Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBM-1 peak light  (Read 4086 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
SBM-1 peak light
« on: January 28, 2005, 12:35:15 PM »
Anyone know at what reading the SBM-1 peak light comes on?  0db?  I need to use it to calibrate my SVU-1.

thanks doods
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re: SBM-1 peak light
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2005, 12:39:52 PM »
IME it hits around -2dB, but calibration may vary.  I'd record something, note when it lights, and then check the levels in a WAV editor.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 12:47:04 PM »
good idea!  +t man
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 02:53:10 PM »
good idea! +t man

Let me know if you found out anything concrete.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 10:07:51 PM »
Slightly OT, but I am just listening to my first tapes going 4061-> Mod SBM-1 -> NJB3;  That damn SBM-1 is really, really warm - Dave, your tapes have gotta be warm as hell w/ the m148 -> mod sbm-1!   ;)

I don't know about the SBM-1 peak lights.  What I am noticing is that going 4061->SP-SPSB-1->Mod SBM-1, I've really yet to peak it, even at some loud spl's in a local bar... I am thinking that the SVU-1 might be unnecessary since I'm not even really getting close.

~Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 10:12:44 PM »
I am not sure the SVU is going to buy you anything....as long as you keep the SBM1 light "pop" to flickers at most...you dont really need to track any levels...when I stealth the lights on the sbm are sometimes my only guide...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 10:15:26 PM »
see, alot of the time I am not technically "stealthing" - more just taping using my body as a stand in HRTF... lol -

What do you run in front of the SBM-1 when stealthing?  Even when I have my levels cranked, its not coming close to peaking... honestly, to a certain extent, its kinda cool, but I do miss out on dymanic range with it behaving like this.  BUt, its nice to not have to worry about peaking...

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »
let me amend- with the levels jacked at a loud, loud bar, I am getting about -1.5 or -1.6 peaks in my recording....

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2005, 11:18:56 PM »
I run a MP2 in front of it...

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 12:25:45 AM »
Slightly OT, but I am just listening to my first tapes going 4061-> Mod SBM-1 -> NJB3; That damn SBM-1 is really, really warm - Dave, your tapes have gotta be warm as hell w/ the m148 -> mod sbm-1! ;)

That's how I like em, nice and toasty 8)
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 07:47:05 AM »
Slightly OT, but I am just listening to my first tapes going 4061-> Mod SBM-1 -> NJB3;  That damn SBM-1 is really, really warm - Dave, your tapes have gotta be warm as hell w/ the m148 -> mod sbm-1!   ;)

I don't know about the SBM-1 peak lights.  What I am noticing is that going 4061->SP-SPSB-1->Mod SBM-1, I've really yet to peak it, even at some loud spl's in a local bar... I am thinking that the SVU-1 might be unnecessary since I'm not even really getting close.

~Andrew

welcome to the club!!!

+t

see, alot of the time I am not technically "stealthing" - more just taping using my body as a stand in HRTF... lol -

What do you run in front of the SBM-1 when stealthing?  Even when I have my levels cranked, its not coming close to peaking... honestly, to a certain extent, its kinda cool, but I do miss out on dymanic range with it behaving like this.  BUt, its nice to not have to worry about peaking...

that, my friend, is why i use bought the 4060 mics, and not the 4061 model...

+t backatcha.    Makes sense that the higher sensitivity model would give louder levels.  I'm pretty satisfied with the 4061's though, and they were the only ones that I could find used.

I'm thinking about trying to re-acquire an AD-20, so that I can have some tapes that aren't extremely warm too!

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com