Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: which Sound Pros mic mount for CMC-4'?  (Read 3776 times)

Offline jmz93

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
which Sound Pros mic mount for CMC-4'?
« on: June 17, 2007, 12:51:53 PM »
Subject line says it really... there are two mounts available for these mics, listed at the Sound Professionals site. 

They sound about the same from the product descriptions, and are priced exactly the same. So what differences are there between them?

Before someone says "look at the pictures", I'm blind, so I can only go by the written descriptions.

Anyway, whichever mount I buy, it will be for a short mic stand, and hoefully will be easily adjustable between the various popular cardeoid patterns, ortf/zy/ab/din ...

thanks,
Chris

Offline boojum

• Needs to get out more...
Re: which Sound Pros mic mount for CMC-4'?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 01:30:54 PM »
Umm, I just made one from some PVC pipe and right-angle brass screws spaced at ORTF, DIN, and NOS distances.  I clip the left mic to the same post always and the right to the ORTF, DIN, or NOS post (right angle brass screw).  Works just fine for me.  The right angle part is at the correct angle except for the constant, or left, one.  That I vary to match the angle of the right one and am in business.  It works fine and cost a less than two dollars.  I did have to get the mic clip to put the pipe into, five bucks.  It was fun to make.  And, and this is important, groups that are not too sure they want you to record, when they see that hokey setup they figure they are not giving anything away to someone with a ratty rig like that.  Wrong! 

That happened yesterday.  I recorded a professional jazz quartet.  The boss asked what I was recording with.  When he saw that hokey setup he said it was OK.  Got a great recording of them!  YMMV      8)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:03:10 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 09:30:31 PM »
not trying to be a smart ass or anything
but if you are blind and can't see the pics, how can you read the written description?

i have the 24" tbar that flexes as seen here http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-3
but to have more options you prob are interested in http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-DTS-11
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 11:04:02 PM »
willndmb,
I use software commonly called a "screen reader" to read out what's on the screen.  So yes, right now you sound robotic and male.  Text? No problem. Graphics are another matter... please see:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/JAWS_HQ.asp
and if you decide to try the demo, make sure you don't cheat! Turn your screen off, and put that mouse away in a drawer or something.

To Web site designers who might be reading this, I just love it when you don't put alt="text" tags on your image links, so I get a long list of links with descriptive names like 0132f.gif, 2837fu.gif, etc. :) Ok ok, rant over, I promise! :)

I'll have to try the homemade pvc pipe example, but stuffing it so it doesn't resonate at say, 800hz, or whatever the tube itself likes to vibrate at.

Offline 1westkc3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:08:09 PM »
but if you are blind and can't see the pics, how can you read the written description?

i have the 24" tbar that flexes as seen here http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-GNA-3
but to have more options you prob are interested in http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-DTS-11

You think blind persons can't use computers?  How did jmz93 post his/her question here?  They use special software.  There are many types available for text but graphics pose a particularly vexing problem.

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:11:38 PM »
I'll probably pay the extra for the Soundpros stuff. also going for the mics mounted in baseball hat idea, ingenious! If not that, eyeglasses... fits the stereotype nicely. :) I wonder if that plus my white cane and I could talk my way through security? "Ah yes, they are microphones, but only because I can't hear so good and like, I need to amplify things and listen through these earbuds here..."" Talking loudly, stumbling a bit ... just might work! :)

Next will be selling off the Microtrack ... I like the recordings I get, but that NAV wheel control isn't reliable. If I push something three times, I need to know it actually moved three times in the given direction, not maybe twice or once or not at all... Ah, memorizing menus ... I'm probably going R-9, since I know more blind folks using that particular recorder, which might also help some of you stealthing and trying to adjust your recorders inside a pocket, bag, etc.

Offline boojum

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 01:06:34 PM »
I'll have to try the homemade pvc pipe example, but stuffing it so it doesn't resonate at say, 800hz, or whatever the tube itself likes to vibrate at.

OK, you caught me on that.  I got a can of spray foam sealant for sealing cracks and so on for weather protection.  I sprayed that into the PVC pipe.  In a few hours it had cured.  I see that blind is different from "can't read."

I understand some of your rants.  I commuted with a blind fellow for a few years and learned what irked him.  His dream: cars that drove themselves so he could go anywhere, anytime.  I am sure you wouldn't mind having one, either.

Let me know if the description is not clear enough for you.  The darned thing is light, fits in a book bag and you really do not care too much if it gets damaged, after the show.

That white cane attracts attention, at least it did for Loren, so having a pair of mics on you baseball cap might be picked up quicker than a sighted person's would.  Hey, experiment.  Try a few venues and let us know how you did.  Don't call for bail money!   LOL

Cheers   
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:08:08 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 01:53:59 PM »
willndmb,
I use software commonly called a "screen reader" to read out what's on the screen.  So yes, right now you sound robotic and male.  Text? No problem. Graphics are another matter... please see:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_products/JAWS_HQ.asp
and if you decide to try the demo, make sure you don't cheat! Turn your screen off, and put that mouse away in a drawer or something.

To Web site designers who might be reading this, I just love it when you don't put alt="text" tags on your image links, so I get a long list of links with descriptive names like 0132f.gif, 2837fu.gif, etc. :) Ok ok, rant over, I promise! :)

i am going to try the demo
but in the mean time i hope the links help you decide what might work for you and your mics
the one thing you might need/want to get is a riser for xy

the homemade pvc option i like too and is far less expensive
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline boojum

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 04:55:42 PM »
To do the PVC thing, remember that one pin, the left or right, is fixed and is used for each pattern.  The other pins demarcate the other patterns.  Mine the left pin is fixed, then the right is spaced for ORTF, then another for DIN and another for NOS.  The right pins are at the correct angles for each pattern and the left pin, is adjusted to match the angle of the right pin.  I clip the CMC-4U's or the MM-HLCS-1's on the pins with their little clips.  As they are very light they do not need a heavy support.  Fill the inside of the PVC pipe with foam.  I used pipe which would fit a mic clip on a mic stand. 

I can post a photo if you need it.  JMZ39, you can skip that part.  Unless you like reading all the hash that comprises a JPEG photo.  But I think you are used to conceiving in your mind so I am sure you get the idea.  Write with any questions.  This is a perfectly good setup and does not scare the tapees into thinking you are "too professional."   You may have to put the mic stand on sponges to isolate it from shocks.   I do that in a bar setting where folks are stomping their feet a lot and that works and will work with any mics not in a shock mount.  Sponges are cheap, too.  Sponge side down, scrubbing material side up.  8)
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jmz93

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:37:16 AM »
Umm, I just made one from some PVC pipe and right-angle brass screws spaced at ORTF, DIN, and NOS distances.  I clip the left mic to the same post always and the right to the ORTF, DIN, or NOS post (right angle brass screw).  Works just fine for me.  The right angle part is at the
correct angle except for the constant, or left, one.  That I vary to match the angle of the right

Ok, so the left post is the same type of brass screw? These sound adjustable...are they? Or does the pipe also have some curviture to it?

For when I go to Home Depot or whatevere hardware store this weekend, what are these screws commonly used for? Or will asking for small "right-angle brass screws" sufficiently clue the sales person in? 

and, what's the diameter of the pipe?

The ultimate brainless/foolproof design would involve some sort of moveable pin on the left-hand side that locked easily into preset notches in the pipe for the correct angles.  Hmmm. I'll have to think on that, and build the simpler version in the meantime.

The last thing I put together was an electric guitar kit from Carvin, so this should be pretty easy. :)

Come to think of it, I do have some eyeballs around to show a pic to, if you already have a jpg. Don't worry about it if you don't though; just if you happen to haveone already, and it's black-and-white. Have a laser printer here, but it's not color.

Thanks to others for your replies too, and of course the humor! :)

To the guy who mentioned me being more conspicuous with mics attached to my hat: Yeah, you're probably right. Add to that my habbit of staying pretty motionless at shows, and not looking at anything.  People probably think I'm stoned or something. :)

P.S. Caught the bit bout the foam, will add that to shopping list.

Offline boojum

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 07:55:20 PM »
Here is how I did it:  drill tiny pilot holes at the distances for ORTF, DIN and NOS on 7/8" PVC pipe.  These are measured off the stationary pin.  My stationary is on the left side.  The distances are available here, I am pretty sure.  I can get them if you have not already found them.  Then I put in the left one with the angled top pointing in the approximate angle I would want, it varies.  They the right pins (right angle screw) iare set in at the ORTF, DIN and NOS distances.  Each one is angled at the proscribed angle for the particular configuration.  A dab of glue to hold that angle is a good idea.  Note, this is reversed from how it works.  You are looking at the front.  In this picture it is the rightmost "pin" which is moveable and the others are fixed.

When the screws are placed, spray the foam into the darn thing and give it a few hours to cure.  The pipe is about a foot long, just a couple of inches longer than the NOS distance.  Now, here is the part you blind guys always skip: a white PVC pipe is going to be pretty obvious even if you can't see it, so spray it with some of that black paint that sticks to plastic.  It is made by Krylon and called Fusion.  It will get scuffed up pretty quickly so you will look like an old pro at this.  Folks will look at that damned funky pipe and figure you and it have been through the wars together.  It also does not excite the same envy and greed that a pro-looking setup will.  And so cheap to replace.  Mine is in the five dollar mic clip all the time.  I just throw it and the clip together into my book bag.  I screw it to the mic stand on location.

I will post a picture later if, and only if, you promise to turn the lights on if I come over.  LOL

OK, photo posted.  The right angle "pin" or screw is at the very top.  Take the picture with you.  It will really weird out the staff at Home Depot to have a blind guy hand them a photo and say, "Here, look in the photo, there is what I am talking about."

Cheers

« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:05:53 PM by boojum »
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline crmass

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »

I am considering getting a 24" tbar and was hoping you could answer a couple questions for me. First is it worth getting the 24" one if they are flexible? I figured the 12" would be good and if need be, it could be angled. My other question is what mic stand do you use? I'm just getting started and don't know a whole lot about mic stands. Any help you can offer is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:34 PM »
i would get the 24 still if it were me
you can make the 24 a 12 if you wanted to set up closer
but the extra length allows you to have more play and set up options

i use a bogen stand and it has the correct adaptor on top
pretty much all stands you will need a adapter to fit whatever size mount you need

Offline kuuan

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 08:55:58 PM »
Here is how I did it:  drill tiny pilot holes at the distances for ORTF, DIN and NOS on 7/8" PVC pipe.  These are measured .....
.......them a photo and say, "Here, look in the photo, there is what I am talking about."

Cheers

very impressive boojum!
I have been thinking of building something similar using a ruler instead of a PVC pipe. But you gained me on two ideas: having the mic fixed on one side and changing only the one on the other, and using screwes with angles to hold the mic's clip. Simple but effective, very clever!

cheers,
kuuan
Everything you do through out the day, every thought and every feeling leaves an impression stored inside you.
These impressions create tendencies, their sum total is your character.
gear: SP-CMC8+AT853 cards+omnis, AT822>DIY preamp>iRiverH120rockboxed

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com