Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why Sony is not releasing a new portable recorder with Phantom Power?  (Read 7743 times)

Offline Napo

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
.. that I do not understand: the demand should be there. Or is it a domain for Tascam and SoundDevices?
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline hoccusfoccus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Why Sony is not releasing a new portable recorder with Phantom Power?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »
.. that I do not understand: the demand should be there. Or is it a domain for Tascam and SoundDevices?

Sony TCD-10? But it's a DAT ;D http://www.datrecorders.co.uk/tcdd10.php http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/TCDD10PROII/TCDD10PROII.html

Anyways.. back to this century...

Beats me.. Sony sells that XLR-to-minijack adapter box with PCM-D50 for 500 USD$ (!!) .. Think they want to sell cameras more as recording device with their crappy 16bit audio with after-thought audio chain including crappy audio inputs (even though these are XLR .. the pres are horrible) [I've owned & operated Sony's XDCAMs]

Current portable recorder brands w/ other than pure minijack inputs: Aaton (Cantar), Sonosax (SX-R2, SX62R, Mini R82*), AETA, Zaxcom (Deva,Fusion,Nomad,MAXX), Nagra, SD (7xx/t, 552, 664), Fostex (FR+PD), Marantz, Edirol/Roland (R4-PRO,R44,R88), Zoom (H4N**), Tascam .. by no means should not mix apples and oranges but just listing em all..
* not XLR but mini 7pin
** would not rate the XLR for zoom as proper input as it doesn't take line

... and nothing beats swiss made! 8)

Did I miss any current brands?  :o Wonder if Korg is continuing MR-1000 with next version.. 1bit is a gimmic but wonder if was making them $$$ vs MR-2 etc.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:36:53 AM by hoccusfoccus »

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »
WOW an update of the Sony TCD-10 would be slick!
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 08:53:56 AM »

I started this post because I want to have a all-in-one recording options and none of the ones you listed seems to me of recent built. I ma talking about high-end like SD 722, which is a great machine but 5 and more years old.

Let's see who make a move first. Nagra did but that is REALLY TOO high-end.
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline hoccusfoccus

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »

I started this post because I want to have a all-in-one recording options and none of the ones you listed seems to me of recent built. I ma talking about high-end like SD 722, which is a great machine but 5 and more years old.

?? there are plenty of those ones that are recent built... and they do sell them still and they are fine pieces of machines yet still and beats the plastic competition in every sense..

and for example SD 664 on the list was released just couple of weeks back.. and Cantar, zaxcoms nomad & maxx are not that old either.. we are living pretty interesting times regarding pro recorders! I mean .. mixer-recorders! :)

Cheers

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 09:37:39 AM by hoccusfoccus »

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 09:52:42 AM »
YEP, you are right Hoccusfoccus;

I meant two-channel portable recorders (of course from my own perspective/need).
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline udovdh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 04:39:25 AM »
Perhaps the phantom power market is smaller than the plugin power market and they haven't even realized the full potential of PIP!
I mean: give us 5V or 9V or so.

Offline RichT

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:42 AM »
Part of the reason might be that there's already established competition- I think their field recorders are aimed more at reporters/broadcasters and musicians.  If you want a professional level 2ch box you've already got the well proven Sound Devices machines and the Nagra SD (which is around the same price as a 722). 

You can use a Denecke or Canford P48 adaptor with the PCM-D-50 and it sounds pretty good, although your input is on a minijack, which isn't too secure

Sony released a mixer a few years back, but I'm not aware of anyone who's used one (it was expensive and didn't offer much in terms of routing): http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/mixers/dmx-p01/overview#overview

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »

As another poster has mentioned, the D50 and XLR1 (http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/product-XLR1/) are essentially an updated version of the D10. Perhaps the reason why Sony has not updated their product offerings is that they really got everything right the first time with the D50 and there is no need to release a successor. If you look at subsequent offerings by companies like Sound Devices, and Tascam, the difference is in form factor and number of channels offered, not in quality of internal D/A for example. If all you are seeking is two channel recording, the D50 and XLR1 combination is as good as any.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:34 AM »
My understanding is that e.g. the SD788 has a different internal A/D than the lower series.

I am afraid that if I buy a 722 or an equivalent machine now, I may end up with  old A/D in one year time.  Am I wrong on this?
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
My understanding is that e.g. the SD788 has a different internal A/D than the lower series.

I am afraid that if I buy a 722 or an equivalent machine now, I may end up with  old A/D in one year time.  Am I wrong on this?

In my view, the next big jump in A/D converters will be when 32 bit recording becomes the new standard. I don't know what sonic advantage 32 bit has over 24 bit recording, as I have never heard a 32 bit recording. I would not expect significant advances in 24 bit converters in the future, however.  I also have no idea when 32 bit recording will be all that popular, as it would take additional storage space at all levels of the chain to make it practical for its wide usage.

In the past, getting a good 16 bit A/D was important because the technology was still fairly new and better 16 bit A/Ds came out with some regularity.  With 24 bit A/D converters, there is a sense, at least in my view, that the technology has matured and the differences between these converters are not as pronounced as with the 16 bit ones.  Going from the stock A/D in the Sony D8 to an outboard Apogee unit was a huge jump in quality.  The jump isn't as large when going from a D50 to a Sound Devices unit, for example, especially when factoring in cost.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Napo

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 11:57:17 AM »
Crystal clear, jlykos. Thank you.
CA-11's>CA-9200>M10

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »
If all you are seeking is two channel recording, the D50 and XLR1 combination is as good as any.

I've never used a XLR1, but it seems extremely expensive for what it offers (around $450 for just phantom power and no amplification).

Is there any reason why a D50 and Tinybox combo wouldn't be better? I know it'd be a lot cheaper.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »

nope, the ADC in the 722 is the same as in the 788. it is the preamp control that changed, they went from a manual to a digital control.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 01:25:46 PM »

nope, the ADC in the 722 is the same as in the 788. it is the preamp control that changed, they went from a manual to a digital control.

I thought it was the entire pre amp stage that was improved over the older 7xx units not just the gain control.

Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.257 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com