Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation  (Read 18610 times)

Offline lbgspam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Portable Mic Stand Recommendation
« on: September 02, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »
Hi,

I am looking for a new mic stand for my AKG C1000s. I have a crappy 9' mic stand that is just so darn heavy and big to carry around. :(
I would love something that shrinks down to nothing and made from lightweight aluminum. 

I searched this forum but nothing was readily apparent.

Is anything out there that shrinks down VERY small in size, about 8' or higher, and VERY lightweight?

Thanks!

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Portable Mic Stand Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »
The best height v. compact closed size stand I've found is the Bogen 3373.  Not as tall as you'd like, it maxes out ~7-1/2' using its narrowest, tallest footprint, but folds down to 19" (far smaller than any others I've found).

Edit to add:  To mount your stereo bar on the top of this stand, you'll want a Bogen 5/8" stud | 3/8" male thread Rapidapter and a 3/8" > 5/8" thread adapter.

Edit again to add:  I rarely find myself needing / wanting to run more than ~7', so the 3733 works just fine for me.  For those rare occasions I want more height, I have a ~20" Bogen Heavy-Duty Flex Arm.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:36:26 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 02:58:12 PM »
Thanks so much! It definitely looks lighter and smaller!

However, what i read it is only like 6' tall.  Which is a bit short side for my modest needs.
Any other recs?

Thanks again!! :d

« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 03:07:56 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 03:12:26 PM »
What about this one? It looks very small when broken down and light too...

How do i tell what thread I need for my mic t-bar? I want something that has the correct thread size so I don't have to add to the weight:

http://www.adorama.com/SALSC8.html

Offline Ryan Sims

• Taperssection All-Star
  • A vision of a gentle coast
    • Something
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 04:38:03 PM »
Your t-bar is probably a 5/8", just like Skalinder said.  With the stand you posted, just get the 3/8">5/8" adapter, also in Brian's post.   Considering the weight, the adapter can't weigh enough to make a difference, and I personally haven't seen a light stand with a 5/8" threaded post.
Ryan (minus sign) Sims dot com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryan-sims/

No single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 05:47:08 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=400109&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I use those with my lightstand.  I just screw them into my T-bars and Vert bar (making sure the screw attachments are sticking out so i can remove them if needed) .  Works like a charm for me...and at $1.75 it's an option that can't be beat.

If you get that aluminum light stand, let us know how it works...I'd be tempted to get one for FOB recording at that price.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 05:59:24 PM »

My initial reaction:  nice find!  But I'm not convinced the specs are correct.  If it has a closed length of 16.7", then that means each telescoping section is no longer than 16.7".  According to the specs and pics, there are only 4 sections.  Four sections * a max of 16.7" per section = a max height of 66.8", or 5' 6.8".  Something's amiss here.   :-\
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 06:16:01 PM »

My initial reaction:  nice find!  But I'm not convinced the specs are correct.  If it has a closed length of 16.7", then that means each telescoping section is no longer than 16.7".  According to the specs and pics, there are only 4 sections.  Four sections * a max of 16.7" per section = a max height of 66.8", or 5' 6.8".  Something's amiss here.   :-\

If the bottom section of the stand doesn't rest on the ground could that explain the extra height?
I just emailed them your post and will let you know what is amiss.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 06:22:29 PM by lbgspam »

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 06:17:10 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=400109&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I use those with my lightstand.  I just screw them into my T-bars and Vert bar (making sure the screw attachments are sticking out so i can remove them if needed) .  Works like a charm for me...and at $1.75 it's an option that can't be beat.

If you get that aluminum light stand, let us know how it works...I'd be tempted to get one for FOB recording at that price.

Thanks so much for this picture. It really helped me understand. I actually think I can steal one of these from my old crapy On-Stage mic stand.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 06:20:58 PM »
If the bottom section of the stand doesn't rest on the ground could that explain the extra height?

Not likely.  Might get an extra 12" if the stand's legs are in a tight footprint, nearly vertical.
Roland R-05

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 06:22:59 PM »

Not likely.  Might get an extra 12" if the stand's legs are in a tight footprint, nearly vertical.

I just emailed them your post and will let you know what is amiss.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 06:43:58 PM »
Found the company web site which also lists it as 8'

http://www.savagepaper.com/lightstands.htm

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 11:12:33 PM »
Found the company web site which also lists it as 8'

http://www.savagepaper.com/lightstands.htm

Yeah, I found it, too.  Same specs that don't seem to add up, though.  I must be missing something here...
Roland R-05

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 06:31:31 PM »
For years the ONLY really quiet, very stable, and really low <3 pounds weight is BEYER model 252 (or maybe 352?).  Haven't purchased one for a long time and the model number seems NOT on the product.

Anyway, this is a 5-section folding tripod made from aircraft aluminum, and goes to 3.5-15' height. Colapses to ~28 inches length and is very quiet to not make sounds when handled.  Fullcompass was my supplier, and should be able to get this model even though nobody I know shows BEYER folding tripod in their catalog for a long time.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 08:00:38 PM »
For years the ONLY really quiet, very stable, and really low <3 pounds weight is BEYER model 252 (or maybe 352?).  Haven't purchased one for a long time and the model number seems NOT on the product.

Anyway, this is a 5-section folding tripod made from aircraft aluminum, and goes to 3.5-15' height. Colapses to ~28 inches length and is very quiet to not make sounds when handled.  Fullcompass was my supplier, and should be able to get this model even though nobody I know shows BEYER folding tripod in their catalog for a long time.

I will have to check that out. Any idea on price?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com