Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG c460 thoughts...  (Read 24026 times)

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG c460 thoughts...
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »
i love my stock 460's and have no desire to have anything done to them. i think i lucked out by having 460's be the first affordable used mics i could find when i was ready to buy. i have not regretted this purchase at all.

Offline esteyes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:40 AM »
i would be willing to lend out a different preamp than most use. i'm 50 and have listened to many pre's. i'm big in old school car audio and for me, robert zeff (ZAPCO) drove the bus for killer audio due to sound quality. i have worked with him and know him personally as well as owning stuff from him with serial #'s below 005 from the early days before we designed stuff together. i currently listen via adcom monoblox and mirage M1's as well as some rare ADS 5 driver 3 way systems - but then i worked for the company that acquired ads and then killed ultimately them  >:(  i currently use a Sony XES system - 10K when new and i was one of the two installers in CA sony trained when it debuted - in my ride.

Sony DMX-P01 digital mixer. well loved by everyone from charlie miller (kimock) to slim (abb and mule). takes the _best_ of any mic and puts it down on tape just fine. usd to dislike the akg sound as thin... accurate but thin - sp the high end. now i own waayy too much akg. and still love my old senn's. i'll post ratdog from the greek la from the back done with me88 guns that are older than most folks on this list.

maybe the second quart of don julio is getting to me so i will just bail out now while it is safe. f-ing best mixer i have ever used... going to try the korg mr1000>shure FP33>mics combo next as well as the mr1000>dmx-p01 combo.... seems a wate of the sony digi mixer tho as the korg is only analogue in and the sony is a a>d mixer at 24/48 or 24/96....

sorry for the lengthy ... takilla will do that

neil in san marcos
Neil Sturtevant
San Marcos, CA
AKG 451's + CK1/CK8/CK9
AKG 460's + CK61/CK63 or A60M + CK1/CK8/CK9  or MK46/CK1X/CK8X
Sennheiser K3U + MKE-2, ME20, ME40, ME80, ME88
Sennheiser MKH 110/2 x2 + MKH 110/1 powered via custom battbox
Busman BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4
Shure FP33 or Sony DMX P01
Korg MR1000 or Sony M1
stealth: M1 > MKE-2/ME 20/ME40 in the hat
all cabling LINK (made in Germany) balanced or balanced miniature w/ Neutrik ends

making custom cables and serviceable (non-epoxy) ultraflush right angle cables plus other custom projects

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2007, 09:07:39 AM »
I think the stock 460's are a better match to the V3, I find the JW mods to be just a bit strident with it. Just my opinion.  Id like to hear them into a mine-me or an ad1k.  Wonder what an MP-2 would sound like with the JW's?

sound devices or aerco?

i've run both  ;D

found the SD mp-2 to be a little to fat sounding and not as much detail with the mics as other pres
http://www.archive.org/details/rse2006-02-22.akg461.flac16

aerco is fucking beautiful with these mics, with further testing i would possibly buy one down the road
here's a recent show from High Sierra, i think it sounds very nice

YMSB -JWmod 461 > aerco mp2 > 722
http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=508223

i would like to run a MME some time as well, hmmm paging James...  ;D

I'd like to hear the same comp but straight into a 7xx ... or a stock vs JW mod comp into a 7xx.. if anyone could throw that together, that'd be great.

we have the capability of JWmod v stock in LA, Justin and I have been meaning to do a stock v JWmod >722 comp for a while but just haven't done it, maybe tomorrow for TLG...

I was thinking Aerco, but thanks for the links to both of those sources.  Good to hear the SD MP-2 as well. Ill take a listen to both. +t
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2007, 04:31:33 PM »
Can someone tell me if the JW mod C460's have about 6 db more output than the stock units?

Making them closer in output to the C480's?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:35:51 PM by Chuck »
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com