Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pre Suggestions  (Read 3800 times)

Offline okietaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Pre Suggestions
« on: February 20, 2005, 09:20:22 AM »
I am about to purchase a preamp for my recording rig.  Before I make this purchase I wanted to get some questions answered by you guys first.  My current setup is C4>PS2>MD.  I am looking into purchasing an Edirol UA5 to replace the PS2 in my current setup.  I also eventually plan to replace the MD with my laptop.  What I need to know is the UA5 going to continue to meet my needs once I move from the MD to the laptop?  Can the UA5 feed directly into the laptop through the USB port?  I cannot reemember the model# of the new uit from Edirol that has fire wire, but would this unit be better for laptop recording?  It seems that fire wire would be more accurate and faster than regular old USB (not 2.0).  Any input is appreciated here!!

Thanks Guys

Offline SuperDave

• Needs to get out more...
  • Now that's a mandolin!
Re: Pre Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 12:57:50 PM »
A stock Ua-5(no mods at all) will work with your laptop just fine.  It's made to feed through USB.  However, I have heard that the USB signal can be glitchy.  I not speaking from experience here, I just read it somewhere on this board.  What I would recommend is getting it digi-modded to be a standalone preamp(you can also get some other mods for sound adjustment too) from Oade.com.  You'll have to then get a soundcard for your lappy that takes a digi-signal(coax or opti).  That way should you ever have to replace the lappy with something(MD, JB3, or Dat), you can still use the UA-5.  Unfortunately, the stock UA-5 doesn't work unless hooked up to a computer via USB, the digi-mod fixes that problem so that it can be used anywhere.         
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 01:05:43 PM »
What I would recommend is getting it digi-modded to be a standalone preamp(you can also get some other mods for sound adjustment too) from Oade.com. You'll have to then get a soundcard for your lappy that takes a digi-signal(coax or opti).

FYI, you could still run into your laptop from the UA5 via USB - the digi-mod will not disable this capability.  So...no need for a soundcard unless you don't want to use USB.  If memory serves, the UA5s USB output has proven stable at 16-bit and 24-bit/48kHz, but doesn't cut it for 24/96.  But hopefully some folks running UA5 > USB > laptop will chime in with a definitive answer.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline SuperDave

• Now that's a mandolin!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 01:32:10 PM »
What I would recommend is getting it digi-modded to be a standalone preamp(you can also get some other mods for sound adjustment too) from Oade.com. You'll have to then get a soundcard for your lappy that takes a digi-signal(coax or opti).

FYI, you could still run into your laptop from the UA5 via USB - the digi-mod will not disable this capability.  So...no need for a soundcard unless you don't want to use USB.  If memory serves, the UA5s USB output has proven stable at 16-bit and 24-bit/48kHz, but doesn't cut it for 24/96.  But hopefully some folks running UA5 > USB > laptop will chime in with a definitive answer.

Are you sure about the USB being functional after the mod?  I thought the digi-mod broke the connectivity to the USB.  Damn, I need to try that :)
I'm gonna go put my spacesuit on boys, then lets get this dirty cocksucker in the air! ...

Open Rig: ADK A-51 TL's > Oade Warm Mod UA-5 > Iriver H120/JB3
Stealth Rig: AT853 > SP-SPSB-10 > Iriver h120

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 02:18:32 PM »
Are you sure about the USB being functional after the mod?  I thought the digi-mod broke the connectivity to the USB.  Damn, I need to try that :)

The mod doesn't harm connectivity when going from ua5>laptop via usb, it will, however, keep you from using the ua5 as a d>a converter, i.e. going computer>usb>ua5>ua5's analog OUTs.

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 02:39:13 PM »
Can the other Edirol unit(cant remember the model #) that supports fire wire convert A/D through the firewire port?  Looking for something thta will just be the mics>pre>lappy.

I am concerned about the laptop that I have to use for recording. 
It is a COMPAQ Presario
1.0Ghz
512MB RAM
20GB HDD
USB X 2
IEEE1394

What do ya think?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 03:30:17 PM »
Can the other Edirol unit(cant remember the model #) that supports fire wire convert A/D through the firewire port? Looking for something thta will just be the mics>pre>lappy.

The UA5 will allow you to run mics > UA5 (USB-out) > laptop.  And with the digi-mod will also allow you to run mics > UA5 > other recording device via the coax or optical outputs - either independently or simultaneously with a laptop.

I think the other device about which you're wondering is the FA101.  It definitely will allow you to run mics > FA101 (firewire-out) > laptop.  Dunno if it'll allow you to output to other devices either independently or simultaneously - maybe someone more familiar with one will know.

They also have a new firewire pre/ADC device, the FA66.  Don't know much about it other than the specs on the page, though.

Not a lot of help, I know, but...maybe someone'll chime in.
Roland R-05

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »
Just confirming USB still works fine after digi-mod.  In fact you can record 24 bit USB and feed a JB3 off the optical as a backup (truncated to 16).  I never bothered with 24/96 but I'm sure it's one of those things that you could get working if it doesn't at first.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2005, 09:46:55 AM »
OK I am going to order the UA5 today.  I was thinking about it and I have more questions about this which I am sure that you guys will find stupidly insane.  Here goes.  I am planning to run the UA5 into my laptop in the long run, but I have to purchase a battery first.  This may take some time sine I will be depleating the vast majority of my funds by purchasing the UA5.  In the meantime I plan to use it in conjunction with my minidisc.  Bringing the digital sound to the MD is not a problem with the UA5, but when I take the music from MD to PC I will lose the digital aspect and thereby some of the quality.  OK, so here is my question.  Can I use the UA5 in reverse order to run the MD digitally through it to my PC via the USB to keep the sound digital?  Remember I am a total newbie to recording and I know nothing so the most obvious think may have not been considered when conceptualizing this question.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2005, 09:56:39 AM »
but I have to purchase a battery first. This may take some time sine I will be depleating the vast majority of my funds by purchasing the UA5.

You could save a few bucks by building your own battery pack, check the Archive | Remote Power forum for details.

Can I use the UA5 in reverse order to run the MD digitally through it to my PC via the USB to keep the sound digital?

I believe so, yes.  The UA5 resamples digital inputs, so it isn't ideal - no resampling is better - BUT resampling the digi signal as you pass it from MD > UA5 > PC is far better than MD > analog > PC!
Roland R-05

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2005, 03:39:45 PM »
Can I use the UA5 in reverse order to run the MD digitally through it to my PC via the USB to keep the sound digital?

Prolly not, because your MD doesn't likely have a digital output (unless you have a separate md deck with digi out).  So you'll go:
md (analog out) > UA-5 (analog in) > PC (USB)

So yes, there's an extra d>a>d stage that's unavoidable, but the UA-5 does a good job (certainly better than most pc soundcards).  You could also save your minidiscs and find someone who can do a digital transfer for you.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com