Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: The MM-HLSC-1 Appreciation Thread  (Read 17764 times)

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: The MM-HLSC-1 Appreciation Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2008, 04:46:05 PM »
Using a BB tonight 3rd row center. Will up on Dime if it comes out good.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2008, 08:24:17 AM »
Never used my HLSC-1 without a battery box. Still, my answer is yes. No distortion ever.

Thanks for the info, I might try these out someday.

Offline Belexes

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »
If anyone gets these modded to lower the noise floor, Chris Church's 9100 pre is a must. I found that even being 3rd row at a rock concert with a battery box, I had to use all the gain structure from my D-50 (maxed out).  I'm sure unmodded with bb, these are great.  I used a bb instead of the 9100 for 007 considerations given the security near my position.

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2008, 10:02:33 AM »
If anyone gets these modded to lower the noise floor, Chris Church's 9100 pre is a must. I found that even being 3rd row at a rock concert with a battery box, I had to use all the gain structure from my D-50 (maxed out).  I'm sure unmodded with bb, these are great.  I used a bb instead of the 9100 for 007 considerations given the security near my position.

Most people that run these mics will never have a distortion issue, but they have almost exactly the same overload characteristics as the 853 when run 2 wire. The mics show a distortion level of about 7% at 1k at 114db now at lower frequencies it could be much worse and this again depends on a few factors such as the spacing between the diaphragm and the back plate. But they both distort. My mod fixes this for guys that want to run loud shows and do so all the time it should not be an issue. But if you want to be able to run all kinds of shows you will need a good preamp after the mod.

My mod is going to reduce the sensitivity of the mics by 12 db.. So that's how much gain you need to make up the difference. If you get one of my preamps and size is an issue I suggest the Ugly preamp its the size of a normal battery box with the same exact performance and specs as my 9100 v 3.3a.

The other part of my mod is a simple one.. The guys at Sennheiser did not use metal screen on the sides of the mics and on top of the diaphragm.. ( There is a course mesh ) but that is not good enough to block out RF and other types of interference. So I put in a fine brass mesh screen this allows your mics to be protected for debris and it greatly reduces inducted noise and provides a much better electrical shield then plastic mesh while not effecting frequency response. This is how I can reduce the sensitivity while not increasing the noise floor as much as one would think a 12 db reduction would do.
Chris
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:07:31 AM by Church-Audio »
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Belexes

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
My mod is going to reduce the sensitivity of the mics by 12 db.. So that's how much gain you need to make up the difference. If you get one of my preamps and size is an issue I suggest the Ugly preamp its the size of a normal battery box with the same exact performance and specs as my 9100 v 3.3a.

:hmmm:  I may just need to do that. Very tempting.

I was running "line-in" and thought about switching over to "mic in" to get added dB's, but was worried about possible brickwalling, so I just stayed line-in and figured I'd fix it in post.  Never used mic-in with the D-50 yet.

T

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 10:28:30 AM »

:hmmm:  I may just need to do that. Very tempting.

I was running "line-in" and thought about switching over to "mic in" to get added dB's, but was worried about possible brickwalling, so I just stayed line-in and figured I'd fix it in post.  Never used mic-in with the D-50 yet.

T

Well the problem with running mic in is your preamp.. And you do still need a battery box for mic in.. But it really does depend on how the gain structure is on your recorder.

Chris

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 11:41:56 PM »
I remember seeing a pic of the mod for the at853's once in the forums but can't seem to find it, i want to do the mod to my hlsc's, can anyone point me in the direction of that pic or post or another pic or layout of that mod, was that the 4.7k or 2.2k mod, seems like a pretty simple mod but just want to make sure where to put that resistor

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2008, 08:28:04 AM »
I remember seeing a pic of the mod for the at853's once in the forums but can't seem to find it, i want to do the mod to my hlsc's, can anyone point me in the direction of that pic or post or another pic or layout of that mod, was that the 4.7k or 2.2k mod, seems like a pretty simple mod but just want to make sure where to put that resistor

On each end of the 853 cable there are three wires a Copper wire = shield a Yellow wire = signal and a Red wire = Bias.. The mod is simple you take the red wires attach them to the tip or ring of a stereo mini plug. Then you take the Yellow wire attach a small 4.7k resistor between it and ground attach the copper wire to ground. And your done. The trick is finding the small resistors. I use 1/8 watt resistors. I can send you a few if you send me $3.00 to cover postage. I use a switchcraft jack like this one.. 35HDBAU you can find them here.. http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=MI16PYk8XENDbdMsGnKcGA%3D%3D

They are $8.00 per connector very expensive for a 3.5 mm but they are real gold with a black shell and they are built to last.

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2008, 08:54:57 AM »
+t, thats great info

thanks

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
One last question, got the right 4.7's from rat shack and just want to know if it matters what end goes in what direction?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
One last question, got the right 4.7's from rat shack and just want to know if it matters what end goes in what direction?

No resistors are not polarity sensitive. But you really should be using Metal Film resistors and not carbon.. Carbon tends to be more noisy..

Chris

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »
Will that be something the average guy(me) will notice, i was in a pinch to use this setup tonight so will look into the metal film resistors after this, Also i already did the mod and it is a very noticable difference and being that i am very close tonight i think the mod will serve me right

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2008, 02:25:58 PM »
Will that be something the average guy(me) will notice, i was in a pinch to use this setup tonight so will look into the metal film resistors after this, Also i already did the mod and it is a very noticable difference and being that i am very close tonight i think the mod will serve me right
This is the issue if your only ever going to be recording loud shows you will be fine.. With carbon if you plan on using them for recording quiet stuff you should get metal film. I have never tested carbon resistors in this circuit. So I cant say for sure how much more noise will be present, all I know is I would never do a mod that reduces sensitivity by 12 db and use carbon. If you need a pair let me know I can send you some..

Offline darktrain

• Whats next?
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
ok, yeh i really only plan on really loud shows with them like tohight where i am close and then later this week where it is a small club and loud metal, i'll let you know how it goes and send a sample out.

thanks

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2008, 01:49:28 AM »
The other part of my mod is a simple one.. The guys at Sennheiser did not use metal screen on the sides of the mics and on top of the diaphragm.. ( There is a course mesh ) but that is not good enough to block out RF and other types of interference. So I put in a fine brass mesh screen this allows your mics to be protected for debris and it greatly reduces inducted noise and provides a much better electrical shield then plastic mesh while not effecting frequency response. This is how I can reduce the sensitivity while not increasing the noise floor as much as one would think a 12 db reduction would do.
Chris

Chris, is it possible to replace the capsule to cover up the mesh?  The mesh not only doesn't look good but will likely be more noticeable when trying to stealth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com