of Vents, changing the way the signal interacts with the diaphragm. The grids are not the only accessory, for the high end omnis like the 4006 and the ilk, there are also pressure balls that go around the head of the mic to boost on axis sources and attenuate off axis to give better "presence" and clarity to the recordings. The catalyst for the production of the pressure balls was I think an attempt by DPA to capture some of the directivity that the Neumann m50 omnis had. (the m50s were used by Decca for many years, and are considered the de facto standard for Decca Tree Micing..) Peter Drefahl makes similar attachments for schoeps omnis, and with the DPA 4060/4061, you could remove the grille and get a flatter response...it can be done with any mic...just a matter of physics and the manufacturer or user doing their homework to develop a solution.

<<<<these come in 30, 40 and 50mm...the 50mm are what I own.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 02:51:42 PM by Teddy »

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2006, 03:14:13 PM »
Will those balls work with just any omni? That is, if you can fine one to fit the diameter of your mic?
I really like the idea, I just don't understand it that well.  :-\ Just by the looks of it, I'd tend to think the ball would attenuate any sound coming from the front of the capsule  ???
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2006, 03:24:58 PM »
Will those balls work with just any omni? That is, if you can fine one to fit the diameter of your mic?
I really like the idea, I just don't understand it that well.  :-\ Just by the looks of it, I'd tend to think the ball would attenuate any sound coming from the front of the capsule  ???

I would say so, yes. The balls use diffractions on the surface to modify the sound field around the diaphragm. the attenuation is off axis at sources above 1khz, and on axis, the lower frequencies are boosted.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2006, 03:29:24 PM »
Maybe one of you omni gurus can answer a question:
DPA offers various "grids" to place in front of their omnis to alter the response of the microphone. For example, they have a diffuse-field grid that raises the response above 15 kHz when recording farther away. What's up with that? Can this be done for other microphones? How does this work? I think it would be great to have that option available on any omni, to tilt it's response up a bit when you run them farther back than you would like.

it is simply to offset the HF loss at longer distances. It works by way of Vents, changing the way the signal interacts with the diaphragm. The grids are not the only accessory, for the high end omnis like the 4006 and the ilk, there are also pressure balls that go around the head of the mic to boost on axis sources and attenuate off axis to give better "presence" and clarity to the recordings. The catalyst for the production of the pressure balls was I think an attempt by DPA to capture some of the directivity that the Neumann m50 omnis had. (the m50s were used by Decca for many years, and are considered the de facto standard for Decca Tree Micing..) Peter Drefahl makes similar attachments for schoeps omnis, and with the DPA 4060/4061, you could remove the grille and get a flatter response...it can be done with any mic...just a matter of physics and the manufacturer or user doing their homework to develop a solution.

<<<<these come in 30, 40 and 50mm...the 50mm are what I own.
looks like a $40 raquetball to me! 
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2006, 03:34:19 PM »
... with a hole in it...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 03:36:17 PM »
... with a hole in it...

Yeah, I wouldnt (and didnt) pay 100 bucks for it. I paid about 110 for all 3 of mine.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 03:39:54 PM »
... with a hole in it...

Yeah, I wouldnt (and didnt) pay 100 bucks for it. I paid about 110 for all 3 of mine.
what are they made of teddy?  are they rubber or hard plastic?

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RebelRebel

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »
these are made of hard plastic.

... with a hole in it...

what are they made of teddy?  are they rubber or hard plastic?

Matt

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2006, 04:39:47 PM »
This type of response shaping is referred to as a phase plug or wave guide, it’s the same principal we use for loudspeakers for P.A systems. I do the same thing with my Omni mics. You have to be careful because you can go too far (this will also increase the distortion of the mic) because you are introducing a boost, you are going to increase the THD of the mic at the apex of the boost or center frequency.

This boost can be done with a simple brass tube that fits the mic capsule you want to leave a "lip" around the mic capsule but the edges of the brass tube must be smooth the size of the lip can be anywhere from 1mm to 3mm depending on the amount of boost you want to introduce.
Did you ever wonder how Earthworks gets a WM-60 capsule to go up to 50k? This is one of the ways they get a flatter frequency response on the mics they make and it works. But it has to be done right in order to get positive results.

The grid it self does not change the sound as much as the housing does that is placed in front of the mic. Not all caps can be used with all mics it depends on the size of the opening of the electrets capsule it self *the port that picks up the sound*

So you have to try different ones. I designed mine by watching the high-end change on a LMS program, until I got a flat response. The truth of the mater is most electret capsules have a dip between 15k and 20k, this cap makes this flat or it can even go above flat and act as a boost.

Chris Church

I would say so, yes. The balls use diffractions on the surface to modify the sound field around the diaphragm. the attenuation is off axis at sources above 1khz, and on axis, the lower frequencies are boosted.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2006, 04:58:59 PM »
Think $100 is bad for the raquetball?  How about $120 for a plastic nose cone?

Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2006, 05:03:32 PM »
Think $100 is bad for the raquetball?  How about $120 for a plastic nose cone?

looks like a $120 prosthetic device to me!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2006, 07:09:35 PM »
Easy now, didn't mean to raise anyone's ire.  It's a simple fact of geometry that it is impossible to have two mics three times as far apart as they both are from the same source (as would be the case with a stereo pair recording a single source).  Draw a diagram or get out the tape measure.. can't do it in this 3 dimentional space universe.  I completely respect your experience and the reputation of GEFELL, but the information on their site is wrong, perhaps their english translation is to blame. 

Now if the source is large like a chorus or orchestra, it is possible to have one part of the large source close enough to one of the mics to achieve a 3:1 ratio between that one part of the large source and the two mics.  Other parts of the source will have lower ratios.  That's not what we are really talking about, and confuses the issue by breaking up a single large source into multiple parts.

If you can show me a diagram or actual mesurements of a spaced pair setup you have used to record a single source with a spaced pair following the 3:1 rule you will convince me.. & we can dig up the bones of Pythagoras & Euclid and re-invent geometry.

No offense meant to you.  The rule does of course exist, it just doesn't apply to a spaced stereo pair.. not because anyone says so, but because it cannot be done.

You are 100% incorrect The 3:1 rule does exist argue your point with GEFELL one of the most respected names in audio.
I have been a sound engineer for 20 years I know my mic techniques and not because I read them from a book because I have used them. This rule can be applyed to close micing and to distant micing BUT it is only a guidline I was only trying to say that this rule dose exist and it is used sometimes. The fact that someone says this rule does not exist does not make it so. Furthermore this rule does not always have to be used it depends on your situation.

Chris Church

Here is the url for the info I have posted. http://www.gefell-mics.com/stereo_mic_techniques.htm

Wide stereo
Set-up: Two directional or omnidirectional spread using the 3:1 rule
Primary use:  STEREO RECORDING OF ENSEMBLES AND ORCHESTRA'S
Stereo image: EXCELLENT
Center image: OKBest for: Working with the mid to far field
Advantage:   Better stereo imaging

Notes:
The wide stereo employs a 3:1 rule whereby the distance between mics is 3 times greater than the distance of the source. For large orchestra, an additional center mic is often used. This provides better stereo imaging but does not make for good mono compatibility.

Actually RESPECTFULLY, you have it backwards phase cancellation happens when two mics pick up the same source at the same exact time and amplitude and frequency. The polar patterns overlap making this happen. This normally happens at one frequency like for example if I had two Omni mics on a single singer and he or she was hot at 2.5k I would need to apply the three * to one ratio to avoid phase cancellation and the peek frequency or dominant frequency.

Your scenario of the rule needing to be applied with two different sources would be almost impossible to get any kind of phase problem.  Hence the need to space mics with such open polar patterns (OMNI) in the first place. This is the reason why you never see a true stereo one point Omni mic; it would be a phase cancellation nightmare.

Aaah, I see, the much misunderstood 3:1 rule.

And now, sorry for the emphasis.

The rule of thumb is ONLY of any use when you use two mics to record two DIFFERENT sound sources and want the two sources to be SEPARATED. So if you want one channel to have the lead singer and one to have the backup singer it is applicable. If then the singers are each one meter away from his/her mic, then the mics should be at least three meters from each other. Then each mic will basically only have one singer, allowing you to mix and match without much problem with phase issues and bleed between the mics. As with any rule of thumb it certainly does not work in every circumstance. It is a useful starting point for mulitmicing things in the studio or on the stage.

It has ABSOLUTET NO RELEVANCE for the distance between the two mics that make up a stereo pair. Here we want both mics to capture every source to some degree. The arrival time and volume differences are queues for our brain to recreate the stereophonic landscape. How to setup the mics is ruled by what stereo image you get, and then both mics need to get at least part of the picture, exactly as your ears.

Once more, sorry for shouting -- this seems to be a very common misconception.

Gunnar

Sorry Chris, but Gunnar is correct.  The 3:1 rule is for multiple mics on separate sources.  it is a multi-miking rule and does not apply to a single stereo pair. You are correct in noting that comb filtering is caused by the interference pattern of a single source, picked up by two mics and then summed again (either electronically or in air).  The 3:1 rule works by getting each source/mic pair far enough away from the next that any inevital bleed is or or less inconsequential for phase issues.  The rule has nothing to do with polar patterns other than more discriminating patterns can, by attenuation, help to reduce bleed and limit the comb filtering that the 3:1 rule aims to achive using distance.  The different path lengths between the source and the 3:1 separated mics proivides both attenuation and phase differences between the signals of all the mics that are picking up that souce, both intentionally (mic on that source) and unintentionally (bleed from other mics). 

It is physically impossible to apply the 3:1 rule to stereo micing, follow me here:

For stereo miking where some part of the source (say, the center of the stage) is equidistant from each mic, you cannot have more than a 2:1 ratio of source to mic vs. mic to mic distance.  The only geometry that would acheive a 2:1 ratio would be to put the mics in a line with the source on the midpoint of that line, centered between the mics.  As soon as you move the source away from the line the ratio drops. An equilateral triangle of source and mics would have a 1:1 ratio.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2006, 07:18:14 PM »
Chris,

Thanks for your insight as to how mic manufacturer's can adjust the HF response by changing the geomety around the capsule.  I've suspected that was one way manufacturers were doing that.  It strikes me that this is taking advantage of the same physical phenomenon behind the baffle-step response for loudspeakers and the relationship of the area of the boundry vs. frequency boost range for boundry layer micing techniques.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2006, 11:16:49 PM »

.. can't do it in this 3 dimentional space universe. 

Now this is only true for this 3 dimensional EUCLIDEAN space universe, some of the newer halls with a non-Euclidean metric allow all sorts of innovative mic placement.   However the mass or energy densities needed to sustain the local curvature of space in such halls can play havoc with unbalanced circuits, and you might as well kiss your time-code generator goodbye, unless you have something like the new Sound Devices Hyperspace 744 with a general relativistic invariant time-code function.  This will be useful if you want to keep the music on your tape from ending before it actually begins.

Jeff

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2006, 03:45:49 AM »
you guys simply lost me...

OK. no agreement if the 3:1 rule applies or not.
However, is it possible to say under which conditions a short spacing of 1 to 8 feet should be a good choice?

And of course I got very curious abt. the J Disc. The thread 'spaced Omnis vs. J/disc' has total 31 pages, so much info but I struggle to get the essence of it, I'd need a resumen stating all the important points. I'd be very happy to get clarified:

• Generally Omnis are used with J disc, but also subcard, even cards can be used. Should Omnis be the default choice, or when could cards be the better choice?
  • Which would be the easiest to build but effective well working DIY J disc? Many build their own disc but modified it later. Why and how for which reason? Would a hard rubber disc make a good disc?
  • Which would be your prefered Mic positioning using the J disc? Separation, pointing? Closer to the disc gives better separation, further away less separation and...? Would they usually be pointed streight forward?
  • Is there any other important point?

Well, sure my questions are simplistic as the answers must depend on circumstances, but somethng like a dummy guide for J Disc would be just great.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 04:42:18 AM by kuuan »
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com