Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which recorder for line in?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline wnt2rcrdchmbr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Which recorder for line in?
« on: June 27, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
Hello all, I am looking for a new recorder.  Record classical music, mostly brass quintet.  I have two Shure KSM141 for mics, Maudio dmp3 preamp which has 1/4 balanced outs.  Any recommendations on a recorder would be great.  It's time to get rid of the Fostex VF80.

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
Re: Which recorder for line in?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »
I record classical as well - my choice was the Nagra VI as it is 6 tracks, 6 x line inputs and 4 very high quality mic. pre-amps.  A superb recorder, excellent ergonomics, and probably the best portable around.

The Sound Devices 700 series are also worth looking at - various models from 2-track to 8-track and all excellent.

The 2-channel Nagra LB is also excellent.

I hope this helps.

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
You might want to post your budget. Recorders run from about $100-$10,000, so it's hard to suggest something without know how much you want to spend.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 08:09:24 AM »
Yes, a $ limit would be nice to know.

The Nagra and Sound Devices boxes certainly represent the upper end of the portable recorder market.  If you go that route, you might as well dump the M Audio as the Nagra and SD pres are better than the M Audio, IMHO.

And here is another unsolicited opinion: The Shure mics are fine if somewhat unappreciated mics and they should work well for your intended purpose.

Offline wnt2rcrdchmbr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:26:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  You're right, I should have put a budget out there.  I've read lots of good stuff about the Nagra and Sound Devices, but they are out of my league.  I'm hoping to keep the dmp3 and go line-in into, say, a sony pcm-m10 or edirol R09hr.  The microtrack II looks great with the 1/4" line ins, but I've read here that many don't like it.  I'm not sure what the differences are with line-ins with these smaller recorders as far as noise goes.  Most line-ins are 1/8".  The only cables I've seen for dual 1/4 to 1/8 are TS, not TRS.  I imagine that means it's unbalanced.  Would that be a problem?  It would be a short run, less than 3'.

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 04:16:49 AM »
If your going to go line in, the M10 seems to be the most popular deck for that (which is why I just bought one).

I have also owned the MT and MT II, and I wouldn't recommend it unless you wanted run digi in to it. It's a finicky machine. The battery life is a little lacking (unless you have external power, and even then I had issues with the deck locking up or losing a recording every now and then). I do like the MT if you want to run phantom powered mics into the TRS jacks (handy if you need a super compact rig).

The R09HR is also very popular to run line in. I have never owned one so I can't really comment on it. I did choose the M10 over the R09HR because the battery life is better.

I don't think you could go wrong with either the R09HR or M10.

The M10 is on sale at B+H for $200 right now...another bonus.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 07:03:50 PM »
Most line-ins are 1/8".  The only cables I've seen for dual 1/4 to 1/8 are TS, not TRS.  I imagine that means it's unbalanced.  Would that be a problem?  It would be a short run, less than 3'.

The m10 line in is 3.5mm stereo TRS so it will not be balanced.  However, that should not be a problem with line level inputs as the m10 will not need to amplify the signal much if at all, and any induced noise should be much less than the line level output of the dmp3.  The R09hr has a similar line input.

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 10:28:38 AM »
Another suggestion - the PMD-661 is capable of handling a +4db line feed via XLR, as compared to the consumer -10db, you just need adapter cables. It also has a 1/8" line in as well...
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline wnt2rcrdchmbr

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
If I go the M10 route, should I bother keeping the dmp3 and KSM141s?  Would the noise floor be any higher if I went with CA-14s or comperable?  Keep in mind I'll be recording classical music.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com